i30 Owners Club

Tailgate Release Button Rubber protector detioration and failure

Offline SankarAu

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi,
Here's a tip for those who face the issue of the rubber of the Liftgate/Trunk/Hatch Release/Opening Switch deteriorating or crumbling. Don't leave it for too long or the internal switch mechanism will fall out and the following fix will be moot. I was lucky, that happened to me but I was able to find it on my garage floor!

I cut out a piece of bicycle inner tube (you can use any thin and flexible rubber) and glued it into place. It's out of sight so I didn't worry too much about how it looked. Anyone could do a prettier job.  :)

I reckon I saved a few quid.

Good luck.

Cheers,
S

• 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's my solution for my brother's Kia, compatible with the Hyundai:

:link: STL file Kia Rio Boot Release Switch Repair 👢・Design to download and 3D print・Cults
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I just replaced the switch on my car, and also on a similar car we just bought for my partner. About £11 for a 3rd party equivalent. It's quite easy to prise out the old switch at one side, then snip or break off the retaining tab. Push it back in, then lever it out on the other side, it's then easier to pull out the other side where the tab has been removed.

• i30 CRD

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Brendan, is that a complete switch (so you have to swap the wiring) or just a rubber/plastic cover for the actual switch?
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
That's for a complete switch, the rubber boot is integral to it. Just prise the old one out, unplug the connector, plug it into the new switch and snap it into position. The OEM part number is 81260-A5000, and is for the GD hatchback. I could have paid £40+ for a genuine Hyundai/Kia part, but they're not exactly proving to be very durable. I'm surprised at the number of second-hand ones being offered on eBay where the rubber boot is falling apart.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal