i30 Owners Club

Adding autolights in DIY way ?

Offline marcopolo

• 1st Gear
Hello to everybody !
I've got 2011 i30 CRDi and I'd like to ask you is it possible to add autolight functionality to i30 ?
I've got automatic A/C and of course photo sensor at dashboard. At multifunction (lights) switch I've also all 13 wires, with "AUTO" wire also. It is enough to byu and plug new multifunction switch with "AUTO" option ? Or I need to put on some new wires or do litte workout in my car ?

When I shorted "AUTO" (no. 10 in light switch plug) wire to the "GND" (no.1 in plug) head light turned on (without dash illumination), but there wasn'n no reaction to changing of light level (turned on both in dark garrage, as at direct sunlight).

Has anybody experiences with this topic ? Anybody can help ?

• 2010 FHD D4FB

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi marcopolo

Can't help you with your question, but hopefully someone else can.

:wttc:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: including the Welcome..

Great idea, but not aware of any of our members trying that... they may now!  :goodjob:

Good luck with it!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marcopolo

• 1st Gear
Can you describe me how works OEM autolights installed by factory ?
1. What is amount of light to switch lamps off ? Handy torch, 60w bulb, clear sunhine shining directly to sensor ?
2. How long is time of reaction ? Lamps switches immediately after changes of lights or with delay ? For example please put your hand on sensor.
3. If dashboard illumination switches on with headlamps in "AUTO" mode ? Or only lamps and indicator on cluser without illumination ?

I hope this knowlegde will help with this mod.
Of course I'm waiting for any advices from people who did this mod before or know something about i30's  :wink:
  • 2010 FHD D4FB

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have not had auto lights on an i30 but, I have on several other vehicles.. It only needs a bit of shade, like a tree or driving under an overpass to trigger them. Usually, the sensitivity can be adjusted via a menu system somewhere to make them come on more or less often.. don't know if that helps at all..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I was thinking about this a long time ago, its actually pretty easy in thought,
as the interior light is on a timer fade circuit,
so in my thinking if you got a relay and tapped into the dome/interior light.
the headlights should stay on till you either click lock on your remote or off with the fade delay?

• 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I was thinking about this a long time ago, its actually pretty easy in thought,
as the interior light is on a timer fade circuit,
so in my thinking if you got a relay and tapped into the dome/interior light.
the headlights should stay on till you either click lock on your remote or off with the fade delay?

This probably would not work. The fade circuit is most likely a resistor capacitor combination. The energised capacitor slowly dissipates its energy through the light and the resistor. The resistor value determines how long the light stays on, but the light energy to the capacitor is actually cut by the door switch on closing. There is very little energy left in the system and to put any additional load on will cause the light to extinguish almost immediately. A simpler way would be to incorporate a 555 timer and relay to handle the headlights directly from the headlight switch IMO. The 555 can be delayed from milliseconds to minutes depending on component construction values.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
hmm good point, forgot all about the 555 's
i was more thinking tap the power to the light as a trigger to an additional relay, then run separate power from the relay like normal.
But its all canbus controlled so itd probably screw stuff up.
I used to have an old car that i had a similar setup so you could get out leave all the windows down, shut the doors and walk away...time delay would trigger the relay in turn powering the  close of all the windows.  hahaha

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But there is no power to the light once the door is closed. There is only residual power in the capacitor and any extra load e.g. a relay coil, would shorten the timing back to nearly instantaneous off.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:28:33 by Phil №❶ »

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Ohh ok cool it all becomes clear, I thought it was justa. time delay circuit controlled by canbus makes sense i suppose

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

• 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi auto
Hello to everybody !
I've got 2011 i30 CRDi and I'd like to ask you is it possible to add autolight functionality to i30 ?
I've got automatic A/C and of course photo sensor at dashboard. At multifunction (lights) switch I've also all 13 wires, with "AUTO" wire also. It is enough to byu and plug new multifunction switch with "AUTO" option ? Or I need to put on some new wires or do litte workout in my car ?

When I shorted "AUTO" (no. 10 in light switch plug) wire to the "GND" (no.1 in plug) head light turned on (without dash illumination), but there wasn'n no reaction to changing of light level (turned on both in dark garrage, as at direct sunlight).

Has anybody experiences with this topic ? Anybody can help ?

It sounds to me like the "AUTO" wire is an output, not an input. In other words, there's a strong possibility that all you need is the switch and the sensor trigger/logic is another wire, but I'm just guessing. I have a 2009 SX diesel to which I've added steering wheel audio buttons that are plug-and-play with the right clockspring and steering wheel wire loom. I'm in the process of adding DIY OEM cruise control as well, which is not quite as plug-and-play but not as hard as you might think. The ECU programming and most of the wiring is all there. I imagine it's the same with most of the other optional gear.

I would be interested in doing this as well. My SX does automatically turn all the lights off even if the switch is left on, so the headlight control does seem to be in the ECU and is definitely not just a simple electrical switch. (I don't even have auto AC.) The auto headlights of my previous vehicle had me spoiled.
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi Auto

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

• 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi auto
I've been giving this a lot of thought today, and it is entirely possible that there is not actually a sensor in that dash housing and they just used a live wire to bypass it. If so, all hope is not lost. You should still be able to replace the light switch with the automatic version and simply add a simple photocell circuit to the "auto" wire in order to add the functionality. My inclination is to go ahead and just swap out the switch, and if it doesn't work plug-and-play then add a photocell circuit. I'm sure locating a simple schematic for that will be easy, and one may even be able to buy a ready-made photocell kit at places like adafruit.com or Jaycar Electronics.

I just did a quick web search and this description of a photocell :link: Overview | Photocells | Adafruit Learning System explains how they work. That implies my initial post was correct and all you need is to swap the light switch. If not, then all you need is to add a photocell with a simple circuit in the "auto" wire to add the functionality with an OEM auto switch. Or, you could leave your original switch undisturbed, add the photocell circuit to the "auto" wire through an added generic dash switch to ground, and you're done. Shouldn't be too difficult regardless of how you go about it.

And here's a simple circuit that should do the job: :link: How To Make A Dark Sensor In the comments it explains how to modify the circuit for either light or dark sensing and adding a trimpot for adjustability. (Note that it's designed to light an LED with a 9V battery, so resistor values may need to be modified.)

Hmm... I wonder if one could cannibalize one of those cheap solar lights that come on at dusk and off at dawn to get all the components you need. They probably work differently by using the solar cell (which is really a huge photodiode) and no photoresistor (aka photocell), but some of those have pretty small solar cells that would be fairly unobtrusive if carefully placed. It would probably require the addition of a small relay, though.

Bear in mind that no matter how it's done, this circuit should not turn on the lights unless the ignition is on, otherwise it will run your battery down every night. (Yeah, I know it's obvious, but it's also easy to overlook.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:18:36 by wolfmane »
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi Auto

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
But there is no power to the light once the door is closed. There is only residual power in the capacitor and any extra load e.g. a relay coil, would shorten the timing back to nearly instantaneous off.

Not true. I have LEDs for the map and the central dome lights. Unless their switches are off, they will always glow ever so slightly, just enough to be able to tell how many individual LEDs comprise each of those lights. It will be like this indefinitely, days, weeks, take your pick, so there is residual voltage present. Power is only turned off "properly" when the switches are set to "OFF".

All the above valid for the "operated by the door" position.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Given that led's require a minuscule amount of power to "glow" the amount of power resident at power off is nowhere near enough to be useful at all. This is proven by the ordinary globes not being able to glow at all. I suspect that the residual glow for the led's is as a result of a secondary source of power from an unrelated device. The wiring for the lights is part of the total wiring loom involving the total electronics of the car.

If the residual power can't light led's, it would be totally useless for a relay or similar device, effectively, off.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Never said it would be useful for anything, I just stated that something is connected when the switches are on door operation. But just for kicks I'm going to put a Fluke on it to see how much residual is there really.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Could be an interesting figure  :exclaim:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Any residual would be abnormal. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline marcopolo

• 1st Gear
Welcome again !

Auto light control works ! It needs changing of dashboard's photosensor and multifunction switch.

REMEMBER THAT YOU USE THIS INFORMATION FOR YOUR OWN RISK.
I cannot guarentee you that it will works in your vehicle and you don't destroy anything.

There are three types of photosensors in FHD vehicles:
1. 97253-1D100 - sensor for automatic A/C (this was in my car)
2. 97253-1D200 - only auto lights control (if you've got manual A/C, it's for you)
3. 97253-1D300 - sensor for auto light and auto A/C (i changed my old for this- it works !)
And of course three kinds of multifunction switch:
1. 93410-2R020 - only with rear fog light
2. 93410-2R030 - with front and rear fog light (this was in my car)
3. 93410-2R050 - front and rear fog light plus AUTO functionality (i've installed this and works !)

All wires were in my car. Just plug and play !

How to check is your car ready for this feature ?
Just pot off photosensor from dashboard (ex. with knife or screwdriver). If you can see plug with all pins busy (6pin) it's right.
This way you can change multifunction switch - just put off cover and look on plug. There should be 13 pins with one free.

Sorry, no photos - but it is simple  :wink:

--------------------

Still no dashboard illumination in AUTO mode. Only green control lamp in instrument cluster.
In your's car also ?

• 2010 FHD D4FB

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal