i30 Owners Club

Pod filter GD Petrol..

RossC · 10 · 4107

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well, after all this time I decided to see how much difference a pod filter would make to the i30.

I popped down to 'super cheap auto' and purchased a $25 filter, took off the factory air box and fitted it to the end of the factory pipe. At first I didn't notice too much of a difference aside from the growl between 2 and 3k rpm when you put your foot down. After about 20 minutes of driving however, it seemed to get more and more responsive.
The fuel consumption dropped too. On cruise control up the highway it dropped to 5.7l per 100.

After seeing how much of a difference it made, I purchased a universal induction kit from a performance shop for $55. This came with a small pod filter which they let me exchange for this enormous one at no extra charge, a stainless steel induction pipe, breather pipe, hose clamps and a flexi pipe which I haven't had to use.

I then packaged up the 'super cheap auto' one and took it back.

So in the end, this entire mod cost me $55. The only extra piece I needed was a piece of silicone pipe to connect the stainless steel induction pipe to the throttle body.

The whole mod took me about an hour to do, as I had to cut the stainless pipe to length and fit it up.
I made up some brackets to support the pod filter but I ended up not having to use them, as the filter assembly is more than held in place by the clamps to the throttle body..

The dead spot the car used to have at low rpm is now gone. Even in 3rd at 1800 rpm, if you put your foot down it starts merrily pulling away which it never used to do. When it reaches 5200rpm it hits what sounds like vtec in a honda..? But when you're driving normally it sounds as quiet as it did before hand.

The best part is you don't have to damage or change anything, and the car can be returned to stock in about 15 minutes :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing be interested to see what others think. Especially other petrol owners ... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing be interested to see what others think. Especially other petrol owners ... :D

HHHMMMMMMMMM  :undecided:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think it's more the fact that it cuts out all the restriction underneath the factory air box..?
As I said previously, the flat spots down low are now gone.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
How disgusting was the panel filter in the airbox?? Replacing it potentially may have had the same effect.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
How disgusting was the panel filter in the airbox?? Replacing it potentially may have had the same effect.

It was still clean. Just went for its 15k service a couple weeks ago so I assume they would have replaced it?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Don't assume anything, for the very best of these induction kits to show any benefits at all the pipe length and diameter has to be tuned and the cold air input needs to be exactly that! Even then benefits are minimal, most benefits are thought to be psycho sematic due to the sound created through induction.

I'm not a fan. Clearly lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well, I can only go off what I have experienced with it.
I have put many cold air kits and pods on cars when I was younger. Some made a little difference but not as much as this one did.
In saying that, I haven't been bothered to do any modification to a car whatsoever in the past 7 years or so, until I purchased the i30.
I'll probably change it back to standard at some stage. Before its next service maybe?

It does seem logical, given the fact that after I removed the airbox, the pipework that silences the factory induction noise, which fills the area behind the left side of the bumper, has pipework about 2/3 the size of the throttle body.

You can buy a k&n typhoon kit for this car. This comes as a direct swap over replacement for your factory airbox. It comes complete with heat shield, and is proven on a dyno to add power.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
that video has one ERROR, a genuine nissan paper filter is oiled, the only reason that K&N filters cause 'problems' is when muppets dip them in oil then put them in the car!

hit up the 1/4 mile... that's where things really show their benefits!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal