i30 Owners Club

Oil and fuel additives

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
What is everyone's views on using oil additives, that supposedly clean the engine and spitfire to clean the fuel system?
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Don't use oil additives AT ALL,there is  absolutely no necessity to if you are using a good quality,Full Synthetic oil,I use a debug fuel additive which is supposed to clean the fuel system,just under $20 litre,but if you are using the higher grade fuels at all times you should not need to use the fuel additive either,years ago it was a must these days not so much. 
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Don't get much choice on the grade of fuel being diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Agree with Rick-p.

Never use a petrol injector cleaner in a Diesel, not sure whether Spitfire is Diesel acceptable or not. I do run a Diesel bug additive to eliminate water and the potential "Bug". Expensive, but 1 lt treats 400 litres. The fee to remove diesel bug, assuming it doesn't actually damage the fuel system is about $300 for a tank clean, so for me it's good insurance.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Wyn's spitfire makes a diesel only fuel cleaner

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Don't get much choice on the grade of fuel being diesel

Is these days Reaper there are two diesel grades,truck diesel this is the one which is sold at any servo and then there is Vortex and ultimate,both cleaner high grade than the normal truck diesel,not sure whether shell has a high grade diesel yet,using the higher grade diesel not only gives you slighter better performance it also gives you better mileage,mileage wise I have proven it myself time and time again.if you run on Vortex regularly you pick up 1-3 kilometers a litre depending on how you drive,I being the tight arse I am only buy the better grade diesel when it is only 1 or 2 cents dearer than the truck diesel,most times over here it is usually up to 10 cents different
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I didn't know that Rick-p  :thanx:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
BP only sells premium diesel to car owners over here.
I try to use it whenever I can.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Huh, did not know that. I have had the best performance with shell. But then again, haven't used BP as much. I always use shell and caltex, since I get the woolies discounts, lol :lol: and the caltex down the street is a brand new station, with diesel on every pump

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I was talking W.A.
Not sure about other states.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
It is marketed here as ultimate diesel at bp in nsw

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Sorry to tell you Dave,but if the pumps are not mark Ultimate,you are in fact buying truck grade diesel,I have already had this discussion with BP head office Perth before,if your servo is telling you other wise they are pulling the wool over your eyes,same as Clatex,if the pump is not marked Vortex diesel you are in fact getting the lower grade truck diesel

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I decided to run some Chemtech Diesel Power fuel additive while on my recent trip to Adelaide...

http://www.chemtech.net.au/Diesel%20Power%20Features%20&%20Benefits%20NOV09.pdf

I've now done 3000+k's and the engine is running sweetly and fuel consumption has been pretty impressive.

Going by the trip computer, my i30 averaged 4.2l/100k on the trip over and on the trip back home.
I also did a trip up to the Flinders Ranges where most speeds were around 110kph except for the hilly windy sections, and it still averaged 4.9l/100k....  :D

Oh, and I just used plain old truck diesel...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
SA Great :exclaim:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sorry to tell you Dave,but if the pumps are not mark Ultimate,you are in fact buying truck grade diesel,I have already had this discussion with BP head office Perth before,if your servo is telling you other wise they are pulling the wool over your eyes,same as Clatex,if the pump is not marked Vortex diesel you are in fact getting the lower grade truck diesel

I may stand corrected, but as far as I'm aware BP only sells Ultimate to car users (may be different for hi-flow).
Certainly all the service stations I visit are Ultimate, but happy to know if this is not the case.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
SA Great :exclaim:

It was great, Phil...  :lol:  :goodjob:

I couldn't help but notice how much better your roads are than those around here. While some of the lesser roads may have been bumpy, at least they weren't full of holes like they are around here.  :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think they're pretty good too, all things considered. We are fortunate not to have EU weather conditions + salt and frozen ground during the winter. If anything, they get a bit hot, but i believe there's a special mix for hot climates.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

I may stand corrected, but as far as I'm aware BP only sells Ultimate to car users (may be different for hi-flow).
Certainly all the service stations I visit are Ultimate, but happy to know if this is not the case.
As said Dave,if the pump is NOT MARKED Ultimate,it is NOT unltimate,Hi Flow or not,will attempt to find the conformation letter I received from BP Perth on this matter,the only reason I looked into this,I I had a couple of service stations,charging the higher price,saying they where stocking Ulitimate,when in fact they where not,it is BP policy that all pumps are correctly labelled,same goes for their three grades of Unleaded,the stations stocking all three grades their Pumps have to be clearly mark for the correct fuels,most stations these days especially in the metro area have had all the upgraded pumps and tanks installed,but there are still a few in the outer areas which have not and have not got the tank capacity to carry all the grades of fuel.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Vortex contains 10% soybean juice apparently. This from the materials safety sheet when I was checking what was actually in the fuels a while back. I say run with whatever the seat of the pants-o-meter says works for you. I have not noticed any difference between them myself.

Back to the original topic, this is old ground and many posts already exist. A summary:

Cleaners - Hy use an injector cleaner at some services.
Oil - no need for lubrication modifiers owing to chem packs in modern oils and low service cycles. However, some use the bug treatment as a preventative. No harm in this and as pointed out it maybe cheap insurance against a bug infestation which will rob your car of performance at best and entirely shut it down at worst.
Some use injector cleaners as well between services. If it provides peace of mind why not.

As Yoda might say, do or do not. Your call really but strictly speaking there is no need so long as regular scheduled maintenance is performed.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal