i30 Owners Club

Automatic gear box making droning sound

Free87 · 7 · 3124

Offline Free87

• 1st Gear
I drive a 2009 i30 crdi auto and have noticed that under certain conditions the gearbox will make an unusual vibration/droning noise.

Ive only noticed it when going uphill (usually the gradient is mild) and when in 3rd gear. If the gearbox decides to just use the torque of the engine rather than kicking down, a droning noise becomes noticeable from about 1500rpm up to 2700rpm.

Anyone else had a similar experience with their Auto gearbox?

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Me too - good description as "droning". 
My 2011 spec CRDi auto sometimes has a slight resonance like described (when labouring a bit in 3rd), not very noticable and I have not worried about it (yet).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
No idea if this is the related noise or not, but there is one TSB for the auto gearbox relating to noise, with regard to a pad being added to the cable mass damper:

http://ceedonline.info/docs/tsb/i30/HFE08-52-P170-HDFD.zip

Like I said, might be unrelated, but might be worth a try.

Please note this TSB is not hosted by i30oc and it's reproduction may be prohibited where copyright laws protect it.

lindlake
I drive a 2009 i30 crdi auto and have noticed that under certain conditions the gearbox will make an unusual vibration/droning noise.

Ive only noticed it when going uphill (usually the gradient is mild) and when in 3rd gear. If the gearbox decides to just use the torque of the engine rather than kicking down, a droning noise becomes noticeable from about 1500rpm up to 2700rpm.

Anyone else had a similar experience with their Auto gearbox?
same here to me it is coming from the exaust

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my wife's 5/09 built cw had the exhaust changed under warranty because it was making a noise like is described in this thread,we also thought it was the auto trans making the noise. the dealer put the car on a hoist with it running in gear,the mechanic stood under the raised car and could hear the heat shield on the front half of the exhaust buzzing at idle. the noise was worse as you drove along the road. it was changed and the noise stopped.  :razz: could be the same fault.  :idea:  i know your cars are crdi motors but the exhaust will still have heat shield on it. IMHO.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Free87

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the helpful advice and thoughts!
Love this forum :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal