i30 Owners Club

100km more

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
My maximum km done with a full tank was 665km. With driving economically as much as possible.

Now I've done 770km! That's 100+ more!
And I even did NOT drive economically every day.

But I think why, 3 reasons maybe ...

1) Now I drive 50km more because I refill my car after 50 km when the indicator went on
2) Using super 98 petrol ?  :neutral:
3) My K&N airfilter ?

Dunno about the last 2 but I'm certain I couldn't drive 100km whilst the indicator on!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a good result for a petrol Nick... (guess it's a combo of all three)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I'll try to drive as economiccly as I can next time I fill the car full.  :)

Would be amazing doing 800km with a petrol car!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I better move this to the petrol thread...

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I'll try to drive as economiccly as I can next time I fill the car full.  :)

I did it in my Nissan Pulsar once. 863km to be exact! With less than 50lt's!

Regards

Daniel

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I better move this to the petrol thread...
Good idea, forgot their was a thread of this ;)

I did it in my Nissan Pulsar once. 863km to be exact! With less than 50lt's!
What engine did it had? My i30 has the 1.4 engine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm guessing it would be a 1.6 pulsar (Had one myself and they were very good on fuel also)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
1.6lt.

Empty the car was qouted about 1000kg. Car was about 13 y.o. with over 200,000km on the clock.......

I was moving from Victoria back to New South Wales and had the car packed with 'stuff' so a few 100kg on top of that probably brough it up to the empty weight of an i30 (1300kgish).

It was a great little car. My first also. I regretted having to sell it, but that's the way it is sometimes........

Regards

Daniel

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
1.6lt.

Empty the car was qouted about 1000kg. Car was about 13 y.o. with over 200,000km on the clock.......

I was moving from Victoria back to New South Wales and had the car packed with 'stuff' so a few 100kg on top of that probably brough it up to the empty weight of an i30 (1300kgish).

It was a great little car. My first also. I regretted having to sell it, but that's the way it is sometimes........

Regards

Daniel
Yeah, the i30 is heavy ... my opinion  :rolleyes:  :) It's a nice car, looked it up.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I get an extra 50km extra with premium 98 octane petrol. I pushed 640km form the tank last week. Nad still had just under 1/4 tank :)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I get an extra 50km extra with premium 98 octane petrol. I pushed 640km form the tank last week. Nad still had just under 1/4 tank :)
Now I always use 98 now :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I normally get in the low 700s but haven't pushed the tank really low. I reckon in a pinch I'd get 800 no worries. Even the trip computer reckons I'll get 776 from this tank. And it's a bit pessimistic.  :D

Usually run on 95, occasionally 98. Find it makes very little difference with the better brew. Even the book says the car will do it's best on 95.  :wink:

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Usually run on 95, occasionally 98. Find it makes very little difference with the better brew. Even the book says the car will do it's best on 95.  :wink:
True but i made some calculations and you save money when using 98. because you drive more km's with the same capacity of liters and only a few bucks more.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The simple reason I use 98 is because it's more widely available than 95. Seriously, everywhere I go usually has E10 crap, unleaded, and 98 octane. The local petrol stations only have 1 or 2 95 octane pumps, whereas the rest have 98 included....

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Not here, there is always 95, 98 or diesel :) but at some small villages there's only diesel but thats very rare

diesel is today 0.999€/liter
petrol is 1.189€/liter for 95 and 1.214€ for 98

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Nick i can do 800k before filling up with my 5.4L V8,

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

The simple reason I use 98 is because it's more widely available than 95. Seriously, everywhere I go usually has E10 crap, unleaded, and 98 octane. The local petrol stations only have 1 or 2 95 octane pumps, whereas the rest have 98 included....

Yeah I hear ya... Crystal probably gets about 50/50 depending where I go. I have Shell and Caltex fuel cards but I've noticed, as you have, that they seem to have dropped 95 in favour of *shiver* E10. Fortunately there is still a Caltex near my work that has 95 and 98, so I go for 95 because she doesn't seem to care either way.  :wink:

Haven't you read the brochure Duckman? E10 is GOOD for your car!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i don't know much about the E10 as it is only new, but Caltex, BP & Mobile 98 i think is all the same fuel, and i have looked in a motor that ran on bp ultimate 98 and no carbon biuld up keep motor very clean, i think it has an aditive the 95 does not have, but performance would probably not be as good on 98 as 95, you get your best performance on fuel that is on the verge of detonation, any slower burning than your motor needs and you make less power. i have seen this on Dyno's and tested it on race tracks.
i think the E10 is higher octain than 91 unlead, the reason it would not get same economy is that normal fuel run's at 12. 7 to 14.5 air fuel ratio the smaller number being richer and the larger number being leaner, ethanole on the other hand runs at an air fuel ratio of around 9, but with only 10% you would need to use it for a while and check economy before you would notice slightly higher fuel useage. if you ran at a percentage like the V8 supercars are of 85% you would notice less economy but it burns cleaner. so good for enviroment.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

lol yeah I was being sarcastic, I wouldn't put E10 in my car if they paid me to take it. If you take in to account the fossil fuel used in harvesting and processing the ethanol it's environmental impact is pretty much neutral or negative, and then add the fact that economically it makes no sense (uses more than you save by paying 3c less) and the car runs like a pig. It attracts water so that helps corrode the fuel system, and they even had to recall the early HD Elantras because E10 was eating the fuel pump.

Oh, and it makes food more expensive by using productive farm land.

Running the V8 Supercars on E85 is pretty much a marketing gimmick, so they can say that their cars don't really use much fossil fuel, but that's stretching it a bit.

BP (I think) had a brochure that said E10 was better for the environment (highly dubious) and better for your car (completely incorrect), which got on my friggin nerves.

*climbs down from soap box*

As for getting more power/economy on 98 than 95, that is correct as long as the car adjusts itself to take advantage of it. Hyundai suggest that the car won't take advantage of the 98 but will adjust to take advantage of 95, so 98 is a bit of a waste, assuming 95 is also available. Would be interesting to do a scientific test and see what power these cars produce on E10, 91, 95 and 98. Bags not using my car though, then it would have had E10 in it *shiver*  :wink:

:wink:

Pip
lol yeah I was being sarcastic, I wouldn't put E10 in my car if they paid me to take it. If you take in to account the fossil fuel used in harvesting and processing the ethanol it's environmental impact is pretty much neutral or negative, and then add the fact that economically it makes no sense (uses more than you save by paying 3c less) and the car runs like a pig. It attracts water so that helps corrode the fuel system, and they even had to recall the early HD Elantras because E10 was eating the fuel pump.

Oh, and it makes food more expensive by using productive farm land.

Running the V8 Supercars on E85 is pretty much a marketing gimmick, so they can say that their cars don't really use much fossil fuel, but that's stretching it a bit.

BP (I think) had a brochure that said E10 was better for the environment (highly dubious) and better for your car (completely incorrect), which got on my friggin nerves.

*climbs down from soap box*

As for getting more power/economy on 98 than 95, that is correct as long as the car adjusts itself to take advantage of it. Hyundai suggest that the car won't take advantage of the 98 but will adjust to take advantage of 95, so 98 is a bit of a waste, assuming 95 is also available. Would be interesting to do a scientific test and see what power these cars produce on E10, 91, 95 and 98. Bags not using my car though, then it would have had E10 in it *shiver*  :wink:

:wink:

All that sits with my beliefs... good post.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well as i said i have not had anything to do with ethanole fuel but have run methanole in race motors, but i would say that within say less than ten years we will not have any choice. same debate was around when they started useing unlead fuel but not to do with economy, now there is no lead. we have poor quality fuiel in australia but some fuels are ok. i think you would need your whole system to be designed to run on ethanole as i remember Methanole could destrol different type fuel tanks or different type fuel lines & it did not take long to destroy them eather.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal