i30 Owners Club

I30 headlight alignment (2008 model)

astn945 · 10 · 6677

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
I've recently noticed that my drivers side headlight isn't aligned correctly. The light seems to be aimed outwards to the right and beam starts quite far ahead of the car (I'm guessing it's aimed too high). I've spun a coupe of adjustable cogs on the back of the headlight housing. One located between the dipped/ low beam and sidelight housing and one on the outer edge just under where the indicator bulb goes. I've tried turning these in all directions but the aim is still the same. Has anyone got any idea what could be wrong with it or how to correctly adjust the lights on this car? Everything seems hard to access. I had to take the whole light out to get a screwdriver in so even harder to get a true idea of the aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • (57 reg) Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort (109 PS)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think a 57 reg is an FD (series 1)?

I am sure they can be adjusted without taking them out. Hopefully someone who has done it on that model sees your post.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I recall adjustment is detailed in the handbook.

It also shows a diagram of how the lights should show if you place infront of a wall or similar.

When is/was it due its mot as it will have been checked
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
That's the problem. On the day of the MOT (in June) the test centre got flooded and all of the MOT's were delayed so I think they just rushed them through. I knew I had a brake light and a headlight bulb out when I sent it in and got it back with a pass and no advisories and both of those bulbs still out so I don't think they even checked the car properly. I changed the bulbs myself later on. I have got a handbook so I'll take a look in there. Maybe you can adjust it without taking it out if you can get the right angle and have small hands. It just seems that the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs are right behind where you need to get and barely any space

• (57 reg) Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort (109 PS)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm not sure on the FD but if similar to the GD then adjustment is done from above with a medium sized Philips screwdriver which locates on the edge of the cog turn dial.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
That's the problem. On the day of the MOT (in June) the test centre got flooded and all of the MOT's were delayed so I think they just rushed them through. I knew I had a brake light and a headlight bulb out when I sent it in and got it back with a pass and no advisories and both of those bulbs still out so I don't think they even checked the car properly. I changed the bulbs myself later on. I have got a handbook so I'll take a look in there. Maybe you can adjust it without taking it out if you can get the right angle and have small hands. It just seems that the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs are right behind where you need to get and barely any space

Very suspect if bulbs out and not reported.

What else did they not check..........

What mileage as i know on my 2007 the drop end thingies have been replaced and that was at low mileage of something like 30,000 miles.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think a 57 reg is an FD (series 1)?

I am sure they can be adjusted without taking them out. Hopefully someone who has done it on that model sees your post.  :cool:

:link: Headlights to short...

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
There is a hole to the outer section of the headlight (middle outer section as you are looking at it)
you need a VERY LONG phillips screwdriver (I think it is around 60cm long). Having said that I have
tried and I can see the screw turning, but the lights are not being adjusted no matter what. I rang my local hyundai service
and they would not tell me over the phone, they told me to bring it in, but I then changed my light bulbs
to xenon HID so I think they won't help me. THe i30's headlights as a car in general are VERY low and very
dim, I think it also has to do with the cars design. The only way I solved it is to get XENON HID kit. Very easy to install.

• 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it is around 60cm long
60cm :Shocked: medium Philips with a 25cm shank will do the job :)

As the link Rusty has posted will show the adjustments are done from above ( looking down ) the rear of the light housings.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Since you have replaced the globe be sure you have located it correctly.
Too many times i have done a service and found one headlight possum hunting, only to find the globe hadn't been fitted correctly.

Besides that the other guys have it covered.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal