i30 Owners Club

Vibration in the whole car, comes and goes... HELP

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
Hi Guys.
Thanks for a great forum. I have a 2010 CRDI FDH with 80kkm on the ticker. Lately i have got some vibration in the car, that apears for a while at 70-90kmh. After stopping or driving for a few minuttes it dissaperars. Wheels ar freshly balanced, and i have checked the basics of the suspension. It seems to come from the rear, but it gains in level and can get so heavy it feels like the whole car is shaking. And then it´s gone... im pretty clueless here :confused:, and hope someone got a clue where to start troubleshooting.... Thanks for any reply!
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Guys.
Thanks for a great forum. I have a 2010 CRDI FDH with 80kkm on the ticker. Lately i have got some vibration in the car, that apears for a while at 70-90kmh. After stopping or driving for a few minuttes it dissaperars. Wheels ar freshly balanced, and i have checked the basics of the suspension. It seems to come from the rear, but it gains in level and can get so heavy it feels like the whole car is shaking. And then it´s gone... im pretty clueless here :confused:, and hope someone got a clue where to start troubleshooting.... Thanks for any reply!

If you're happy the wheels and tyres are good then maybe it's not coming from the back, maybe it's  travelling through the whole chassis and could be a driveshaft issue?

These have a tendancy for grease to escape from the inner joint boot on the right side shaft which is also the longest. When you get wear in those joint they can go out of balance and shake the whole car usually 80kph up. It can also come and go initially and also can vary depending on temp and load on the shaft like going up a hill.

Two of mine have had issues, one I replaced and the other comes and goes but is now leaking grease. I think th e boots shrink or not clamped enough but with age they seem to come loose from the shaft. The boots are fine, just the clamping.

Maybe have a look and see if there is any evidence of this.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
Thanks for the tip tw. I will check if any sign of grease or slack in inner joint. The strange thing is that pedaling it or cluching it loose does not change the virasion. Neither easy breaking.... Still a bit confused, but i will check innerj..
Did you feel the slack in the joint when you had this issue?
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the tip tw. I will check if any sign of grease or slack in inner joint. The strange thing is that pedaling it or cluching it loose does not change the virasion. Neither easy breaking.... Still a bit confused, but i will check innerj..
Did you feel the slack in the joint when you had this issue?
I never checked for slack, evidence of grease escaping , previous experience with similar issue in another car and just the seat of my pants was enough.

If it was the front wheels you'd feel it in the steering wheel, so if the wheels are true, and balanced and the bearings are ok no abnormal play then it has to be something rotational and that leaves driveshafts.

No change clutching, yeah hard one to call, the shaft is still rotating but I'd expect some change.

Don't know too hard without putting my bum in it. May have to get a mechanic or someone you know who's handy with cars to take it for a drive.

i just wanted to highlight driveshafts can cause issues , not something that is obvious people think about.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my idea and it's based on what I've experienced so far . Got 3 of these so if 2 of the 3 have had shaft issues i'd say it's a possibilty

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh, 80000k is pretty low and I would not expect shafts to be an issue that young but if grease has or is escaping it possibly is and the boot shrinkage is likely more age related than distance.

guest9517
If it happends during acceleration, it could easily be a driveshaft thats to blame. Had a Kia Rio (2008) where i changed a driveshaft on due to this issue where the entire car is..kind of wobbling sideways...I felt nothing in the steeringwheel and when car wasnt pushed, it behaved nicely.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal