i30 Owners Club

Philips LED DRL.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I was wondering if anyone with a bit more electrical experience than me could advise.

How would these possibly go with the i30?

http://www.invisionsales.com/lighting/philips/drl/drl-daylight-4

The installation instructions are here:
http://www.invisionsales.com/lighting/pdfs/led_daylight_4_installation_guide.pdf

Most of the installation I get except the actual connection to the existing headlight wiring. What does the "one touch connector" do and what is involved in connecting it to the existing wiring.

How easy would it be to do?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks quite easy.

The "one touch connector" is simply a snaplock, which bites its own way into existing wiring without the need to splice or cut.

How easy, depends on your confidence. My problem would be getting the things attached at the right height & width to adhere to our EEC regulations.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Now that is a mod I would consider for both our cars if not too expensive .. I would do it to the Hybrid first so Trish could see if she liked the look... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Looks quite easy.

The "one touch connector" is simply a snaplock, which bites its own way into existing wiring without the need to splice or cut.

How easy, depends on your confidence. My problem would be getting the things attached at the right height & width to adhere to our EEC regulations.

It does give you measurement to ensure you are attaching appropriately.

Back to the connection, in the site's video + installation guideline, it states you have to identify the parking light electricity supply cable. Would there only be one, I thought there'd be a positive and negative cable.

It also states you find out which one is correct by disconnecting it from the headlight plug, sticking the orange wire from the the control box into different sockets within the plug and an LED on the box lights up if it is powered.

Are all headlight assembly plugs the same, ie it's  a standard connection.

I take it you just work backwards and it's logical depending on which hole in the plug  you've discovered as active, you work backwards and identify the appropriate cable supplying that hole.

Lastly, those snaplock connectors, are they able to connect to the cable at any part of its length?

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Now that is a mod I would consider for both our cars if not too expensive .. I would do it to the Hybrid first so Trish could see if she liked the look... :goodjob:

Dazzler,

with the current state of the dollar against the pound, Powerbulbs would have it at about $150 for the LED daylight 4 if it was self installed. Free delivery to Oz.

How does that sound? I guess you're paying for a premium product compared to Ebay stuff.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Pretty sure wiring these DRL's into the parking light wiring won't be legal in Australia as headlights and parking lights need to be OFF when daytime running lights are ON....   :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Dazzler,

with the current state of the dollar against the pound, Powerbulbs would have it at about $150 for the LED daylight 4 if it was self installed. Free delivery to Oz.

How does that sound? I guess you're paying for a premium product compared to Ebay stuff.

So that is for a pair? or each? (for a pair that is not bad...)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Pretty sure wiring these DRL's into the parking light wiring won't be legal in Australia as headlights and parking lights need to be OFF when daytime running lights are ON....   :fum:

That's the beauty of it Rusty. They are hardwired on, but use the current in the parking light wire to feed to the control box to SWITCH OFF when parking light or headlights are on.

This means they should be road legal.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Be interested in seeing where you could fit them as I have been thinking of doing the same.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

That's the beauty of it Rusty. They are hardwired on, but use the current in the parking light wire to feed to the control box to SWITCH OFF when parking light or headlights are on.

This means they should be road legal.

Ok, ta...I downloaded the instructions and now understand how they get around it...cheers  :)

Personally I'm not a fan of them but I guess we won't have a choice soon the way things are heading....  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Found them a bit cheaper on eBay.... :goodjob:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-LED-Daylight-4-Philips-LUXEON-LED-Safety-DRL-4-/360378816399?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e840578f

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK - Halfords and others sell a similar product branded by Ring Automotive at a much lower cost.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165688_productId_787887_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Lighting-_-Ring%208%20x%20LED%20Daytime%20Running%20Lights&source=shopping#dtab

You can download the fitting instructions and wiring diagram here  http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/242292.pdf

I am no electrician and I am mystified at how the control unit knows when the engine is running to switch the lights on.

The feed comes direct from the battery which gives me the impression the running lights will be on permanently until the control unit senses that the car side lights are on and then switches the running lights off. However - the bumf states that the running lights come on only when the engine is started and are switched off when the car's side lights are on or when the engine is not running. Can anyone explain how this is done in simple terms.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I am mystified at how the control unit knows when the engine is running to switch the lights on.

It says to connect the white wire to an "ignition supplied source"... I would take that to mean a feed that becomes live when the key is turned; confirmed by their phrase "ignition switched source". Job done

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
 :lol: Hello members... I used to be on here username Ffoxy but as my car has behaved perfectly I haven't been on for ages & my old log-on wont work anymore so here I am again! I know this is an OLD old Thread but...

I have fitted some L.E.D. string DR L's. I have a relay that will switch the DR L's off when I switch the side / headlights on in line with UK legislation.

But what I am after, from you knowledgeable folks... is :-
My i30 is a 1.6 petrol Premium, all I need now is an ignition switched 12volt +ve supply from under the bonnet so the DR L's come on when the ignition is on, I don't want a switch inside & I don't want to run a 12 volt supply from the cabin, so... anyone know where I can pick up that 12 volt ignition switched supply? And which wire supplies 12 volts to my sidelights at the front so the relay will handle the switching off?

Cheers in anticipation all  :cool:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:lol: Hello members... I used to be on here username Ffoxy but as my car has behaved perfectly I haven't been on for ages & my old log-on wont work anymore so here I am again! ...

Naughty boy. You could have requested a password reminder, or flagged it on Facebook :rolleyes:

Quote from: Rules
I. User Names:

...  Members creating multiple user names without a prior agreement with Admin or Moderators will be permanently banned from the site.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

:( Sorry Steve... can that be corrected now & I'll be good I promise, I'd prefer my old Profile TBH.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:( Sorry Steve... can that be corrected now & I'll be good I promise, I'd prefer my old Profile TBH.
as sly as a fox.  :lol: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

:-[ I know.... but all sorted now, no malice aforethort...  :blubber:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I'm laughing with you,not at you.  :mrgreen: :rofl:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'm laughing with you,not at you.  :mrgreen: :rofl:

And taken that way fo sho!  :goodjob2:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you could hook into the cigarette lighter wiring to get power,that power turns off and on with the ignition.  :idea:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Use a couple of piggy-back fuses, like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=071-585

Use one piggyback fuse on the B/UP fuse for a source which is hot when the key is in the ON or START positions.

Use the other piggyback fuse on either the H/LP LO LH or H/LP LO RH fuses for a source which is hot when the head lamps are on.

Make sure the piggyback fuses are in the right direction.  Also, it might be a little tight for space in the fuse box.

:lol: Hello members... I used to be on here username Ffoxy but as my car has behaved perfectly I haven't been on for ages & my old log-on wont work anymore so here I am again! I know this is an OLD old Thread but...

I have fitted some L.E.D. string DR L's. I have a relay that will switch the DR L's off when I switch the side / headlights on in line with UK legislation.

My i30 is a 1.6 petrol Premium, all I need now is an ignition switched 12volt +ve supply from under the bonnet so the DR L's come on when the ignition is on, I don't want a switch inside & I don't want to run a 12 volt supply from the cabin, so... anyone know where I can pick up that 12 volt ignition switched supply? And which wire supplies 12 volts to my sidelights at the front so the relay will handle the switching off?

• 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I looked into fitting DRL's to my i30. I dropped the idea because the styling of the front of the car does not lend itself to the addition of DRL's without them looking like an ugly add-on if installed in a position that satisfies the legal requirements.

In the UK the lamps should be positioned symmetrically and in pairs; the same height from the road and the same distance from the sides of the vehicle.
The lamps should be fitted so that their outer edges are no more than 400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle. Height above the ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm.

This means that on the current i30 the lamps will have to be mounted on the surface and stick out on front of the bodywork - there just isn't a suitable recess to tuck them into. The alternative is to carry out surgery on the plastic front bumper and cut some slots to accommodate them - something I was not prepared to do.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

String l.e.d.'s were my choice for that reason Alan, rather than the horrid block built things places like Halfords sell.
Have you bought the new version then as per your avatar?

I utilised the "brow" above the foglights, attached my string under there. Unobtrusive & meets all the height / width / symmetry conditions.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

you could hook into the cigarette lighter wiring to get power,that power turns off and on with the ignition.  :idea:

:goodjob: Agreed, so is the audio feed, but without knowing where under the bonnet the feeds are, it means running a wire into the cabin & I dont want to do that.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Use a couple of piggy-back fuses, like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=071-585

Use one piggyback fuse on the B/UP fuse for a source which is hot when the key is in the ON or START positions.

Use the other piggyback fuse on either the H/LP LO LH or H/LP LO RH fuses for a source which is hot when the head lamps are on.

Make sure the piggyback fuses are in the right direction.  Also, it might be a little tight for space in the fuse box.

Thanks TLA, I'll look at that  :cool:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

String l.e.d.'s were my choice for that reason Alan, rather than the horrid block built things places like Halfords sell.

I utilised the "brow" above the foglights, attached my string under there. Unobtrusive & meets all the height / width / symmetry conditions.

The only string lights I have seen (so far) are not really bright enough to be classed as "proper" and functional DRL's. They are visible at night but not so much in daylight. More like the string Christmas lights you can get.  I guess that the brighter LED's require a certain depth to function.

Regarding your question - The new 2012 i30 is not yet on sale in the UK - my birthday is in March - so I might treat myself subject to seeing it in the flesh and taking a long test drive. It will need to be a lot quieter and more economical to get me to change.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

The only string lights I have seen (so far) are not really bright enough to be classed as "proper" and functional DRL's. They are visible at night but not so much in daylight. More like the string Christmas lights you can get.  I guess that the brighter LED's require a certain depth to function.

Mine were £1.99 from E-Bay & in broad daylight make my headlamps & foglights look yellow!  :scared:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I read in another topic that there is a DRL fuse in the engine bay. Check out it's off / on logic. All the logical switching may have already been done for you and the correct fuse would be protecting the correct circuit.

PS  Use a TEST LAMP to check the fuse logic.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal