Fitted my I30 with LEDS.

Michael T · 41 · 17473

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Found out that my glove box light is inop... Thought the bulb was burned out but nope the LED didn't light either. Will have to let the dealer know next oil change.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looking good, Michael.  :goodjob2:

Just in case you don't know; the glovebox light only works when headlights are on.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Just in case you don't know; the glovebox light only works when headlights are on.  :D

Just checked mine.

Unlocked car, sat in, key not in ignition nor lights on.

Opened glovebox and Light is on

Now where is switch as need to check it actually goes off when closed.
Not small enought to get in box and test!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Just checked mine.

Unlocked car, sat in, key not in ignition nor lights on.

Opened glovebox and Light is on

Now where is switch as need to check it actually goes off when closed.
Not small enought to get in box and test!

Must admit I wrote that because someone else mentioned that in another tread yesterday, I think it was.

Just checked mine  :P

In the car without the key in ign, no light in glovebox.

Turn lights on, just pos light, then light in glovebox.
Start the car, then light in glovebox, but we have DRL here in DK, so on the FD the headlights is the DRL's
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Thanks for the heads up! It does work with the headlights on.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Thanks for the heads up! It does work with the headlights on.

:goodjob2:

Can't promise such an easy fix next time... :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline igoforthebest

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Westmead, Sydney
Hi,

I'm planning to replace the interior lights with LED Lights. I cant seem to find the part numbers for the LED lights, can you please help me finding what LED lights I should be purchasing?
Thanks
  • i30 Premium

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Check your manual, it will list the correct bulb types needed.
You can also buy LED kits from eBay for most i30 MY's
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline nugget

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cobbitty, NSW
Sorry for resurrecting the dead but i thought it would be better than starting a new topic entirely
Can anyone tell me the bulb sizes in the map lights, dome centre light and the boot light?
And are the bulbs that i have so far correct?
Parkers 501 (W5W)
Indicators 581 (PY21W)
Number plate 501 (W5W)

Edit: It's a 2011 SX if that matters
  • 2011 FD SX 5 Door Hatch, Petrol, Auto, Red

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
As far as I know the bulb sizes for the dome, map and boot lights are Festoon type of 31mm length.

I ordered a few today and should be getting them next week at the latest. It is 4 SMD LED's at 76 lumens.

They look like these:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry for resurrecting the dead but i thought it would be better than starting a new topic entirely
Can anyone tell me the bulb sizes in the map lights, dome centre light and the boot light?
Parkers 501 (W5W)
Indicators 581 (PY21W)
Number plate 501 (W5W)

I wouldn't recommend using LED's in the indicators as they don't reflect the light correctly within the housing making it duller.

The best option I have found for indicators are the Osram Diadem bulbs ( Chrome ) they get rid of the fried egg effect and the orange colour is much more intense though the brightness is the same  http://www.osram.com.au/osram_au/diadem-chrome

Offline nugget

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cobbitty, NSW
Parkers 501 (W5W)
Indicators 581 (PY21W)
Number plate 501 (W5W)

I wouldn't recommend using LED's in the indicators as they don't reflect the light correctly within the housing making it duller.

The best option I have found for indicators are the Osram Diadem bulbs ( Chrome ) they get rid of the fried egg effect and the orange colour is much more intense though the brightness is the same  http://www.osram.com.au/osram_au/news-and-knowledge/automotive-special/automotive-design-lamps---eye-catchers-with-that-stylish-look/automotive-lighting---stylish-and-trendy/headlights---high-performance-design-highlights/diadem-chrome---design-for-indicator-light-and-tail-lamp/index.jsp

that's the plan for the indicators
i hate that orange bulbs with a passion

thanks everyone
bulbs are going to be ordered tomorrow

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There not cheap and the 6 bulbs cost me $70, Auto One tried to charge me $65 a pair for the PY's :fum:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
The best option I have found for indicators are the Osram Diadem bulbs ( Chrome ) they get rid of the fried egg effect and the orange colour is much more intense though the brightness is the same  http://www.osram.com.au/osram_au/diadem-chrome
I might give a pair of those a whirl. Not too pricey from a UK store

:link: OSRAM DIADEM CHROME PY21W (581) Styling Indicator Bulbs | PowerBulbs

£14.50 delivered

Or £8.48 delivered from eBay :link: OSRAM DIADEM CHROME PY21W INDICATOR SIGNAL BULBS 581 TWIN PACK 12V 21W BAU15S | eBay
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That looks similar price to what I paid, you don't require the 2 side fender T10's though :undecided: which is where my extra cost lies.

You'll be happy with them as they stand out much more easily with the intense colouring.

Ebay ones are very cheap :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm after brighter blinkers but I'm not so sure these will be any brighter than the ones I have. Still, losing the fried egg effect could be worth it anyway :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They are sort of brighter in a way because of the intensity of the colour, I first fitted in one headlight to see the difference from the other side and they are much stronger and more noticeable.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, in true Shambles style, I ordered a couple. Try at the front and see if they glow like they should :)

Offline nugget

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cobbitty, NSW
so i cracked open all the bulbs and found
dome light = 31mm festoon
boot light = 31mm festoon

and the weird part was the map lights had W5W style folded over metal pins but were bigger and rounder.  when I threw in some old LED W5W bulbs it didn't work. on the bulb it had written "ht o 12v10w x"

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
when I threw in some old LED W5W bulbs it didn't work. on the bulb it had written "ht o 12v10w x"

Are the led fittings polarised, try reversing them.  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nugget

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cobbitty, NSW
when I threw in some old LED W5W bulbs it didn't work. on the bulb it had written "ht o 12v10w x"

Are the led fittings polarised, try reversing them.  :idea:

yep
polarised

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I just fitted my 31mm dome and boot LED's. They are 4 SMD LED's with 76 lumens of brightness, but it is still morning here so I can't comment on brightness.

One good thing though is that the interior LED dims when the car door is closed and the key is in the ignition and turned to ON :goodjob2:

Now I just need to find out if I can pull the glove box one out and replace it. Maybe the vanity mirror lights too. Then the map lights. It just doesn't stop  :mrgreen:

EDIT: The glove box light seems like a festoon light, but thicker and longer (I'm guessing about 39mm), and the map lights are as nugget said.

The vanity lights I still need to get to to check what type and size they are

EDIT EDIT: Seems like my dome light doesn't go out completely when the doors are shut, almost as if there is a little bit of voltage leakage across the terminals. If I switch it to OFF it does go out, though. Only when it is set to door does it behave like this. Odd
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 18:04:22 by wabbit16 »

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
EDIT EDIT: Seems like my dome light doesn't go out completely when the doors are shut, almost as if there is a little bit of voltage leakage across the terminals. If I switch it to OFF it does go out, though. Only when it is set to door does it behave like this. Odd
I noticed this too in my old FD.  I remember measuring the voltage, and it was around 3V (IIRC).

This is not a problem in my Cerato and, I guess, in the GDs.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I noticed this too in my old FD.  I remember measuring the voltage, and it was around 3V (IIRC).

This is not a problem in my Cerato and, I guess, in the GDs.
No the issue is apparent in the GD's also, after changing mine over last month and before I replaced the light covers I made sure to check and test and the map lights still had just enough current running through them to turn the diodes white but not emit any light.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My guess is that when a capacitor discharges through a resistor when the door shuts, there is a small amount of leakage current continually passed through the cap / resistor combination to the led's. In a standard bulb, way too small to make a filament glow, but led's are another story.

Best to turn the switches to of if you not using the car for a long time, eh Lester. :razz:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
My guess is that when a capacitor discharges through a resistor when the door shuts, there is a small amount of leakage current continually passed through the cap / resistor combination to the led's. In a standard bulb, way too small to make a filament glow, but led's are another story.

Best to turn the switches to of if you not using the car for a long time, eh Lester. :razz:
At least it's just the dome light that does it (for now...). I checked the boot by keeping it closed and flipping one of the rear seats forward and it stays off.

I wonder if it might not have something to do with the fact that the dome light circuit dims after you close the doors and start the car? I see you can purchase CANBUS-safe LED's online but honestly this seems like too much of a waste just for a little bit of a glow. I mean, that current was there even before the LED's were put in and it didn't drain the battery or anything. I have heard of people putting resistors inline to bleed off the excess voltage on the circuit, though.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The capacitor / resistor I mentioned IS part of the dimming function. The rear light is not a dimmed light, so shuts off fully.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The capacitor / resistor I mentioned IS part of the dimming function. The rear light is not a dimmed light, so shuts off fully.
This makes sense. I would love to add a little resistor to dump the excess current but I strongly dislike soldering, so I will live with it for now :)

I went to a store today that I am going to buy an HID kit from for my dipped beam. They gave me discount and I am going to end up paying R550 (AU$55) for the two ballasts and the two 8000K bulbs. A far cry from the R1300 (AU$130) that I was quoted for a set last year! Thankfully they are legal here as I have heard elsewhere in the world they are deemed illegal and people using them on public roads can be fined.

They also had a very ingenious little device. It is basically a festoon bulb connector but with a spring in the middle so it fits all the festoon sizes. It then has wires coming off it that can be plugged into bigger LED squares, like the one below.

I might have to go shopping on payday  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
They also had a very ingenious little device. It is basically a festoon bulb connector but with a spring in the middle so it fits all the festoon sizes. It then has wires coming off it that can be plugged into bigger LED squares, like the one below.

The LEDs I have fitted to Firty are all of this type, which is what I meant by 'kit'. Pretty cool, making them quite universal. Probably repeating myself but the dome light is a 6x6 panel and the boot light is a similar 4x4, or perhaps 4x3 as shown in your post.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal