i30 Owners Club

12 month service due

CraigB · 9 · 3187

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Car is booked in for it's 12 month service next week, a couple of small issues that require attention is the Cruise Control sometimes fails to activate and the front passenger seat sensor also fails sometimes and doesn't register that someone is sitting in the seat so the seatbelt warning alarm doesn't alert when the belt isn't plugged in.

Another thing I've mentioned to them are flat spots in the acceleration, I had an ECU update a month ago for this but there has been another update just released so it'll be interesting to see if this new update does a better job at fixing the flat spots ( the latest update also fixes several problems with the 1.8ltrs as well including rough idling )

I'm also supplying my own oil so service will give me a $42 + GST price reduction off the capped price  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 00:31:53 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had the service done today and all good aside from those promises that the new ECU update would fix my flat spot problem and once they plugged it in the unit said there was no update for my 1.6ltr :rolleyes: the new oil I'm using has made a noticeable difference to the smoothness of the engine though so I'm happy with that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :fum: :goodjob: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Had the service done today and all good aside from those promises that the new ECU update would fix my flat spot problem and once they plugged it in the unit said there was no update for my 1.6ltr :rolleyes: the new oil I'm using has made a noticeable difference to the smoothness of the engine though so I'm happy with that.
What oil did you use?

My car will be needing its 12month service in a few months, and I will likely provide my own oil.   I was thinking about Penrite Enviro+GF-5 5W-30.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I use Royal Purple HPS 5w30 and have done for more than 15 years, originally recommended to me from fellow members at the race club and it's proven it's self time and time again to give benefits and protect where no other can. 

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/index.php?ptl=a2_rp_motor_oil_hps.php It notes on the website that this oil is not api listed and to use the standard Royal Purple but this is not true as my distributor contacted head office direct and got the "whitepaper" approval which now states that the HPS synthetic oil is approved and exceeds the specifications of their standard api synthetic oils.

Note that royal isn't available from your usual shops as it's an exclusive oil only obtained from their listed distributers at around $97 for 5ltr's

If your looking for a more reasonably priced oil I'd suggest Nulon as resent tests done in Germany placed Nulon at the top of the range for commonly available oils.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for that!   I saw many positive reviews about Royal Purple and its use in high-performance applications, but then I noticed that it's priced like liquid gold. :'(

I'll investigate Nulon.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the price is high but you get what you pay for - it's the only oil I know of that can still protect an engine after oil pressure loss preventing further damage, it will also repair severely scratched bores and give better lubrication, better fuel economy, better seals between rings and bores.

Royal are also the only company that I know of that guarantees 12000 miles 19200km's " beneficial for those 15000km service intervals " :)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
 :idea:  You're starting to convince me.  $97 once a year sounds like a good long-term investment if it keeps the engine healthy. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
$97 once a year sounds like a good long-term investment if it keeps the engine healthy.
That's my thinking :) you can get the cheaper standard Royal oil ( not sure how much ) the only real difference is the percentage of Synerlec contained between the two types, HPS is the higher of course and it's the Synerlec technology that you're paying for.
My distributer here can get the standard Royal synthetic api oil in by special order but he doesn't stock it because the HPS is better and what everyone wants an prefers to use.

When it comes to servicing you should get a discount for supplying your own oil, my $219 capped service ended up costing me $150, was supposed to be $42 dollars off but I got $69 off in the end and I wasn't going to question why :D also stick with the Hyundai oil filter as this is an area where Hyundai can start playing up and refuse to cover in the event of a engine warranty problem.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal