i30 Owners Club

Cold Air Intake or Hi Flow Panel filter for a 2012 gd 1.6 crdi

THE i30 · 19 · 7644

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
Does anyone know of a CAI or Hi Flow Panel filter for the Latest CRDI I have a spider tuning box and a 2.5 mandrel bend sports exhaust fitted and need the final piece of the upgrade a CAI if possible.
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Er, no.  :scared: :-[
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/hyundai_i30.aspx
http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intake/hyundai.htm?pkid=165370&rw=1

How much difference did the changes make. I am considering the same sorts of changes when I get a few more miles on the clock.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

How much difference did the changes make. I am considering the same sorts of changes when I get a few more miles on the clock.

Haven't had it on a Dyno yet but torque is strong from 15000rpm right through to 3500rpm now where as before it was from 2000rpm to about 3000rpm and turbo spools up much quicker so revs are made quicker all in all it's made a good engine into a great engine.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Interesting, thanks for the feedback.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Haven't had it on a Dyno yet but torque is strong from 15000rpm right through to 3500rpm now where as before it was from 2000rpm to about 3000rpm and turbo spools up much quicker so revs are made quicker all in all it's made a good engine into a great engine.

Once  :faint: :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
I had been in contact with a supplier/manufacturer in ROC late last year....for the same reason that you allude to, they provide a "kit" and it looked quite comprehensive and adaptable.

I didn't go through with it , as yet , as I was considering upgrading my 2009 CRDI, but now that might be on hold a while, so I will be revisiting the option.

I was also looking at adding in a "turbo vane" in the induction pipe, ex USA, but have that on hold pending further investigation. Seems that there is a mile of info for petrol adaptions and accessories, but they are scant on the benefits and performance in diesels.   :rolleyes:

I also run a spider box.

I will dig out the details and pass them on..

Cheers
  Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I had been in contact with a supplier/manufacturer in ROC late last year....for the same reason that you allude to, they provide a "kit" and it looked quite comprehensive and adaptable.

I didn't go through with it , as yet , as I was considering upgrading my 2009 CRDI, but now that might be on hold a while, so I will be revisiting the option.

I was also looking at adding in a "turbo vane" in the induction pipe, ex USA, but have that on hold pending further investigation. Seems that there is a mile of info for petrol adaptions and accessories, but they are scant on the benefits and performance in diesels.   :rolleyes:

I also run a spider box.

I will dig out the details and pass them on..

Cheers
  Tony

Thanks Tony that would be great.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Does anyone know of a CAI or Hi Flow Panel filter for the Latest CRDI I have a spider tuning box and a 2.5 mandrel bend sports exhaust fitted and need the final piece of the upgrade a CAI if possible.

don't they come stock with CAI now? my two FD CRDi i30 both came with it. i think its a glorified term to say Outside air intake, they pick up the intake air from a plastic scoop then it goes to the air flilter you can put a K&N filter that goes in same spot as the stock filter. they are slightly less restrictive, but no idea if you can feel a gain?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am under the impression that a CAI on a turbo diesel will make very little - if any - improvement to power output. A CAI is most effective on normally aspirated engines.

There is plenty of information floating around the internet on the topic which I am sure your investigations will reveal.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Guys, I will post some evidence to the contrary, as soon as I work out how to get the info into the post....

Out of time right now...   sorry.

Watch this space   :idea:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have noticed that the air intake seems to come from somewhere inside the passenger front guard not sure how good it is as the inlet is fairly restrictive, I have ordered a K&N Panel filter to fit into the airbox so ill see how that goes but not sure it will make a lot of difference if I can't get more air to it. 

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Wow, I thought that Hy would have kept the OTR air intake system.. I have not had the chance to check out the newer versions...

The K & N panel will flow better, but a "pod type filter" may give a better results again... depending if it can be attached externally, like behind the bumper bar. You can get these in a form that repels water etc as well, so they can be used in semi exposed places.

Be interesting to hear if the K & N seems to make any noticeable difference..... tests say that it should... :)

I am waiting for some info back from the USA on the topic at the moment.

I will post the CAI figures ASAP... It is in word format right now and so needs to be saved as an image   ( I think)

Cheers

Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
anyone considering a cold air intake needs to watch these 2 videos, i'm a pretty big fan of these 2 guys  :goodjob2:

for cold air intakes

for pod filters and panel filters

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
I just make the point that they were not testing a diesel vehicle....  :confused:

I will get those figures sorted soon... just have a full plate right now... :'(
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Very good vids, thanks Kom.. :goodjob:

Just makes me happy I never spend my money on those things.  :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I just make the point that they were not testing a diesel vehicle....  :confused:

I will get those figures sorted soon... just have a full plate right now... :'(

So what sort of improvement did you get roughly Tony.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Not my figures  I am still investigating, but.... the figures are from Xamaxy who did a lot of development on his i30 over in Europe and was an avid CAI convert. What I have is all his dyno results etc...

Will sort them soon.,.. Just flat chat day and night at the moment.

Hang in there.. :snigger:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal