i30 Owners Club

How to remove parking/position/side lights for the 2012 i30 GD

rickai · 27 · 21832

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I was going to post in Ross's topic but I figure it'll be too confusing so I started a new topic for easier find.

Was fiddling with the headlight over the weekend and accidently found out how to remove those parking lights. They are different to the FD so not many would of known how to remove them.

So here it is, for those who wants to know how to remove the sidelights/park/parking/position lights. I made a little something so that you don't have to go through hell like me. Sorry for the shabby drawing.  Time for a drink! :drinks:

Pip
Gees Rick, that seems surprisingly difficult. Why can't they be push/pulled from the rear instead of the front?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
After reading that hope I don't need to replace mine eversosoon
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Gees Rick, that seems surprisingly difficult. Why can't they be push/pulled from the rear instead of the front?

Unfortunately, the light plug/socket can't be pushed or pulled from behind. It is permanently attached in there and unless you destroy the plug, it won't come out. There are people from the forum tried the front-on approach but end up miserably and was forced to take it to the mechanics to do it. That headlight is designed not be fiddled with!

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
holy cow...didnt know it was that much of a bother to change  :Shocked:  I was only recently thinking of changing mine to those LED ones too but now I think I wont rush to do it now....lol

btw...are those LED ones the actual ones u have changed to, how many smd's are on each bulb? also did u need to modify the bulb to fit because I remember someone on here recently changed theirs and had to modify it to fit the hole.

also any chance of a photo with them on if its not too much of a bother...wanna see how good/bright they look when their on  :p
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
holy cow...didnt know it was that much of a bother to change  :Shocked:  I was only recently thinking of changing mine to those LED ones too but now I think I wont rush to do it now....lol

btw...are those LED ones the actual ones u have changed to, how many smd's are on each bulb? also did u need to modify the bulb to fit because I remember someone on here recently changed theirs and had to modify it to fit the hole.

also any chance of a photo with them on if its not too much of a bother...wanna see how good/bright they look when their on  :p

Yea, the one I took a picture of are with those LEDs installed. They are T10 42 SMD LED lights. I didn't fiddle with the bulb at all. I saw the other post too the other day and wonder why go through all the trouble. I didn't know LED had that many variations, I just got the cheapest ones on ebay. They only cost me $3 for a pair.

I tried taking a picture but my phone has crappy quality with lights, it showed much brighter and bluer than it should be so I went on google to find one that's closer.

Here's what the LED looked like (got it from the ebay seller I bought from)

Here's how bright it is, it's kinda purplish. Its closer to the 4300K range I think.

Here's what mine looks like. As you can see how biased my camera is.

For me, as long as it's not yellow, it's good enough. I don't really care much about the brightness as I already have DRL installed. :P

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
they look real smart..I might get a pair one day :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I like the personalised numberplate in that last pic but shouldn't that be a sad face, being in NSW and all.... :P  :whistler:

Oh, and is that "Panda" I spy in the passenger seat?  :lol:

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
I don't want to rain on anyone's parrade, but when I changed the ones in my GD, they just pulled ou from the rear as you would expect. They have a rubber seal on so they are tight, but they do just pull out.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
I don't want to rain on anyone's parrade, but when I changed the ones in my GD, they just  pulled out from the rear as you would expect. They have a rubber seal on so they are tight , but they do just pull out.

in that order I presumed  :rofl:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I don't want to rain on anyone's parrade, but when I changed the ones in my GD, they just pulled ou from the rear as you would expect. They have a rubber seal on so they are tight, but they do just pull out.

Believe me, i've tried doing that. I've tried twisting, pulling, poking and whatnot and none of those methods work. I even broke off a piece of it while trying to pull it out. I suspect different version of headlights? Mine's a Australian active so that could be the reason why. There are no rubber anywhere on those sidelights, its a hard tight plastic plug holding the wires together. I wish I had your headlights..

I wrote this guide because I've seen a few aussies had trouble doing it so I should say this apply to Australian version of GD only? I'm not sure about other countries as for now.

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
I like the personalised numberplate in that last pic but shouldn't that be a sad face, being in NSW and all.... :P  :whistler:

Oh, and is that "Panda" I spy in the passenger seat?  :lol:

:rofl: I was actually thinking this looks like the parking lot of my local priceline when I read that so it very well could be :P
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
took the plunge and finally fitted some smd side lights....very pleased with the end results
btw...mine was easy to put in....just pull them out then replace bulb and pop back in 5min job :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob: That looks better :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
took the plunge and finally fitted some smd side lights....very pleased with the end results
btw...mine was easy to put in....just pull them out then replace bulb and pop back in 5min job :goodjob2:

Looking good! Now for HID upgrade and it would look perfect!

Offline steveb

• 1st Gear
Hi
It my 1st time posting so I hope I get it right
I have just finished putting LED's parking lights in to my new GD i30  using the diagram at the top and it did take a couple of hours but only because I didn't push it in properly and it fell into the light assembly and it took 1 1/2 hours to get it out.
In the end it looks good.

:ta:

Offline huntsman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey folks

Just letting you all know the parking lights do pull out from the back they are very tight  and not much room I used a flat head screwdriver to GENTLY pry them out  about 2-3mm by putting  the screwdriver  just under the lip  at  the back of the plug and twisting the screw driver gently at bottom then at the top  then you can used your fingers the pull them out 

GOODLUCK

• 130 gd elite

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Hey folks

Just letting you all know the parking lights do pull out from the back they are very tight  and not much room I used a flat head screwdriver to GENTLY pry them out  about 2-3mm by putting  the screwdriver  just under the lip  at  the back of the plug and twisting the screw driver gently at bottom then at the top  then you can used your fingers the pull them out 

GOODLUCK

Would it damage the plug easily? I will try that on my headlight and see if your way works, that way I don't have take the whole headlight out, but still pretty messy to replace just one small light. I still find my way safer and easier though, with enough patience, I don't have to risk damaging anything.

Offline huntsman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey folks

GOODLUCK

Would it damage the plug easily? I will try that on my headlight and see if your way works, that way I don't have take the whole headlight out, but still pretty messy to replace just one small light. I still find my way safer and easier though, with enough patience, I don't have to risk damaging anything.

Sorry for the late reply.  The only damage i caused was on the first one, but it was very superficial like a couple of light scratches. But the  second one  was clean as, you just need to  be GENTLE. Just pry them out  slowly, DO NOT FORCE THEM  steady light to medium EVEN pressure just remeber they do click back in.

hope it helps 
  • 130 gd elite

Offline Rochdale Pioneers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Teesside
I know you are talking about GD, but if its any consolation to those of you struggling I have exactly the same issue with my FD. They're supposed to pull out from the rear, but whatever I tried they wouldn't budge! Didn't try a flat head screwdriver to pry at them though, hmmmm.....
  • i30 1.4 Comfort 5dr

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The lights in the FD are mounted with 2 barbed studs inserted into rubber plugs. A hefty pull is required but the unit is strong enough to take it.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Rochdale Pioneers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Teesside
So the barbed studs sit on the rubber plugs inside the light housing? I couldn't pull these out, even tried gripping one with pliers with no luck.

Would WD40 help/ do damage?
  • i30 1.4 Comfort 5dr

Offline Hash

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brunswick, Vic
Thinking of trying these CREE LEDs from Jaycar: ZD0493
  • i30 Elite CRDi Manual (MY14)

Offline zary96

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Split
Hi all
Im new here...i saw the topic and i have the 2010 I30 and i thought to put t10 68 smd position lights but i wonder if anybody has any experience with it...does the 2010 model have the same problem with pulling them out as the 2012 or i can just pull it out from the rear...i would be grateful for the help...thanks in advance  :goodjob2:
  • Hyundai I30 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal