i30 Owners Club

Trying to fix window washer leak

Offline LaurieC

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Our 2014 i30 petrol Trophy hatchback has developed a leak in the window washing system so that a short time after I have refilled it most of the liquid has dripped onto the garage floor. When it is full the front and rear washers work, although the spray patterns are not as good as they once were.
Encouraged by this post :link: Removing Windscreen Washer Bottle/Reservoir (FD)

I decided to try to look at the tank to see if I could see where the problem is. I ran the car up on some homemade ramps so I could look under and found a panel that could be pushed out of the way when I removed two expanding grommets, to reveal the tank. I could see that the white area above the blue connector in the photos was wet – where my fingers are in one of the photos. Feeling above there I found there is a black component with a square section that I took to be the pump. It had two smooth black pipes coming out that I think must be the feeds to the rear and from washers. There were also some electrical connections.

I can see that higher up there are lugs connecting the tank to the car, but I though before proceeding I would ask for help here.

Can anybody who has had a similar problem provide any advice?

• i30 Trophy Auto 5dr hatch

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No direct experience with the i30 but I've done similar work on older cars.
You appear to have identified the leak with only some further clarification on which component is failing.
I suspect the leak is either a failed seal or leaky (cracked) bottle or motor (pump).
As with plumbing, dry the system of any moisture and work it again to start a new leak.
If it's too difficult to do so while fitted, then go ahead and remove it from its mounting location. Ideally, you can run it fully connected while getting access to all sides of it for good visibility.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline LaurieC

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Haven't really made any further progress, but did check again just in case the two pipes from the pump were not secured, or had a split in them. That doesn't appear to be the case, and it seems the leak is in the pump or above. I have concluded it is pretty low down though, as all the fluid leaks out if it is left long enough. I am reluctant to remove the whole system, might be beyond me, so I might have to put it in the hands of the dealer.
  • i30 Trophy Auto 5dr hatch

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm sure access and replacement of the bottle and or pump are detailed on this site.

If you use the search function you will come across the postings.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal