i30 Owners Club

2012 CRDI Auto shift points

Guest · 13 · 4939

johns78c
G'day all

Is there anyone out there who has modified the shift points on their auto?

This is the only thing I have been unhappy with since I bought the car.

It's like the transmission has been calibrated for a petrol engine - it is forever kicking down and revving way too high.  Stomping on it from a standstill sees it shifting almost on the redline - which is a waste of time on the diesel.

Once I get to freeway speeds I lock the car into 6th gear as it easily holds 110km/h up even the biggest hills.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John,

I haven't driven an Auto Diesel (only the Petrol Auto) but the word is that it is supposed to learn your driving style and adjust accordingly..But from what you say it hasn't worked for you.  :undecided:

Mind you that was the 4 speed Auto .. I would have imagined the 6 speed would have been better.  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As per what Dazz said, I'm unable to answer that but I'm surprised it's a problem with the 6 speed auto.
Perhaps some owners of the 6 speed can respond?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There aren't any, Dazz talks them into buying manuals.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There aren't any, Dazz talks them into buying manuals.  :(

:rofl:

You only get the 6 speed auto in the Premium so i30Prem and others drive GD Autos  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I knew there would be some but I just couldn't resist.  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I knew there would be some but I just couldn't resist.  :rofl:

:lol: :goodjob:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
G'day all

It's like the transmission has been calibrated for a petrol engine - it is forever kicking down and revving way too high.  Stomping on it from a standstill sees it shifting almost on the redline - which is a waste of time on the diesel.

Once I get to freeway speeds I lock the car into 6th gear as it easily holds 110km/h up even the biggest hills.

I drive an auto diesel.. sad to say. I regret not buying the manual. I don't think it's that bad as you described it. It does "sound" like revving high but only up to 3000-4000RPM  when I floored it, never did reach the redline. Well at least up to 100km/hr. I think when you drive more, it'll smooth itself out. I assume you talking about the auto and not the paddle-shifts. How many kms have you done?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
G'day all

You should have bought petrol if you're going to drive like that. It's simply not necessary in a diesel.  :neutral:

johns78c
Thanks for making out like it's my fault guys.  Of course I do not drive like that all the time.  I'm sure everyone understands that in certain situations that kind of driving is necessary, especially in an underpowered car like the crdi.  I had only noticed that the car seems to perform better when changing gears at 3500rpm as opposed to taking it any further.  I'm taking it that no one has modified their auto shift points.  Moderators, please close this topic.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I only have the 4 speed auto, but would have to say I have only reached 3500rpm once or twice where I have underestimated a gap, or road conditions have changed. usually I will plug along to a max of 2500.

I would assume that the auto is reacting to your driving, If you bury your foot to the floor, the car will no doubt go to 3500 and beyond, look out the mirror see the 'smoke' thats diesel that you wasted. From my experience the car wants to change gears before 3500, it would only be going beyond that in responce to your driving, try easing back on the accelerator and bingo, gear change.

After nearly 90,000k I would also dispute your claims that the CRDI is underpowered. I came from a 6 cylinder Falcon, and can't say I have ever wanted for power, even when carrying the family and luggage up a steep hill on holidays.

It would seem to me, that you need to search some of the threads on how to drive a diesel, it also seems from your response that you will not do this....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I have the 6 speed auto, it seems to shift just fine. I rarely have the need to put the pedal to the floor but on the odd occasion I want to keep the revs a bit higher, I put it in the "manual" mode.

I'm surprised also you feel the car is underpowered. Maybe this points to another issue.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: johns78c
... Of course I do not drive like that all the time ...
Nobody's really said that you do :lol:

Anyway - you sure took your time responding to your own thread to defend yourself (Jan 2013 :eek:) :rolleyes: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal