i30 Owners Club

Steering Rack to be replaced

Duke750 · 14 · 6817

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
I have just returned from the service dept - the steering rack needs to be replaced on my SX. The symptoms were a grating and grinding noise when turning the wheel at low speeds.

Only 7,000kms

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Streuth  :shock:  unlucky mate. At least it's been caught early
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What was the build date on your car?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quote from: "eye30"
What was the build date on your car?

My guess is a Friday afternoon at 4.55pm... ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
My SLX had a rattling / loose feel intermittently when you rocked the steering wheel left and right whilst standing still. I told them at the 15000km service and they have ordered a new steering rack also.

My question will be should they be doing a wheel alignment after the rack is replaced??

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Absolutely they must do a wheel alignment when changing the rack. And Hyundai will pay the dealer for it so don't let the dealer try to charge you or deny it needs doing.

There was a technical bulletin about the squeaking/grinding noise when turning the wheel, it does not require replacement of the rack although I believe some dealers have done so. Hyundai says not to replace for that concern as it doesn't fix it. It's a clearance issue at the bottom of the steering column.

The noise/clunk timmmmm refers to sounds like it might be an internal noise in the rack, certainly if the dealer has diagnosed it as such I would go with that. Remember what a steering rack goes through on the road, it's not surprising one occasionally falls over!

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Thanks for that - I presumed a wheel alignment would be required, I haven't had any dramas with my limited dealings with the dealer so I don't have any reason to think I will have a problem now...

I Hope...

Pip
I have a "rattle" that shows on corrugations.  Not surprising to hear some noise of course but this is a knocking kind of rattle that I immediately suspected was from the steering rack and loud enough to alert me that it certainly didn't sound right.  Done it from new.  I was reminded of it again recently when going over some small corrugations, even at very low speed.  5km/h maybe.

Does this sound similar to the problems others have mentioned here or with anyone else's experience?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Does this sound similar to the problems others have mentioned here or with anyone else's experience?

The final 200m or so of my trip home is via a back street (due to a new enforced one-way system  :twisted: ) which is totally cobbled, if that means anything. I keep Fergie in 2nd over these cobbles and the rattle I get is very disconcerting. However, as it is only the once each day, for such a short period, I've always ignored it. Might mention it now, though, at my next service which is due in around a month.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip

The final 200m or so of my trip home is via a back street (due to a new enforced one-way system  :twisted: ) which is totally cobbled, if that means anything. I keep Fergie in 2nd over these cobbles and the rattle I get is very disconcerting. However, as it is only the once each day, for such a short period, I've always ignored it. Might mention it now, though, at my next service which is due in around a month.

We don't have many cobble-stoned roads here just pot-holed and corrugated unmade roads but I would say they would excite this rattle in the exact same way!  So sounds like a design feature then.  :eek:

I'll be interested to hear the explanation from the service.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Some "rack rattle" can be expected on some types of rough surfaces, although some cars do it more than others. It's frequently a result of the internals of the rack being rattled around inside the housing. If the rack doesn't have play in it or any bizarre tight spots, it's nothing to worry about. It it starts making noises on smooth roads, then it's worth looking in to.

It certainly can't hurt to mention at the service department though, it's easy enough for them to make sure that everything is ok under there.  :D

Pip
I have a "rattle" that shows on corrugations.  Not surprising to hear some noise of course but this is a knocking kind of rattle that I immediately suspected was from the steering rack and loud enough to alert me that it certainly didn't sound right.  Done it from new.  I was reminded of it again recently when going over some small corrugations, even at very low speed.  5km/h maybe.

Update:

Rattle still there but now I also have a grumbling kind of dull knock when rocking stearing wheel back and forth when stopped.  10,000km up now.  I guess I ought to have it looked at before the 15,000km service, which won't be due for a few more months, to have it formally diagnosed.  Mine is a 09/09 manufactured date according to the decal on the B pillar.

Disappointing but at least it is (assumed to be) a known problem that can be rectified.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I can hear my steering wheel also. I'll wait till my 40,000 km service and mention it there. It's hardly noticeable.

Our Santa Fe had was also making some strange noise, especially after long driving - the problem was bad bearing in the wheel.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal