What is the best bulb for i30 ???

Ogi · 26 · 19919

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Hi !

I am not satisfied with my short lights... i have some Osram bulbs i bought at Hyundai dealer, i guess they are some regular ones... i want Xennon but the law is very percise - no headlight sprayers and auto leveling sustem - NO XENNON.  :mad: :mad: :ma

So i want to try with better bulbs... which one do you propose? The best ones here are Osram and Philips (like anywhere else i think).

Osram:

Nightbreaker
Silverstar
Cool blue

Philips (sick expensive so i would like to avoid those!!):

Vision plus
Blue Vision
Power2Night
Night Guide Double Life

Did any of you use Osram NB on i30 ? People say that they last incredibly short !! Silverstar have less light but last longer, peple say...

What do YOU say ? Which one i should buy ???

What are the bulbs in i30 when you buy it, anyway??

P.S. Saw somehwere on the forums DIY for changing the bulb on Hyundai i30 (with the pictures and all). I can't find it again. Can anyone help me ?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The nightbreakers are probably the brightest you list there. I fitted a set when the car was new and one blew in 13 months. The Philips extreme +80s were very bright too just a little more yellow. Silverstars etc are not so bright but may last longer.

I have just switched my dipped (low) beam to Nightbreakers +80 PLUS. They cost £2 more but are supposed to have a better life, time will tell.

Philips extreme do a +100 bulb now, but here in the uk they are twice the price of the nightbreakers.

Of course what ever bulbs you have there is possibly scope to tweak low beam a little higher and still remain legal. I did. It would help if hyundai would allow the alignment guide to be published, but they dont.

If you search there are qute a few threads on bulbs and changing them.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
13 months? It's great! I would buy them immediately if i could know they will last for 13 months...

There is no NB PLUS on our market yet. :(

On saturday, i have a 2nd regular service so i'm gonna tell them to tweak my lights as much as they can...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Thanks but i have never bought something on the internet, i don't have internet paycard and also it is a question if someone will ship to Serbia as well... we even don't have the paypal, i don't even know how the ebay is functioning. :((

I know anout the lights, high beam are H1.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks but i have never bought something on the internet, i don't have internet paycard and also it is a question if someone will ship to Serbia as well... we even don't have the paypal, i don't even know how the ebay is functioning. :((

I know anout the lights, high beam are H1.

would find it strange now with no ebay and paypal. Just about the only thing I don't buy on the internet is food.... actually I buy some food on the internet too.

How much do the H7 nightbreakers cost to buy in Serbia?

It is bad of me, I must admit I hadn't realise Serbia has not already become part of the EU, I see it is possible for 2014/2015.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
would find it strange now with no ebay and paypal. Just about the only thing I don't buy on the internet is food.... actually I buy some food on the internet too.

I believe you mate. It is such a normal thing. That is becouse you are living in a normal country and i live in hell.

How much do the H7 nightbreakers cost to buy in Serbia?

About 20 euros.

It is bad of me, I must admit I hadn't realise Serbia has not already become part of the EU, I see it is possible for 2014/2015.

Hahaha, you are such an optimist. :D It will never ever happen, believe me.

The nightbreakers are probably the brightest you list there. I fitted a set when the car was new and one blew in 13 months.

Were you using them day and night ?

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Ireland
i have night breakers plus in the full light and the dimmed light there are some job i have the headlamp turned up 2 or 3 inches as will  :D

Offline thaer.sh

• 2nd Gear

• ps Palestinian Territory, Occupied
      Ramallah
I would go for the Blue Vision, its so close to the xenon headlights...

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

http://www.powerbulbs.com/
Best ever eshop for bulbs...!!!!

My nightbreaker plus H7s were £15.50 delivered from ebay - they want £27.99

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Huh Ogi Ogi.. I've tried out many many bulbs, had Xenon HID kit installed in two cars..

- At the moment I have Osram Nightbreaker H7 PLUS in my i30 for two months now. I like them. They're just the right color - white (not yellow and not blue), they are not expensive (I got pair of them for 18 EUR), they have great light output and the new line "PLUS" should last longer then "normal" Nightbreakers.

- Before those I had Narva Range Power Blue (+50%). For me, they were too blue and didn't have as good light output as Nightbreakers. The price is about the same. Don't remember how long they lasted. I think max 5-6 months.

- I had Philips X-treme Power (+80%) in my previous car. They were also great, but they are very expensive. They do last though. They are bit more yellowish then the Nightbreakers. Light output is about the same if you ask me.

- I also had Osram Silverstar, but they didn't last for long time and they are not that powerful (at least compared to Nightbreakers).

- Osram Cool Blue is too blue for me and doesn't have that good light output.. Had them in previous car. Similar with Philips bluevision.

- Philips Power2Night. Didn't have those, but my friend had them. Nothing special.

- Philips Vision plus. They are a bit stronger then the normal ones, but mine didn't last for long time.. Weird.

I also saw that they started selling new bulbs Philips X-treme Vision (+100%), but haven't tried them out yet. Can't find the X-treme Power (+80%) anymore. Probably the replacement. The new Philips bulb should probably have better light output then NB then..

Anyways..my suggestion would be, to try the Nightbreakers Plus. So far they seem okay. They have the looks and the output. Slightly better then those, but more expensive, are Philips X-treme power, which are also great, but I'm not sure if they are selling them anymore. And probably the best of those two are the new Philips X-treme Vision, but they are also expensive, when comparing them to NB. Hmmm I'm thinking about getting myself pair of those when NB, which I have now, die. Though I find them great.

The prices in Slovenia are like this: For pair of NightBreaker Plus and pair of Philips X-treme Vision

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I also saw that they started selling new bulbs Philips X-treme Vision (+100%), but haven't tried them out yet. Can't find the X-treme Power (+80%) anymore. Probably the replacement. The new Philips bulb should probably have better light output then NB then.

Here in the UK the best price I could find last week for the Philips extreme +100 was literally twice that of the Nightbreaker Plus bulbs.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Accim, i mentioned in my previous post that there is no NB PLUS on out market, yet. :( So, today i bought regular NB's. They should be better, it's the question how long will they last...

Philips extreme power is 40 euro in Belgrade !!!!! Insane !!

Offline Edition

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

Im considering purchasing the Nightbreakers for my i30 but have a few questions. What blubs would match the colour for the side lamp?

The current bulbs are quiet yellow so thinking I would need to replace both?

Also how easy is it to change the bulbs in the i30? I have a i30 edition UK for reference :)

Thanks

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

For sidelights Superlux 1W LEDs are as bright (maybe brighter) as the normal sidelight bulbs, and very white. In fact they are whiter/bluer than the nightbreakers, noticeably so. They look realy good when on on their own as running lights, not quite so good when on with the nightbreakers.

If you don't want them to stand out the Philips Bluevision sidelight bulbs are an almost exact match for the nightbreaker's colour.

There are several topics on changing the bulbs, but the method depends on how brave you are. Here's a starter for 10.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4654.0

Keep in mind you need a set of both H7 and H1 bulbs to replace main and dipped beam. Ebay is usually by far the cheapest source in the UK.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yaaay! My Nightbreaker's died few days ago.  :evil:  :rolleyes: They lasted for approx 2,5 months  :neutral: It's true that the car is driven every day, the roads suck, the lights are on night&day, but still.. It just seems too short.

So I've put the Philips Premium +30% ones back in (I had them in before the Nightbreakers for two-three months. I think. Maybe even longer. Don't know. Damn.) and I'll see for how long will they last. When they go out, I'll probably try the Philips X-treme +100% and if those turn out to be piece of cr**, then I'm going back to xenon. Don't care about the tickets (not true, but what can I do).

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Gee, I hope my Night Breakers last longer than that....assuming I actually receive them. (ordered a couple of weeks ago)  :scared:

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
Install an HID kit!
MAke sure you have your light calibrated correctly... it's simply the best thing to have!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Install an HID kit!
MAke sure you have your light calibrated correctly... it's simply the best thing to have!
Not legal many places.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
what about if you just use the HID for high beam only and an improved bulb for low beam?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Legality aspects aside there are two issues with that.

Firstly is the i30 main beam is pretty good anyway
secondly, the HIDs won't fire up very quick so you loose the ability to flash your main beam lights. I guess if you leave low beam as filament bulbs they will light up, but its not the same for warning purposes. I think this would fail a MOT here in the UK.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
secondly, the HIDs won't fire up very quick so you loose the ability to flash your main beam lights. I guess if you leave low beam as filament bulbs they will light up, but its not the same for warning purposes. I think this would fail a MOT here in the UK.

The ability to "flash" our headlights is wasted on us poor sods in Australia. We're just as likely to cop a fine if we do it....  :rolleyes:

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
For australians:

Turns out the range at supercheap (that being calibre) actually arent too bad eh?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very good MS (thank you) I think I will move this to a more appropriate spot!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Edition

• 2nd Gear
For sidelights Superlux 1W LEDs are as bright (maybe brighter) as the normal sidelight bulbs, and very white. In fact they are whiter/bluer than the nightbreakers, noticeably so. They look realy good when on on their own as running lights, not quite so good when on with the nightbreakers.

If you don't want them to stand out the Philips Bluevision sidelight bulbs are an almost exact match for the nightbreaker's colour.

There are several topics on changing the bulbs, but the method depends on how brave you are. Here's a starter for 10.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4654.0

Keep in mind you need a set of both H7 and H1 bulbs to replace main and dipped beam. Ebay is usually by far the cheapest source in the UK.

Hi Lorian,

Thanks for all this info, I ordered the Nightbreaker Plus H7 / H1 from ebay. Both arrived the next business day! (Very impressed). Also ordered the blue vision but they havnt arrived yet..  ???

Just installed them using your instructions, very simple. I tried the removing the whole unit approach but felt like I was using too much force so just did it with the unit screwed in. Proved to very simple as long as you know how the wire clip works and remove the battery / fuse box.

Edi.

I will post a review on how the lights compare to the standard set (Got a long evening driving this weekend).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal