i30 Owners Club

How to remove the 12V cigarette lighter unit

eugene188 · 33 · 18840

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

• MY2011 Elantra Touring, Automatic. Ottawa, Ont. CA
Did a quick search here but couldn't find out how to remove the case that holds the two 12V cigarette lighter sockets. I read somewhere else that you just use to thumb and fingers and squeeze them together and pull it out. Didn't work for me.

I bought a set of blue LED lights that I want to try and connect to the 12V line behind those sockets so I don't waste one of them, it is also really cumbersome to have things connected to the 12V sockets up front.
  • Elantra Touring GL, Automatic

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... I read somewhere else that you just use to thumb and fingers and squeeze them together and pull it out..
Well you probably read it on here actually, as that's what I did/noted to remove mine (see here).

It's not so much a squeeze - you just need to get enough grip to yank it out. It will come out, you just need more fibre in your breakfast confidence ;)

I also installed a blue flashing LED in that area.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

OK, so I just need to stick my fingers in the sockets and pull it as hard as I can? My b-fast was weak today, but i'll try it anyway.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep - that'll sure do it. The fascia is only retained by 4 or 6 small plastic hooks

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

wait..hooks? Am I supposed to break them out, or it it sort of like, if I pull hard enough, they release, and then i can snap it back in? Gonna try after lunch.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 16:40:24 by eugene188 »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah, little plastic grippers which release when pulled. Also just click back into place when you're ready to replace the fascia

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

PERFECT!

Also, this set of LED lights are a good couple years old, and I cut the 12V socket part out (but kept it) so I could use the lights for something else. The socket has a fuse in it, is it really needed? Or can I just forget the socket with the fuse and not worry about too much juice going through the wires and melting it?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Did you get it out ok then?

I can't see your LED blue lights pulling so much current as to melt the 12v rail ;)

Always good to have a fuse somewhere in the line tho...

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

I was more refering about the lines of the LEDs not being able to handle it. But I think it should be ok, I will test it.

I am definitely doing something wrong. I'm pulling as hard as I can, and trying to wiggle it. but It just wont come out. Even the side panels are wiggling when I wiggle it. My fingers aren't really thick so it could be I am not able to apply enough force? And the shifter knob in park is sorta in the way, neutral aint that great either.

Maybe If i can get some kind of clamp to fit inside the sockets..

I'm gonna see what else I can take apart to get to the insides!

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

wow...can't believe how much of a failure that attempt was. The actual unit didn't seem like it was moving much, but the side panels were doing more of the moving than the actual sockets! It could be a case of the hooks being real tight on the first go.

I tried to take out the whole center console and found some screws under a piece of material felt under the arm rest, but I need an extension on my ratchet set to be able to get enough torque to undo the screws. I'm using a multi tool thing which is for simple stuff only.

not sure how else i can remove this thing. my fingers slide out of the sockets before the thing even budges.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@eugene188,

You should fit an in-line fuse holder into the + wire of the led's. This is because the power supplied by the 12v, (if you ever get it removed, that is), has a 10 amp fuse = 120+ watts. This is a huge fuse for led's and should there be a fault in the led's or their wires, the fuse will not melt and break the power to the fault. This in fact, could lead to a fire scenario.

You need to find out how many amps the led's draw and put a suitable fuse, I'm guessing here, but probably 2 Amps to protect your led circuit.  :)

BTW I would advise this for ALL LED modifictions that are being fitted to cars, (DRL's etc).
Do not think you are protected by any existing fuses that are fitted in existing circuits. The wiring supplied for led's is usually pretty thin and @ 10 Amps + will quite happliy destroy itself, glow red hot and melt it's insulation, followed by a fire !
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

in line fuse eh? I checked the fuse for the lights, its pretty thin, I guess I'll take it to the electronics store and see what they got. I can't remember what the difference between a fuse, resistor, capacitor is anymore. (I hated electrical courses!)

First I gotta get the damn thing out! I can't believe there is nothing else on the net about removing the damn unit! One thread here, and one on hyundai-forums (which Shambles also wrote in)....honestly!!

I spent so long squeezing the 2 sockets, that my arm muscle got over exerted!!

I NEED to do this for when I install an in dash cam!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here is a linkt to some holders with a picture.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-AGC-6-x-30mm-6x30-Fuse-Holder-Case-In-Line-Screw-type-18AWG-Wire-Cable-/190698442012?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item2c66834d1c#ht_2834wt_1037

You open it up and put the fuse inside the screw back together. One end of the red wire attaches to your power supply 12v the other end attaches to the + wire of the led's, then you're protected.  :neutral:

PS, I just bought these too, they'll come in handy and not exactly expensive  :mrgreen:

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
 :happydance:

This is like one of those reality TV shows.

Sorry Eugene, I shouldn't make fun of your problems but it's great you're sharing them with us. Hang in there. Tell yourself you're smarter than a piece of stupid plastic.

My wife does that often when she's having computer troubles. :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

This is one of those things where I am doing something slightly wrong, and it just wont work. Once somebody comes along and shows me, then i'll be like...wasn't that stupid on my part? :wacko:

This is one of those times where my friends would say, we know u spent all that time in university and with all ur degrees, but ur still a dumbass. And i laugh because I know its true... :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool-shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple-teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep-wake him.
He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise-follow him.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wacko: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
I found that sticking my fingers into the socket to try and lift it out didn't work for me, but instead, leave the cigarette lighter still in there and the cap on the 12v socket. Apply pressure below these having your fingers parallel to the unit and push in an upwards and out towards you fashion and it should pop out and then by wiggling it around you can slide it out.

I have removed it many times to install footwell neons and also for a 12v gauge between the lighter and the 12v unit and that seems to be the easiest way for me  :D (also +1 to 847563's recommendation to add an inline fuse)

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

SUCCESS!!

I took WaJa's advice and pushed the unit up. It was moving much more than before, and I kept doing it until I started to get a click noise. Then I followed Shambles way and stuck my finger in the socket and kept pulling it. FINALLY there was one click and one side came out a little.

I think to get mine loose it was a combination of pushing one socket up and towards another. It really came through when I worked with one socket instead of trying to stick my fingers in both.

All it took was getting it out the first time and rubbing the clips continually. Now it is not as stiff as before. Time to order those in-line fuses. What am I supposed to do while I wait for those to arrive? :blubber:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
SUCCESS!!

I took WaJa's advice and pushed the unit up. It was moving much more than before, and I kept doing it until I started to get a click noise. Then I followed Shambles way and stuck my finger in the socket and kept pulling it. FINALLY there was one click and one side came out a little.

I think to get mine loose it was a combination of pushing one socket up and towards another. It really came through when I worked with one socket instead of trying to stick my fingers in both.

All it took was getting it out the first time and rubbing the clips continually. Now it is not as stiff as before. Time to order those in-line fuses. What am I supposed to do while I wait for those to arrive? :blubber:
Practise putting it in and pulling it out. :happydance:

And give up smoking. :wink:

Good news anyway. Perserverance pays off.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
SUCCESS!!

Time to order those in-line fuses. What am I supposed to do while I wait for those to arrive? :blubber:

They can be bought locally at any electronics store if you can't wait that long. Where are you, I forgot  :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

SUCCESS!!

Time to order those in-line fuses. What am I supposed to do while I wait for those to arrive? :blubber:

They can be bought locally at any electronics store if you can't wait that long. Where are you, I forgot  :question:

He is in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  :cool:

:snigger:

http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/electronicStores.html

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I looked, but there wasn't any info there. Thanks Dazz :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I looked, but there wasn't any info there. Thanks Dazz :goodjob2:

I searched his posts via his profile  :goodjob:

I have posted him up a link in my last reply to all the electronics shops in his area  :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Wot, you didn't order any for him  :eek: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wot, you didn't order any for him  :eek: :rofl:

I'm working on it .. how much is 40c Canadian in Ozzie $$$  :lol: (will paypal go that low)  :eek:

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

i bet those things cost 2-3 times more than on ebay...not to mention the sales tax in Canada. I probably should have gotten one from a store, and another from ebay. instead of 2 from ebay. Now that I have the unit out, i want to put the lights in ASAP!

40 cents? that seems real cheap. i think its probably close to 1:1 ratio now?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had to buy a fuse for my Remote Entry Gates and they were 40c at one place (but out of stock) found another place with them in stock but they said I had to buy a box of 5 for $5.60  :fum: (bread and dripping for the rest of the week  :disapp::rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As we seem to have two successful methods of removing this 12v panel, I think we'll shift the thread over to our "how to's" section :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal