i30 Owners Club

Taking a trip with the i30 & carrying a load.

Opa_1 · 11 · 2977

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Hi all

Looking at a trip in the near future heading down to Victoria for the Cycling World Championships then head over to Tasmania for a week before working our way back home. Maybe five weeks all up taking our time.
Wanting to take the i30 to really give it a good drive and for the fuel economy if nothing else. The i30 is also cheaper to take across to Tassie.
The thing is, being used to doing this sort of trip in a much larger car (Territory), I am trying to work out the best way of loading up all the gear we will need as we intend to camp along the way as much as possible.
Needless to say a trailer will carry everything but these are not always practical and also attract a fair bit of extra cost on trip across Bass Straight. An option I am looking at is roof racks with a cargo basket.

Question is does/has anyone had any real experience traveling with a reasonable amount of kit in the i30 and does anyone use a rooftop solution for their needs? Interested to hear any feedback. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Opa.. Cant help with your question but if /when you get to Tassie it would be good to catch up for a cuppa (I'll pm you my mobile number - please feel free to PM me with any questions/advice regarding your Tassie trip  :razz:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
I think from memoy when I was asking about them was around 70-80kgs.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've had the rear of my hatch loaded up with 100kgs plus of cans of fruit and it wasn't to bad on the bumps [considering my car is lowered] with the load.i drove back from SPC in maroopna which was a 500kms plus round trip.i haven't got roof bars but the wife's cw has them but we've not used them yet so i cant answer that question.  :razz: i can remember dazz having mentioned he loaded the rear of his hatch up with bricks,but I'm not sure of how many.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:razz: i can remember dazz having mentioned he loaded the rear of his hatch up with bricks,but I'm not sure of how many.  :razz:

Have carted 80 solid bricks at a time with a nice big tarp under them...Hardly even noticed the load (could easily do 100+ but try to be gentle with her

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hahahahaha... the award for the most weird thing carried on an i30 goes to...

dazzler!!!!

in sure the i30 will be just fine carrying a deacent load, a cargo barrier (sits just behind the front seats) like the one's fitted to the government/council cars probably wouldnt go astray tho!

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Hi Opa.. Cant help with your question but if /when you get to Tassie it would be good to catch up for a cuppa (I'll pm you my mobile number - please feel free to PM me with any questions/advice regarding your Tassie trip  :razz:)

Excellent! Thanks Dazzler appreciate your offer and a cuppa sounds great. :D :D

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
Recently completed trip with my family - my wife, twin daughters 1,5 years old and me - to Montenegro (Lithuania-Poland-Slovakia-Hungary-Serbia-Montenegro-Croatia-Slovenia-Austria-Chech Republic-Poland-Lithuania, 19 days, 5400km). Our CW was loaded up to the roof, but we didn't need roof rack as we stayed in rented rooms and hotels (but carried along some our own food in refrigerator). It was noticeable that the car was loaded, dynamics suffered a little bit, but I have no complaints - it performed perfectly, especially in mountain roads. Average trip fuel consumption was 5.4l/100km, with temperatures ~28C and using air conditioning almost all the time. Actually, before our trip home average was 5.2 and thats after some mountain passes where you drive in I and II (highest altitude 1900m). But on our trip back highways at 140-150kph brought it up to 5.4.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Average trip fuel consumption was 5.4l/100km, with temperatures ~28C and using air conditioning almost all the time. Actually, before our trip home average was 5.2 and thats after some mountain passes where you drive in I and II (highest altitude 1900m). But on our trip back highways at 140-150kph brought it up to 5.4.

Very impressive for a fully loaded wagon  :eek:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
That some interesting numbers there with a loaded car through the mountains.
Good to know actually.

Offline chodups

• 2nd Gear
Livin' in the USA I drive an ET Touring SE.  Factory roof rails.  According to the manual the rails are good for 175 pounds.  Mileage around 31-32 mpg.
Add a Thule Crossroads rack with Hullaport Pro Kayak rack and mileage drops to 29-30 mpg.  Thule rack rated to 165 pounds.
Add a kayak or two at 45-65 pounds each and mileage drops to about 28 mpg. 

It's interesting that the empty rack has a greater impact on fuel economy than the drag of a kayak on the rack.

Jon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal