Acceleration issues take 2

Zhangster · 57 · 18679

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Zhangster

On Hy Denmark's site it shows 2 models for the i30 comfort - 90 hk and 115 hk
and an i30 classic at 90 hk.
Check your sales invoice for model bought and if wrong get back to dealers and request the correct car.

Just remind me, apologies if you have mentioned model before, which model did you buy?

http://www.hyundai.dk/default.asp?pageid=12&nodeid={FB5A8E4F-1A42-4B4C-9499-919571334A89}&mode=specs

hi m8

my i30 should be a : hyundai i30 classic with 115 hp

dunno if u read all in the first thread i made... but my local dealership did call HY denmark to verify if my car was a 90 or 115hp engine and they said it was a 115hp even it have this vacuum thingy controlling the air intake....

yes i was puzzled... and still am... i wonder if there is a way finding out it on my own...?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I'll go take a pic of mine...

Zhenster.. I don't think you have a 90 hp i30. If sometimes it goes well and than later not, it can't be that..? What if you try to measure how long (in seconds) it takes you from 110-140 kph (in fifth gear) when you think your car doesn't go well? And then, some of us will try to do the same.. Maybe your car is going ok, but it just doesn't seem enough? I don't know.. :neutral: 110-140 vs 140-160 hm.. 110-130 or 140 will probably go slower, because you start at lower rpm?

Shambles.. Thanks for the pics.. I just don't understand one thing.. What am I suppose to look at the pic?  :-[ As far as I can see it, I have absolutely identical look of the engine (and those parts that I think I should be looking at) and mine is 90 HP - well not anymore but still.. Thanks

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi again...

just looked in my registration papers... lots of useless infomations.. but i also found this... it says :

max effect of the car is: 85KW   which mean its a 115hp car.

anyway im gonna contact hyundai import in denmark tomorrow and let em take a look at it.

Though the dealership did call HY denmark for verification i wanna hear it from em first handed.

cheers Dan

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
heres what u should be looking at..  marked with a red circle

[deleted]

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Shambles.. Thanks for the pics.. I just don't understand one thing.. What am I suppose to look at the pic?  

See Zhangsters post, below yours and directly above this one :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Well..I think I have the same in my i30 90 hp engine as you in your 115 hp. I have to check it in the morning once more. So that would mean, they've made i30's 115 and 90 hp with both versions? Thanks

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
I'll go take a pic of mine...

Zhenster.. I don't think you have a 90 hp i30. If sometimes it goes well and than later not, it can't be that..? What if you try to measure how long (in seconds) it takes you from 110-140 kph (in fifth gear) when you think your car doesn't go well? And then, some of us will try to do the same.. Maybe your car is going ok, but it just doesn't seem enough? I don't know.. :neutral: 110-140 vs 140-160 hm.. 110-130 or 140 will probably go slower, because you start at lower rpm?

Shambles.. Thanks for the pics.. I just don't understand one thing.. What am I suppose to look at the pic?  :-[ As far as I can see it, I have absolutely identical look of the engine (and those parts that I think I should be looking at) and mine is 90 HP - well not anymore but still.. Thanks

hi m8
i see ur point in take some time readings and compare em. but what u suggest about that it could be the low revs does not make any sense to me becuz of:
Diesel engines power dynamic is lots of torgue at low rev and get less powerful at greater revs (Reason for that is short version: turbo cant deliver anymore boost pass certain revs and it flat out in the torgue curve.  where petrol just keep goin since it dont have turbo.  also the reason why turbo lag accur in really low revs.. its simple need the exhaust to drive the turbo before it can deliver any boost..)
petrol cars is the other hand less powerful at low revs... and better at high rev.  also one of the reason why petrol cars mostly r doin better top speeds than a diesel can... 

back in the days when diesel started to be used it was used as heavy load low rev engines such as power generators and these days trucks and much more.

atm i feel like my car atleast in high speed preform as petrol car... yet it dont have better topspeed :) mine seems to really pull from 2900 and up.

i hope this made any sense to u... :D

dan

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

Yes my bad. I thought that at 100 kph the car had less than 2,000 rpm. Don't know why..that's why I wrote it has too low rpm and goes better later..

I've filmed acceleration of my i30 today from 100kph ++ (in fifth gear)

Originally it's 90 hp but now it has approx 115 hp. So it should go about the same as stock 115hp i30.

Good night

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hello,

Yes my bad. I thought that at 100 kph the car had less than 2,000 rpm. Don't know why..that's why I wrote it has too low rpm and goes better later..

I've filmed acceleration of my i30 today from 100kph ++ (in fifth gear)

Originally it's 90 hp but now it has approx 115 hp. So it should go about the same as stock 115hp i30.

Good night

hi m8

this is how it preform when i dont have any problem with it...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3227.0.html

cheers dan

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi guys

just shot some movies clips me flooring it from the speeds im experiance the issues :

two movies same day and no restart of the engine...

at both clips im flooring it in 5th gear and the road is pretty straigth and no hils or it is unnormal windy..

what do u guys think?

cheers dan

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hm.. I'm looking at my clip and yours and they seem kind of the same? When I compare 120-190 kph they are both around 34 seconds? The only difference I see is when you accelerate from 110 kph to a bit less than 160 kph. It takes you around 20 seconds and when I look at my clip it looks like it takes me around 17 sec? But I think it's about the same..? Don't know..

Which tires you have? I mean dimensions..?

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hm.. I'm looking at my clip and yours and they seem kind of the same? When I compare 120-190 kph they are both around 34 seconds? The only difference I see is when you accelerate from 110 kph to a bit less than 160 kph. It takes you around 20 seconds and when I look at my clip it looks like it takes me around 17 sec? But I think it's about the same..? Don't know..

Which tires you have? I mean dimensions..?

look at the second clip... its almost movin backwards lol...    i got 255/55 R16

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Same as mine which is 115 ps.

I believe UK diesels are now 90 ps so the road tax is £35.00 per year.

According to the technical specs the UK 1.6CRDi models are now all 85Kw/113Bhp engines, thats certianly what I have ordered  :wink: 

Although I think this is actually a typo and its really 85Kw/113ps which is the same as 115bhp.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that the main change to get it into the £35 tax bracket was to raise the ratio of 3rd gear. 

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Have you "fixed" the problem?

I've also noticed (maybe I'm just imagining but ok..) that after driving some 100, 150 km's (km's not kph) on the highway, the car goes better.. Like I said..I'm PROBABLY imagining, but I really feel that it does..it feels like it's more responsive (when you push the pedal it "reacts" quicker) and accelerates better.. Especially if you drive it with 3,000 or more rpm.. Especially after longer "city rides". Maybe the ECU gets used to "faster" driving or something..

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
Lorian. Yes the UK spec. 1.6 diesels are all 115ps (113 BHP) and the £35 Road Tax qualification is due to a slight rise in third gear.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Jees I only just noticed the typo in the title

"Accerelation issues take 2"

That won't help those using the search feature :lol:

*amended*

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Lorian. Yes the UK spec. 1.6 diesels are all 115ps (113 BHP) and the £35 Road Tax qualification is due to a slight rise in third gear.

Except of course for new car production its recently changed to a new engine, and a six speed gearbox without the hump in 3rd gear. Lot has changed in a month!

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Apologies for dragging up such an old thread, but I feel my observations & questions are relevant.

My CRDi now has 1000 km on the clock, and my observations of the throttle response have me somewhat perplexed.

In short, quickly flooring the throttle gives nowhere near as much torque throughout the rev range as feeding the throttle in, much as you are required to do on a normally aspirated car with large butterfly valve carbies.  (think Weber or Dellorto)

If you're hovering at about 2.2 krpm in second, well within the boost range, and feed in the throttle up to a bit over half throttle, you can ride the crest of the wave, and the engine will zip around to redline with really surprising enthusiasm.  Whacking the throttle fully open at the same revs gives less enthusiastic acceleration to a bit over 3 krpm, and it tapers off savagely with a sluggish pull to redline.  I have found this to be repeatable with a thoroughly warm engine.

My expectations of modern engine management would be more along the lines of full throttle, however quickly applied, giving you all the engine can at whatever revs it's at up to the point where the traction control kicks in.  With my CRDi, that is definitely not the case.

To the CRDi owners out there both stock, chipped, or otherwise modified, could you specifically try my above scenario and report your results?

For the time being, I'll make do with less throttle equals more go!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I gave my 2011 model 1.6 CRDi a test this morning - in each case accelerating in 3rd gear from 40 mph as a dummy overtake manouvre and confirm that I get a similar result.

Flooring the accelerator results in a noticeable  pause before the engine really kicks in whereas giving it half throttle and then steadily but quickly feeding more throttle as the engine takes off seems to produce a faster acceleration. I rarely floor the accelerator anyway - so it is not an issue with me.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wonder if the swirl motor needs more time to react than the fuel rail. Might look for more info on this "problem"

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Possibly more likely to do with the control of the variable vanes in the turbo affecting spool up time.

I can't say I've noticed this phenomena, but I haven't specifically tested for it.

I've not had my i30 near the red line very much, you are way out of the sweet spot for power delivery there, and in any urgent situation like overtaking it's always time to change up before you get there.

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@ AlanHo:  Thanks for your feedback!!  I feel greatly reassured that I'm not completely mad...   :D

@ Lorian: I know (still exploring) and love the torque characteristics of the car, and am not planning terribly regular trips to redline territory, but in exploring this throttle response curiosity, have had several rushes to redline that I think would surprise many CRDi owners, not to mention the petrol crowd.  It surely as anything surprised me, and I'm not that easily surprised...

@ Shambles: The best guess I have at the moment, assuming this behaviour is by design, is that it's a "feature" to perhaps give inexperienced drivers less chance of crashing what is not supposed to be a sports car.  I know some teenagers, for example, that think the throttle has only two positions, on, and off.  It could also be a fuel economy "feature".  But at the moment I have only questions, and no concrete answers.

My car is still stock, but this issue has me wondering how the hell would you do a consistent dyno run, when the maximum result seems to involve feeding in the throttle?

Loving the car though.  There are not enough "BigGrins" to describe it.   :D :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Loving the car though.  There are not enough "BigGrins" to describe it.   :D :D

Well said Beekster.. Not sure if you are old enough to remember the Nissan Patrol add with the huge grins but I used to think of that add when I drove my CRDi on winding roads  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cyberdolt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Harden
Ah,Ha! At last someone with the same problem as my 1.6. The problem is erratic and is promoted via ambient temps above 26c. At 35c it becomes a real pest. You may find that when the car is in its lazy mode, lifting the pedal about 25% will produce a certain surge in power. It should not behave as such. I have a few theories but have yet to test them. The dealer knows of the problem but has no cure. I have fitted a boost gauge so I can make more sense of this problem.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Do you have problems in losing power whilst accelerating - is you miles per gallon dropping?  I had a problem with losing power in my car, with principally the fuel efficiency dropping, but not all the time.  I also had problems with the ESP turning itself off.  The dealer originally attributed the ESP turning off with the final diagnosis of an uneven wear on the drive plate.  This resulted in a replacement clutch and drive plate.  You could try that?  The symptoms I had were not quite like yours, but started with the engine reducing in performance and reduced miles per gallon, any finally loss of power due to the drive plate slipping.  Worth a question.  I'm not the only one who has had the problem of uneven wear on the drive plate, so it should be in the Hyundai Technical log of problems, if the dealer is capable of finding it.

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Do you have problems in losing power whilst accelerating - is you miles per gallon dropping?  I had a problem with losing power in my car, with principally the fuel efficiency dropping, but not all the time.  I also had problems with the ESP turning itself off.  The dealer originally attributed the ESP turning off with the final diagnosis of an uneven wear on the drive plate.  This resulted in a replacement clutch and drive plate.  You could try that?  The symptoms I had were not quite like yours, but started with the engine reducing in performance and reduced miles per gallon, any finally loss of power due to the drive plate slipping.  Worth a question.  I'm not the only one who has had the problem of uneven wear on the drive plate, so it should be in the Hyundai Technical log of problems, if the dealer is capable of finding it.
No loss of power while accelerating, by my expectations anyway.  The torque the engine produces, let's say while floored, does drop off from about 3.5k rpm towards redline.  But in my case drops off less when less than full throttle is initially applied, and the application of the throttle is still increasing.

My i30 is close to brand new (almost 1500 km).  No possibility of drive plate issues.  Not ESP related.  This "issue" is pure engine management related, and my best guess is the switching between the mode with single injector bursts, and the "multibursts" used in common rail diesels to make them smoother and quieter.

With regard to your steering issue in another thread, a left field idea to have them check is that your acceleration meter is securely mounted to the car, and orientated correctly.  Let alone checked for correct operation and connection to the ECU.

You sure do seem to have gotten a lemon, compared to how impressed I am with my i30.  Good luck!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Looking at the dyno graph for the (unrestricted) U2 CRDi the torque starts to drop off a little before that. Full torque is supposed to be on stream between 1900rpm and 2750rpm. It will vary a little for the original U series.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal