i30 Owners Club

tourer towbar

paul · 19 · 7215

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
fitted witter towbar not an easy job, even with the dedicated wiring kit.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good job, Paul...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I've ordered a towbar with my new i30 tourer (which still hasn't arrived).  It will be interesting to see what it's like.
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I've ordered a towbar with my new i30 tourer (which still hasn't arrived).  It will be interesting to see what it's like.

Not the easiest one ive done, especially the amount of strip down to route the cables.
although it says in my instructions to remove back bumper it was possible to remove the bottom fixings (4 off)
and flex it enough to squeeze the bar behind.
there was also no mention of having to remove a big plastic udershield and leave it off !

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I have to say that's the most hideous looking towbar I have ever seen. I thought european designers have a little more sense than that... I saw one just like this on a Peugeot wagon, sticking out like, err, donkey's private.

I get that you don't need to cut the rear bumper with this, but on looks alone it would be a definite no go for me. Never mind the shin pads one needs to wear around the back of the cars fitted with this kind of towbar.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I have to say that's the most hideous looking towbar I have ever seen. I thought european designers have a little more sense than that... I saw one just like this on a Peugeot wagon, sticking out like, err, donkey's private.

I get that you don't need to cut the rear bumper with this, but on looks alone it would be a definite no go for me. Never mind the shin pads one needs to wear around the back of the cars fitted with this kind of towbar.

keeps my back bumper being hit by other people squeezing in to parking places.
ITS a towbar, if you hadn't noticed they do stick out behind the car lol :confused:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
It wasn't a go against you Paul  You fit what you can get I guess. Down Under we have much better designs that have better looks and higher load ratings. Mine (that is a Hyman Reece type hitch) only protrudes about 10 mm past the bumper surface when not in use. If I need it, slot in and pin the "sticking out" part with the tow ball in 5 seconds. It's sold as a genuine Hyundai accessory. For the FD.

I posted a few photos here: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11217.0 Nothing showing the outside, but some of the main parts are visible.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The LINK within the LINK no workie here   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Search for topic title "Yet Another Towbar question"
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I spoke to my local Hyundai dealer who told me the Witter bar is the same one they fit to
my  model ?
And must meet EC specs.....................

The EC specification requirements using computer controlled servo-hydraulic test rigs which put towbars through a punishing two million cycle fatigue test.

The requirements became mandatory under European Law from the 1st January 1998 and were implemented in the UK on the 1st August 1998.

This means only towbars Type Approved to 94/20 EC can be fitted to any light passenger vehicles first registered on or after 1st August 1998. All new Witter towbars for light passenger vehicles are designed, tested and certified to 94/20 EC

I know there are other manufacturers and models, but this is the one I chose after consulting with the dealer.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Doesn't make it any less hideous... Our towbars are designed to stringent specifications too, so the same purpose (towing a load) can obviously be achieved via less appalling esthetics.

BTW why are you getting so defensive Paul? It's not like I blame you for the  ugliness of that towbar... You didn't design them, did you? Simply it's just an opinion based on visual aspect of other designs around the world.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I don't imagine my new towbar will be the most stylish thing I've seen, but after two and a half years without a towbar I'm hanging for the new car to arrive.  My wife has lots of work she needs done! :-[
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Not getting defensive Hati, yours is the detachable towbar, they do them here too, but I bought the permanently fixed  one
because I want the protection from people hitting my bumper when parking, and using it so often I would have to carry it around anyway, and keep taking it on and off,so to pay the extra and leave it on full time would be a waste of money.
It sticks out 100mm in total inc the ball, 4" in English lol.
However in defense.
I don't study donkeys privates, however my girlfriend says it looks like a black mans willy, ( I don't study them either )
maybe you have ?
I await your comment. :snigger:

ps time for a new girlfriend me thinks. :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

You're having a bad run! First an ugly wife and now a g/f who knows all about black men's willies!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
ROFL No I'm not in a business of getting friendly with donkeys, but heard/read somewhere that the type of tow bar you have is called like that.

My other issue with that kind of bar is that when you go up onto a steep driveway, you will drag it on the ground. We do have the fixed bars here too, but all the bars here are based on a nice chunk of flat metal bar pocking out from under the car. Like I mentioned above, I have seen one on a Pug, must have come with the car from France, as you cannot buy these type of bars over here at all. It certainly didn't help improve the image of the vehicle.

Either way, this is just my opinion, nothing more nothing less ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Not getting defensive Hati, yours is the detachable towbar, they do them here too, but I bought the permanently fixed  one
because I want the protection from people hitting my bumper when parking, and using it so often I would have to carry it around anyway, and keep taking it on and off,so to pay the extra and leave it on full time would be a waste of money.
It sticks out 100mm in total inc the ball, 4" in English lol.
However in defense.
I don't study donkeys privates, however my girlfriend says it looks like a black mans willy, ( I don't study them either )
maybe you have ?
I await your comment. :snigger:

Your towing ball looks just fine to me, and, for exactly the same reasons.  These reasons had more credence whit cars which have inline front engines, because if they rear end you bang goes their radiator, game over  :rofl:...

Speaking about rear ending could you send the girlfriend round here so that she can check out and see if mine is smaller than a coloured gentleman's willy.  The examination wouldn't take too long  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:   

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
ROFL No I'm not in a business of getting friendly with donkeys, but heard/read somewhere that the type of tow bar you have is called like that.

My other issue with that kind of bar is that when you go up onto a steep driveway, you will drag it on the ground. We do have the fixed bars here too, but all the bars here are based on a nice chunk of flat metal bar pocking out from under the car. Like I mentioned above, I have seen one on a Pug, must have come with the car from France, as you cannot buy these type of bars over here at all. It certainly didn't help improve the image of the vehicle.

Either way, this is just my opinion, nothing more nothing less ;)

Hi Hati

I'm just opposite to you.

I find those flat steel bar towballs looking weird. I think it's just because I'm used to the EU type style.  :D

I have the detachable towbar on my hatch, as this is the only legal type on the hatch, because the towbar hide the reg. plate.

I have never had the towbar hit the ground even when towing the caravan around.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I find those flat steel bar towballs looking weird. I think it's just because I'm used to the EU type style. 

Hit the nail on the head I think.

I have never had the towbar hit the ground even when towing the caravan around.

I didn't mean scraping under normal towing duties. I'm talking about driving off the road onto a driveway that is going up a steep hill. We have a lot of those in certain parts of Perth. You can easily scrape even our flat style towbar. Been there done that ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Speaking about rear ending could you send the girlfriend round here so that she can check out and see if mine is smaller than a coloured gentleman's willy.  The examination wouldn't take too long  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Asathorny. She says, what is your address, she has a couple of minutes spare and is on her way   :Shocked:

And Hati, IF you have a wife or girlfriend, she would like my towbar coz it's BIGGER than yours. :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal