i30 Owners Club

Labouring/lack of power

h20melon · 80 · 29154

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Apparently they work a system of "negative hours", meaning a Technician is allocated, for example, 44 hours work to be carried out in 39 hours, something has to give, ie. the customer.

Should be renamed "FOB OFF" the customer time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Rusty, in this case it is obviously very inconvenient to make the car available for inspection / repair, due to work commitments. Customer service requires a degree of empathy toward the customer and a plan to resolve customer problems in a realistic time frame. Sure, dealers have other customers and I accept that it is a difficult process to keep everyone happy. Regardless of this, any behaviour that reflects badly on the brand, is a breakdown in customer service.

You may recall recently, I brought 1 of our cars in for rough starting. Glow plugs were replaced, but to no avail. Eventually, the car was there for a week unexpectedly, to have all injectors tested and replaced, somehow, they fitted the car in and managed to give a loan car for that period. That's what I call customer service.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I can remember Dazz recommending that an odometer reading was taken, and chalk marks placed on the tyres - to see if the vehicle had actually been moved :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I can remember Dazz recommending that an odometer reading was taken, and chalk marks placed on the tyres - to see if the vehicle had actually been moved :lol:

:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Would "Injector Cleaner" be worth a try?
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There have been comments, that injector cleaner applied at too high a frequency, can cause premature high pressure fuel pump wear due to lack of lubrication. :Dunno:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Yes I have put in injector cleaner in twice so far at 10,000km intervals. Didn't make any difference.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Car went in on Friday, only to find out they didn't have any record of the appointment I booked and had their confirmation letter with me (but they did have an appointment for Monday which i didn't book) Lucky for them they looked at my car or I would have blown up.

I drove it win the mechanic in the car before leaving.  Had a call to pick up car and on picking it up, the suspect the turbo charger, but are not 100% sure, but are going to replace it anyway.  They said they have only done 2 turbos before, and are going to contact me once they ring head office.

After the last booking where they only had the car for an hour, I received a standard "hope our service was up to your standards" email, and I sent back a lengthy email that basically there was no service as they didn't do anything, and that nothing was said to me that they would have the car for only 1 hour - he replied to say that 1 hour is standard for first appointment.  If their 1 hour was standard for first bookings when they are fault finding, then that should have been communicated to the customer.

Also, his reply about the loan cars is for "loyal" customers who get their car serviced with them, and as I haven't done that, then I can get a loan car for $100 per day.

Anyway, we'll see what happens next.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Also, his reply about the loan cars is for "loyal" customers who get their car serviced with them, and as I haven't done that, then I can get a loan car for $100 per day.

Crap, how do they expect to get "loyal" customers with a policy like that.

My friend needed a repair last week on his car. No loan car available, so the service manager GAVE him his car, while the other was repaired. It was only about 1.5 hours, but it's the goodwill and flexibility that the customer remembers.

If I were you, I'd be telling them that you expect better.  :fum:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Crap, how do they expect to get "loyal" customers with a policy like that.

My friend needed a repair last week on his car. No loan car available, so the service manager GAVE him his car, while the other was repaired. It was only about 1.5 hours, but it's the goodwill and flexibility that the customer remembers.

If I were you, I'd be telling them that you expect better.  :fum:
first dealer we bought from Had NO courtesy cars to lend out,only had a courtesy mini bus,which will drop you to a destination and then later in the day come and pick you up(if you remind them)second dealer we bought from they have the same policy if you don't use them on a regualr basis you don't get a courtesy car,but like the first they will drop you off and pick you up.so not a one of thing Phil
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Gee, we must be "loyal" customers, had a new Ford for over a week once.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
No hire car and no bus...

Anyway, just received a call from them, and they want the car for a few days next week to do more investigation.  Also they want receipts from my servicing as I went elsewhere to get both the 15,000 and 30,000km services done.  Which means copying the receipts from when I bought oil and filters too....

Surely a stamp in the logbook should be sufficient, or is this just more proof that it was done?

3 days without the car - luckily I have a backup car.

They reckon that they want to do this as they still suspect the turbo, but as they've only replaced 2 (one under warranty and the other not due to lack of correct servicing/oil used or something along these lines) they need more testing.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm smelling a dispute developing here. To justify a repair of turbo, I guess Hy require proof that the turbo has been lubricated and the car serviced correctly. Although you pay a premium at service time, they don't query any of this if you use their workshop. However, for a scheduled multi day requirement, they should be providing a vehicle IMO, it's called customer service. Is there another Hy dealer you could approach that can lend you a car :question:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
The two HY dealers in Wollongong are both the same brand (City Motors) and operate the same.

I would either have to drive up to 40-60 mins either north or south to the next one.

I guess because I have saved around $600 in total on servicing, I can give them some leeway for not getting serviced there.

Problem with going elsewhere, I would then have to go through the same process of explaining the fault and for them to investigate.

They still quote the same "if the problem is not warranty related, then we will charge for time spent..." Phrase.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

They still quote the same "if the problem is not warranty related, then we will charge for time spent..." Phrase.

I actually think it's a fair call from the dealer to let you know about this before you leave your car with them.

After all, they are correct to charge you if it's not warranty, and they do have a business to run, they can't survive if they have to work without payment for everybody. Don't believe they make big $$ on warranty work anyway.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Ok, so Hyundai wanted my car for a few days this week to do some more investigating, so it's been with them since Tuesday morning.

Had a call from them today saying that the mechanic has spent 2.5 hours on the car and driving it, and now suspects the problem is coming from the clutch area.

Also was told that they cannot continue until I accept that if the problem is the clutch plate which only has 12 months warranty on it and is out of warranty, then I will pay $2,400 for the replacement of the clutch plate. But if its something else in that area then it's covered by warranty.  This price is their normal charge of replacing the clutch.  I said that if they are definite that it is the clutch then I would be going somewhere else that doesn't charge the ridiculous prices.

I said that there should be no reason that the clutch plate has worn out as I'm a careful driver and that it should last at least 100,000 Kms.

It's frustrating that they cannot pinpoint the problem and it doesn't sound like the mechanics talk to anyone outside that centre.  Surely there are 1000s of HY mechanics and this problem has come up somewhere in Australia or the world.

I suggested that I won't get them to investigate and continue driving until something breaks, but they said that I cannot do that as that is then neglect.

I guess it's a risk of the slight chance that it is the clutch, and if they want to replace it, I will be demanding the original clutch to have it checked by an independent and see if there is a problem or needed replacing.  If it didn't then I will be contacting the MTA or someone to get compensation.

Also when picking up the car, I will be demanding to take it for a drive before paying anything to make sure the problem has gone.

My thinking is that it as it happens only at a certain rev range in different gears, then it has to be either the engine or anywhere up to the main drive shaft in the gear box as anything else after that is running at different speeds when the problem happens in each gear.

I don't know.. So much for warranty when all I'm getting is threats of high amounts of money.  Once this problem is fixed, I'd rather drive to Perth than go back to Wollongong City Motors.

Oh and they said that after pulling the gear box out and if they find everything ok, and continue looking, if in the end the problem is not warranty (their example is a bent drive shaft, which I said should be visible without all that work first) then I'm up for all their time leading up to them finding the cause, which is ridiculous.  Why should I have to pay for an incompetent mechanic...
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very disappointed with that feedback from your dealer. No way a clutch replacement should cost that much. I'd be seeking an opinion and quote for the same work from a licensed mechanic. :fum:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
:link:

Plus labour.

How much would that be?   2 hours,?.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Plus labour.

I would like to see the guy who can dismantle the gearbox, replace the clutch, and fit the gearbox again in 2 hours.  :sweating:

i think 3-4 hours is needed.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Plus labour.

I would like to see the guy who can dismantle the gearbox, replace the clutch, and fit the gearbox again in 2 hours.  :sweating:

Don't you just split the box from the engine.
Remove old plate, put in new and join both back.

No need to dismantle gearbox.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
All cars I know off needs the gearbox removed from the car before you can enter the clutch.

Only exception is some old Opel's I've heard of which had a plate to be removed, then you could change the clutch.

There isn't room enough to get the gearbox far enough away from the engine.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
The whole problem is they "think" the vibration is coming from that area, and don't know if it is the clutch until they dismantle.  If it is the clutch plate, I can't just say, "ok, put it back together and I will go else where" as they will charge for all labour anyway, which they said is about 5 hours work to replace clutch.

But yeah, still a lot of money, but they did quote me $132 per hour if it's not warranty though.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Plus labour.

Don't you just split the box from the engine.
Remove old plate, put in new and join both back.

No need to dismantle gearbox.
I think there might be a slight language problem here. I suspect asterix is using the word "dismantle" when he means disconnect and remove from the engine.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Good point with terminology.  I used distantle instead of disconnect.

Had a call from HY and they said that they have disconnected to find oil in the clutch area.  A seal isn't sealing from the gearbox.

So they said that they have ordered parts and will replaced the clutch under warranty as it is damaged from the oil.

Just waiting for a call back to confirm things.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good news! Hope things go smoothly with the repair....  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good result. so far !

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Had a call from HY and they said that they have disconnected to find oil in the clutch area.  A seal isn't sealing from the gearbox.

Now why did the garage put you though all that - if its this then this etc $2400 please. 

Result!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Now why did the garage put you though all that - if its this then this etc $2400 please. 
Result!

They have become Worldwide Professional Experts at Anxiety Pangs  :(

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good point with terminology.  I used distantle instead of disconnect.

So they said that they have ordered parts and will replaced the clutch under warranty as it is damaged from the oil.

Just waiting for a call back to confirm things.

Now that's good news... :goodjob2:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal