i30 Owners Club

Oil in inlet manifold

Bob H · 8 · 2687

Offline Bob H

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Boonah, QLD
I've just had a 60,000km service and all is well. The mechanic showed me that the crankcase breather is depositing some oil in the inlet manifold which will carbonise and restrict airflow and so economy/power. He said this is normal in all diesels of this type and advised me to fit an oil separator (around $200) and drill a hole in the sump to drain back the oil. He has done this to his Land Cruiser and said it gives extra power etc. The other option is to use a spray release in the manifold occasionally. I have known him for 20 years and he is a straight shooter. Does anyone have actual knowledge (no guesses or rambles please) of this. (It did actually have more power and flexibility after this service, which I did not expect.
Cheers
Bob H
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
(no guesses or rambles please) of this.

Well, that counts me out.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Bob H
... advised me to fit an oil separator (around $200) and drill a hole in the sump to drain back the oil ...
First I've ever heard of this being recommended. Is your i30 still under manufacturers warranty?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Bob H

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Boonah, QLD
Yes, still under warranty so I would not do any modifications without getting the dealers approval. There was certainly an oil film inside the manifold and it does blow a little blue smoke on start up sometimes. That said it does not seem to use any oil and otherwise runs like new.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My motto is "It aint broke - so don't fix it".

I haven't heard of such a problem with an i30 and sincerely doubt that the proposed mod would fix it. In fact, drilling a hole for a connection to the sump would provide another access for oil to be blown into the manifold.  I also cannot see how it would give an increase in power.  With a diesel the power is a function of the amount of diesel injected and there is no throttle like in a petrol car to vary the air flow.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid: :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Under no circumstances, would I provide any direct path for oil to enter the engine, that's just asking for a runaway Diesel IMO. Forget the idea.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal