Car Chemicals and Performance Improvers

AlanHo · 8 · 1797

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I sometimes wonder about the efficacy of some of the stuff the advertisers tease us with and what they are made of.  How many are snake oil in a can.

At present in the UK motoring press Wynns are making a thing about their blocked DPF cleaner...WYNNS DPF REGENERATOR - 500ML 981AA1390
A quick googling has produced lots of mixed comments on car forums - some swear it did the job - others claim it didn't.  I find it hard to see how it works after being thoroughly burned during the cylinder firing stroke.

3 years ago I bought some wheel cleaner and recognised its smell. We had recently moved house and I had bought 5 litres of brick cleaner to get mortar stains from some walls. Bugger me - when I looked at the ingredients for the brick cleaner and wheel cleaner they were virtually the same (hydrochloric and phosphoric acids in low concentrations). The main difference was that brick cleaner was a tenth of the price.

One of my friends is a strong believer in diesel additives to improve engine power in his Astra. He used to use a proprietary additive but then "discovered" it was two stroke oil by another name. So he now buys 2 stroke oil at a quarter of the cost. I don't use either.

The car cleaner and car polish industry must be heaven for smart marketing managers who recognise our gullibility a mile off.

One of my grandsons has fitted his diesel polo with an exhaust a lorry would be proud of and has fitted a second hand chip tuning box. He swears that the car is now "heaps more powerful and uses far less diesel". Some hopes says I.   

What other stuff do we fall victim to I wonder...... :Dunno:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here's an old topic on Diesel additives.

Making your own Diesel Additive (and overpriced store options)

The only additive I use is for the Diesel bug, which, for all I know, might be recycled vegetable oil. I havent got a clue what's in to other than it doesn't smell like anything I've encountered and feels oily, like WD40, but if it keeps Diesel bug away, then I'm happy to use it. $300 to clean the tank plus the inconvenience of a possible breakdown, life threatening engine cut-out and time in the workshop prompt me to keep using it in our cars.

But yes, increasingly easy to part with your money for absolute rubbish.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I use a Diesel treatment from Ken Wyatt,without looking at the bottle,Diesel Debug,destroys algae breaks it down and cleans your system,last container I bought was $80.00 for five litres,teats 100 tank refills,50mils to 50 litres, I am due to get another container now, because I top my tank up on a daily basis, I tend to throw a dose in once every two weeks.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I'd never heard of diesel bug but having read up about it then that's one more reason I'm pleased I stuck with petrol. :)

I used to use Redex many years ago to stop engine fouling. No idea if it worked or not. With modern engines and fuels I don't think there is need for such things. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd never heard of diesel bug but having read up about it then that's one more reason I'm pleased I stuck with petrol. :)

I used to use Redex many years ago to stop engine fouling. No idea if it worked or not. With modern engines and fuels I don't think there is need for such things.

Seems like more of an issue in warmer climates, diablo.  Haven't heard of it being an issue in Tasmania and probably even less common in the UK (just guessing though)

Between DPF and Diesel Bug risk starting to go off diesel as an option for my next upgrade!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why Dazz,

We don't have DPF and you have a UK climate.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Hate to burst your bubble  :lol: but sadly petrol is just as possible to going off and producing sludge,plus petrol tanks are at a greater risk of peeling tank liner.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why Dazz,

We don't have DPF and you have a UK climate.  :whistler:

I reckon all Diesels in OZ will have DPF's by the time I am ready to change in say 2016 :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal