i30 Owners Club

Difficulty removing positive battery terminal (2018 i30)

Offline moohoof

• 1st Gear

• Not applicable
I am trying to replace the battery in a 2018 i30 SE NAV T-GDI S-A, as it didn't hold up well during a recent cold snap. However, I can't seem to remove the positive battery terminal (pictured). The negative one is straightforward, but the assembly of the positive lead seems to be held in place by electrical cables that have no give/leeway.

Has anyone had any experience in removing these?

From looking at it, I think it should be just a matter of loosening the lower nut in the first picture, and then lifting the assembly, but there is no slack in the cable to do this.

• I30 SE NAV T-GDI S-A

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My car, 2012, is same set up.

Just looked and mine has no give so interested in solution as still with its original battery.

Keep thinking it will let me down one morning and should I replace sooner rather than wait for dooms day should our cold weather continues.

Ps
At moment still starts first turn and no evidence of failing but......... Expect it will just fail with no warning.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
See this video of battery removal on a PD. :link: Hyundai i30 - Battery Replacement - YouTube
From that you need a 10mm and 12mm socket.

I wonder if cold weather could make the cable appear stiff, not a lot of movement should be needed to lift off the connection.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Update

Had another look at my battery.

There is a bolt which appears to hold a fitting which in turn holds the wire taught, circuled in picture.

I presume this bolt is loosened/removed just like the bolt holding the secure rod.

Also, once the terminals are loose and away from the terminals I should be able to move the battery into the space on the left, see arrowe, which again will give slack to the wires.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Did you manage to replace the battery?

If so, how did you remove the positive connection to get enough slack?

Offline moohoof

• 1st Gear

• Not applicable
Apologies for the slow update on this: in the end, I removed the negative connection and wiggled the battery back and forth to reduce the tension in the positive end a bit. That let me lift the connection about halfway up the terminal, at which point I lifted the negative end of the battery to help create more slack. Once the positive lead was off there was no trouble reattaching it after the battery was replaced.
  • I30 SE NAV T-GDI S-A

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Cheers for update

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal