Speed Cameras and Accident Statistics

AlanHo · 13 · 3266

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A large number of local authorities in the UK turned off their speed cameras in 2011.

Since then, accident statistics have shown a downturn, with less road accidents in most of those areas.

Bristol is the first town to decide to turn them back on - to increase revenue no doubt.

BBC News - Speed cameras in Bristol will be switched back on
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Alan, to what do they attribute the drop in accidents?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan, to what do they attribute the drop in accidents?

I'm not sure. I have read in the media claims that some accidents were caused because drivers spent too much time looking at their speedo.

In our locally numerous speed monitoring signs have been installed over the last two years - they flash to indicate your actual speed when over the limit - I find these far more effective. On these roads it seems that average speeds have reduced when there is a constant traffic flow - because the head of the tailback has taken notice.

However it was reported last year that one of these speed indicating signs on a long straight dual carriageway road has become a challenge for hot hatches and bikers to see who can get them to read the fastest (perhaps after the idiots have warmed their tyres up by doing doughnuts on the Tesco car park in the early hours).

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Alan.If the drivers can't maintain their speed and still pay attention to the road, they shouldn't have a licence.
The speed monitors sound like a good idea. Maybe they could thwart the hoons by just saying you are speeding, rather than give the actual speed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Come to  WA Mate,Speed signs,speed monitors,stop/give way signs they all mean absolutely bugger all here(Oh! and NO ONE knows what indicators are),they give a license to anyone,no need to be able to read or speak English,I personally know four people who have NEVER done a driving test,done the theory but never a driven test and all have told the self same story.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
We do have those signs that flashes and show your actual speed set up at many city limits, and they do reduce speed inside city limits.

Before those signs, it was very much used with those speed bumps, when entering city limits, but ambulance/fire and police are not happy with those.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Come to  WA Mate,Speed signs,speed monitors,stop/give way signs they all mean absolutely bugger all here(Oh! and NO ONE knows what indicators are),they give a license to anyone,no need to be able to read or speak English,I personally know four people who have NEVER done a driving test,done the theory but never a driven test and all have told the self same story.

My indicators only seem to work intermittently. Is that a fault?  :undecided:
They work, they don't work, they work, they don't work.
Might have to take it in to Hyundai.
  • Tertius the i30

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

do you wear a long overcoat?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I bet that thought came to you in a flash.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I think it is just an indication of his sick sense of humour... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I think it is just an indication of his slick sense of humour... :whistler:

I gave 'im 'ell

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal