i30 Owners Club

PD Wipers

ryangus · 10 · 5496

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Anyone able to recommend the best wipers for a PD hatch, including brand, model and supplier??
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can't recommend a brand but for at least 15 years I've been using silicon rubbers on our family cars.
Started when I couldn't stop the squeaking on my Subaru.
They last well, wipe cleanly and don't make a noise on a nearly dry screen.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Can't recommend a brand but for at least 15 years I've been using silicon rubbers on our family cars.

Hi Surferdude,

Your post made me think and revisit wipertech.com.au for an article I had stumbled across earlier this year about rubber vs silicone wiper blades. (I googled "wipertech rubber vs silicone wiper blades"). 

Because of problems I am having in copying and pasting text into posts I have attached a screenshot which summarises their 'opinion'.   

I am in no way contesting your experience with silicone (and to be frank, I have no idea what I've got on my car and I have no opinion as to what is 'better') but such contrasting 'recommendations' is possibly down to the brand and/or quality of the silicone blades you use?

When I had my WRX/STi I sometimes had the same 'squeaking' as you but I'd just let my mate's workshop replace the blades (probably rubber with rubber) 'cos I was lazy and the price was good.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My Tridon FlexBlade wipers have been on the car for about 5 years now and they're still going well :link: Supercheap Auto Australia

They're not the cheapest but they do last well.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Having used Tridon Flexblades and Bosch Aerotwin over the last few years I would recommend the Tridon. The bosch gave an initial better wipe but I have experienced better sustained performance over the life of the blade from the Tridon. Having sold thousands of wiper blades, I would not recommend the silicon as being a superior product over natural rubber. Many unhappy customers have been made happy again with a decent rubber option. Not disputing your positive experience Surferdude, I'm sure many people were happy with theirs. Just so many unhappy customers coming back for tridons after taking the silicon option first.

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
I replaced donkey's blades with wipertech a couple of years ago and was so impressed that i then changed the wife's and parents cars to wipertech also.
They replace the entire arms, not just the rubber/silicone.
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Guys, thanks for the feedback which may help ryangus (OP) with his decison.

Yesterday I spoke to Michael, tech guy at Tridon's, about (a) rubber vs silicone blades and (b) FlexBlades, which is what CraigB and Josh1990 use.

He generally agreed with what wipertech said about silicone blades (see my post above).  I forgot to ask but I suspect Tridon don't make silicone blades?

FlexBlades are a 2-part rubber blade. The lower part touching the windscreen is made of natural rubber impregnated with graphite.  (The graphite helps the blade lip better slide across the glass).  The upper part is made of synthetic rubber.

Micheal said the FlexBlades on his car are still going well after 2.5 years.  Tridon recommend [any?] wiper blade replacement after a year...of course!

His TIP for FlexBlade users.  Do NOT clean the wiper blade lip with a rag as it eventually degrades the graphite component.  Just hose off the blade. I even asked if it would be okay to clean them with a soft, clean rag dipped in windscreen cleaner solution...my go-to method for whatever's on my car.  Nope, better to just hose off FlexBlades!

FlexBlades are one of Tridon's premium range and aren't cheap.  I later checked and my i30's driver side 26" blade (Tridon TFB26H) costs about $45.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
There's also the curve blades if the the flex blades are too spendy. I can't recall if they're 100% the same as the flex blade rubber but they're definitely imbibed with graphite - they are slightly cheaper but refillable,  which most people prefer. Great job on research Terry

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Hi Surferdude,

Your post made me think and revisit wipertech.com.au for an article I had stumbled across earlier this year about rubber vs silicone wiper blades. (I googled "wipertech rubber vs silicone wiper blades"). 

Because of problems I am having in copying and pasting text into posts I have attached a screenshot which summarises their 'opinion'.   

I am in no way contesting your experience with silicone (and to be frank, I have no idea what I've got on my car and I have no opinion as to what is 'better') but such contrasting 'recommendations' is possibly down to the brand and/or quality of the silicone blades you use?

When I had my WRX/STi I sometimes had the same 'squeaking' as you but I'd just let my mate's workshop replace the blades (probably rubber with rubber) 'cos I was lazy and the price was good.

Interesting isn't it?
They're saying exactly the opposite to what my experience is.
Silicone blades have given me better wiping, longer life and no squeaking.
Across 2 Subarus, 4 Corollas, an i30 and an Accent. (Immediate family cars since about 2005/6.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Interesting isn't it?
They're saying exactly the opposite to what my experience is.
Silicone blades have given me better wiping, longer life and no squeaking.

Across 2 Subarus, 4 Corollas, an i30 and an Accent. (Immediate family cars since about 2005/6.

Mate, it can cause an aged Virgo to go into analysis paralysis when I have to buy next time.  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal