i30 Owners Club

Shutting down Windows 10 telemetry

CraigB · 10 · 2303

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard) :link: WPD | The real privacy dashboard for Windows. is a very handy tool if you'd like to safely shut down Windows 10 telemetry, it's portable so doesn't require installing and can be kept on thumb drive.

Once the interface is opened click on the Privacy tab -  scroll to the bottom and click -  disable all leaving the "included additional settings unticked", you can disable additional settings manually if you know you wont require them.

I find the Misc and Local Group Policy - Activity history can also be disabled without any ill effect that I've noticed, the option to restore defaults is at the bottom if you're ever unhappy with the changes :)

Another good feature (especially if you've removed CCleaner :D) is the ability to remove Windows Apps via the Apps tab on main interface, "dont" remove the Store App or Web Media Extensions, though any other app can be reinstalled from the store if you decide you want it back.

Enjoy :)

PS, ignore the Windows SmartScreen warning when first running the app, choose to Run Anyway, and steer clear of the Firewall tab on main interface if you're not confident in changing IP block settings though I've not had any issue using the top tab automatic option "Spy" which can also be disabled/removed if you don't like it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 19:46:36 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's a smart app :goodjob:

I particularly like the app uninstaller - it's as slick as a F1 racecar :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yeah I thought it was a great tool too, very handy and simple at it's purpose without any added BS :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Craig! I might try that later, seeing as my $78 new battery for my Win 10 laptop has given it a new lease of life!  :happydance:

Gone from 30 minutes to well over 3 hours on a charge.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :goodjob: I’m still deciding whether I want to grab a new battery for my laptop, a genuine one will cost twice that :eek:

Tried a few third party batteries but my Asus ROG never accepts them :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: I’m still deciding whether I want to grab a new battery for my laptop, a genuine one will cost twice that :eek:

The Ebay link said it was genuine and comparing with the original the markings and labels are very similar.  :victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

The Ebay link said it was genuine and comparing with the original the markings and labels are very similar.  :victory:
You got me thinking about it again so after contacting Asus service in Perth then PLE Computers I eventually managed to find one as a special order through Battery World for $130, the previous 3 I'd tried were all different brands via eBay who guaranteed they would work and never did.

The last battery I returned the seller (Zinco) even tried to get out of refunding saying it must be my system as his batteries are made in the same Chinese company as the OEM one's, he didn't have much to say when I said my battery states on the SN sticker "made in Korea" :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Sorry! I wasn't very clear in my reply there Dazz, I meant that my genuine battery would cost twice what you paid.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 13:01:04 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My new battery arrived after two months of waiting :) and it works  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal