i30 Owners Club

Great Service Experience

FatBoy · 7 · 2759

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
We've all heard the "bad" service experience, where the "service" from the dealer or garage was not what you had hoped for.  But what about "good" experiences?  I'll give an example which happened to my wife a few years ago.

I was serving (still am) in the Navy and on a long deployment.  My wife gave birth to our second child ten days before I left, and as such, we had moved down to Hobart so she could be near her family.  About three months into the deployment, my wife sent me an email asking about a place to get the car serviced.  I suggested that she just use the local garage, as she could walk home with both kids, as it was only about 1km from our house.

After booking the car in and checking in, she went back out to the car to get the kids and pram out.  The mechanic there asked her what she was doing, and she replied that she was getting the kids out to walk them home.  He said to her, "Don't be stupid," or words to that effect, got her to get in the car, and then he drove her and the kids home in our car, where he helped get the kids out.  At the end of the day, he dropped the car off, with the bill, and said to her, "Just drop in and pay it next time you are driving past." 

This was fantastic customer service from a small garage, which then had a repeat customer (we also told all our friends about it).

Just think about it, it cost the mechanic 10 minutes of his time to do the running around, but it almost guaranteed him repeat business.  Not only nice customer service, but good business as well.

During our time in Tassie, he moved from the back of the local servo, to a purpose built workshop just around the corner (much larger scale).  I wonder why that is?

FatBoy

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
Great story, and it just goes to prove what a little effort can do.   :goodjob:

Whilst not in the same class of story; I once had the service manager come to me during a brake change and ask if I'd heard a whine from the rear end?  I'd not noticed but he said it might be the LSD starting to slip (I thought it was meant to do that?) and he could do it under warranty BUT only if I noticed it (nudge nudge winke etc..).  I know they got revenue out of it but I thought it was good of him to spot it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
At the end of the day, he dropped the car off, with the bill, and said to her, "Just drop in and pay it next time you are driving past." 

Now how many would allow you to do this today?

Most will hang on to the keys until you have paid up

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had a Ford Falcon a couple of years back and coming home one day it chucked a fan belt. I managed to limp home without cooking the engine but was stumped as to how I was gonna get a new belt. As I lived 7k's out of town I got a taxi into town and back. I then found I didn't have the required tools to fit it myself so out of desperation I rang a local garage and the owner offered to come out after he shut up shop for the day.
Anyhow, he eventually turned up, fitted the belt and only charged me $20.

To say I was wrapped would be an understatement!  :D

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
In Cologne, W. Germany 1970, had a big end seize in a 2000 Lt V4 Ford Capri. Ford Dealer low loaded the car off the autobahn, dropped the sump, removed the complete piston etc. wrapped copper tape around the crankshaft journal which was contained by a jubilee clip, (to seal the oil way), filled up with oil, replaced sump. I told him from the outset I had very little money, the Mechanic just smiled and said "Essex Moteur, nicht good, kaput, V4 not balanced, Deutch use V6, always happens on Essex V4, we help".
Told me to send the money when I got home to "Engerlond". (which I did straightaway).
Drove back no problems - still have the Invoice priced in Deutch Marks.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In Cologne, W. Germany 1970, had a big end seize in a 2000 Lt V4 Ford Capri. Ford Dealer low loaded the car off the autobahn, dropped the sump, removed the complete piston etc. wrapped copper tape around the crankshaft journal which was contained by a jubilee clip, (to seal the oil way), filled up with oil, replaced sump. I told him from the outset I had very little money, the Mechanic just smiled and said "Essex Moteur, nicht good, kaput, V4 not balanced, Deutch use V6, always happens on Essex V4, we help".
Told me to send the money when I got home to "Engerlond". (which I did straightaway).
Drove back no problems - still have the Invoice priced in Deutch Marks.

Would they still do it in 2011?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
I think the answer is in your question.... :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal