i30 Owners Club

Burning smell 19k+ miles

Offline stevestate

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Hello,

I  have a burning rubber or burnt clutch smell coming from my i30. I only notice it when I exit the vehicle and it seems to come from underneath the car rather then the bonnet. No smoke. I'm the second owner and bought it when there was 13k miles on the clock. It's now done 19k miles but the smell has only just appeared. I noticed there are other forum topics concerning this but they tend to be brand new i30s. I use the car for work and most of my journeys tend to be in the 15-20 mile bracket but I notice the smell from shorter journeys.

I'm a car novice so please bear that in mind!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
  • Hyundai i30 silver 1.4

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you looked underneath the vehicle and bonnet? checked the tyres?

I had a plastic shopping bag stuck to my exhaust once which took weeks to burn away.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: I was thinking it might be the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) doing a regeneration burn, until I saw you have a 1.4 Ltr, which I assume is a petrol. We only get 1.6 Ltr Diesel and no 1.4 Petrol in OZ...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Burning clutch and burning rubber tend to smell quite different (to me at least).

Can you smell it more when you open the bonnet?

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
I have that too in my almost brand new i30 I have had since September last year (1st owner), it's petrol, it has intermittently had a burning (oil? rubber?) since I brought it home.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal