i30 Owners Club

Green vehicle rating

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Aopologies if this topic has been discussed elsewhere, I did a search but couldn't find anything on the forum.

On the government's green vehicle site the i30 only scores 3.5 stars, mainly because for Air Polution it gets just 5/10. This is the same whether it's the petrol or diesel.

Other vehicles in the i30's class do better. Toyota Corolla 4.5 stars (manual), 8.5/10 for AP, Honda Civic 4.5 stars (manual or auto) 8.5/10.

Taking the case of the Toyota petrol manual vs the i30 petrol manual, the Toyota is marginally thirstier (7.3 l/100k vs 7.2 for the Hyundai) but there is a huge difference in Air Polution figures. Surely this can't just be because the i30 is 2.0 ltr and the Corolla is 1.8?

One of the reasons I purchased a diesel i30 is because of its environmental impact. It got a green car of the year award in 2007 and Hyundai have planned an end-of-life recycling strategy for the vehicle. I don't understand why it performs so badly in the guide.

And just in case this appears to be a rant from someone who has nothing better to do than to check numbers (it is partly that of course  :) ) where diesel passenger vehicles are more accepted.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
The air polution score is simply based on the emissions standard that a vehicle meets - Euro 3 (current Australian standard) = 5 points, Euro 4 = 6.5 points, exceeds Euro 4 = 8.5 points.

Regarding the stamp duty waiver - if it is based just on CO2 emissions then the i30 diesel would be right up the top of the list.

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi davet

The i30 brochure claims the vehicle uses Euro IV emissions technology which should mean it scores 6.5/10 for the petrol according to the Stage 2 Air Pollution Ratings and not 5/10.

I guess this means the Corolla and Civic already exceed Euro IV.

The waiver will be based on the Green Vehicle star rating which means the i30 will not compare quite so well against the Toyota and the Honda .
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal