i30 Owners Club

Peugeot 508 Diesel ESP/ASR Engine Failure

Offline batman_619

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      warwickshire
Hi all,

I own a Peugeot 508 2011 model, it has done around 111k miles. While I was driving on the motorway the car was running fine (I was doing 50 mph because they were doing some road services), as soon the speed limits changed, I accelerated my car from 50 mph to 60mph, it was not an aggressive acceleration just gradual. As soon the car reaches 60mph I get a feeling that "something" has blocked my engine, and the car started to  slow down, as I pressed the accelerator, the car did not accelerate.  I also got the ESP/AST Engine Failure Error on the dashboard.

I had to immediately stop on the hard shoulder.  Where I switched off the engine for around 10 minutes and switched my car back on. the ESP/ASR engine failure error disappeared and the car could accelerate and I could change gears up to 4th. (I did not try to go above 50mph and change my gear to 5th because I thought the problem could arise again) so I finished my journey driving for another 15 minutes at around 35-40 mph. The car during this time did not show any errors and was running as normal.

I also would like to mention that in the past when driving on the motorway and doing above 55-60 mph sometimes I used to get "risk of particle filter clogging" error. I always ignored that error because it only used to stay for 2 seconds and used to come very rarely and only when doing above 55-60mph.

After doing some research on why I got this ESP/ASR error I found out about DFS in diesel cars and how they are used to filter emissions. Someone also mentioned that diesel cars are not ideal for short journeys, And ever since I bought this car the only thing I did is  short-journeys (20 miles max) around my city. (but I always take my car to the motorway and drive around 60mph for 10 minutes). Also whenever I refill my tank, I never fill it to max, just quarter or half. I have been doing this for the last 2 years.  - Sorry but I have never been a car expert.

Do you guys think that the way I have been using my car had eventually caused this error? And I would also like to get a little  more technical knowledge on why this problem occurred and how to prevent it in the future.
  • Peugeot 508 Diesel

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
https://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/forums.html
Might be a little more help as it's a specific Peugeot Forum
Hope you find what you need
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal