i30 Owners Club

Comprehensive Insurance

Hornet · 23 · 3697

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I am shopping around for a better deal on my insurance that has increased by 50% over the last 3 years while the excess has doubled and agreed amount insured has halved, no change to my personal details. I have been told all the reasons like 1. Cost of labor for repairs is much higher (might be a little higher) 2. Your car parts are now much dearer (???) 3. I am now older (Sadly true :() There are many accidents in the district you live and you are not aware of this (just rubbish :utterrubbish:) and many other reasons.

I found these comments in a product review site

Question
Does (name removed) cover for non-accidental repairs like the ones that come up during a scheduled maintenance?
Hi XXXXX. Your normal mechanical repairs are not covered by the policy. The general exclusion from the PDS reads: We will not pay for loss, damage or legal liability caused directly or indirectly by: mechanical, electrical or electronic (including computer software) breakdown or failure; Thanks for asking a great question

My comment
Hi (name removed). As I read your reply to XXXXX, if my car computer software (ECU I think) malfunctioned and prevented my brakes working (EBC I think) and there was damage or legal liability as a consequence, the exclusion in your PDS would be triggered thereby making me totally liable for any loss. There are instances online and in forums where computer malfunctions have occurred causing damage because of brakes not working like they should and motors stalling in high speed traffic lanes. I will now have a close look at the cover offered by the insurer I renew with but in light of what you have raised, I may take 3rd party cover only. Once a Comprehensive Policy covered all damage and liability, that must now be a thing of the past.

It pays to read the fine print but in the past I have not. I will in the future as I recall posts here where a faulty computer has interfered with the proper operation of brakes and what about the young lass on a freeway in NSW who was killed when her ECU turned off the engine and big semi ran into the rear of her car.
Just thought I would mention this here for members who have assisted me in the past.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Hornet,

My RACT insurance for House,contents and two cars went up by about $300 last year but only about $50 for the year on this renewal. Reducing Value of cover and/or increasing excesses made little difference and they are awesome to deal with so i copped it on the chin. The $4 or so p/month  increase this year was excellent considering the indexed increase in House and Contents cover and the hgh agreed values on both our cars.

Sounds like you definitely need to shop around but keep using Product Review to weed out the dodgy companies as there is often a compromise between cheap and good.

Obviously your options may be different in Qld than in Tassie.

I get a silver saver reward of something like 15% for being older. (61 and 64)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I am shopping around for a better deal on my insurance that has increased by 50% over the last 3 years while the excess has doubled and agreed amount insured has halved, no change to my personal details. I have been told all the reasons like 1. Cost of labor for repairs is much higher (might be a little higher) 2. Your car parts are now much dearer (???) 3. I am now older (Sadly true :() There are many accidents in the district you live and you are not aware of this (just rubbish :utterrubbish:) and many other reasons.

I found these comments in a product review site

Question
Does (name removed) cover for non-accidental repairs like the ones that come up during a scheduled maintenance?
Hi XXXXX. Your normal mechanical repairs are not covered by the policy. The general exclusion from the PDS reads: We will not pay for loss, damage or legal liability caused directly or indirectly by: mechanical, electrical or electronic (including computer software) breakdown or failure; Thanks for asking a great question

My comment
Hi (name removed). As I read your reply to XXXXX, if my car computer software (ECU I think) malfunctioned and prevented my brakes working (EBC I think) and there was damage or legal liability as a consequence, the exclusion in your PDS would be triggered thereby making me totally liable for any loss. There are instances online and in forums where computer malfunctions have occurred causing damage because of brakes not working like they should and motors stalling in high speed traffic lanes. I will now have a close look at the cover offered by the insurer I renew with but in light of what you have raised, I may take 3rd party cover only. Once a Comprehensive Policy covered all damage and liability, that must now be a thing of the past.

It pays to read the fine print but in the past I have not. I will in the future as I recall posts here where a faulty computer has interfered with the proper operation of brakes and what about the young lass on a freeway in NSW who was killed when her ECU turned off the engine and big semi ran into the rear of her car.
Just thought I would mention this here for members who have assisted me in the past.
can you share what company. How much. ?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Dazz. I have tried RACQ and they are quite expensive, about $550 with Market Value and $800 excess. NRMA could be my choice providing their policy covers everything like Computer ans software failure.

That exclusion really concerns me.

TW2005 your request about the insurer who made the statement about the exclusion will have to be kept between me and YOUe. Dont want to get into trouble with the  Club Admin because of the new conditions I agreed to

Thanks cobbers I have quotes from many many other companies and it's getting quite confusing. Tomorrow I will try to do a comparison on an Excel page and post it here. I am told Shannons cover is good but expensive.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks for your concern TW2005. Never got to what the premium would be when I was looking for a quote from YOUe. For some reason they would not accept payment by Bill Pay or Bank Transfer, only by Direct Debit. Because of past bad experience with Direct Debit I will not give anyone this access to my funds so that's where the matter finished.  The comment I posted above was from another  page I read in Product Review

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Give Shannons a try, I'm paying $46 a month and $550 excess for $18600 agreed, I don't see anywhere in their small print that is says it doesn't cover ECU's and I'm rather confused how any insurance company could refuse that claim :confused: it's a part of the vehicle and if it causes a fault then you should be covered unless proven that you've tampered with it.

The other side of the story would be that if investigations prove the vehicles computer has caused an issue like brake failure then that might also reside with the vehicle manufacturer being liable under a seperate claim and repayable to your insurer in the event of a payout.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:33:45 by CraigB »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I forget what I agreed to.

I've looked at Budget direct.

And then AAMI which falls under suncorp umbrella as does bingle and shannons I think. I was online last week doing some research trying to work out y he best deal for mine.  Got a feeling around $40 /month. A lot default excess at $800 but can be lowered. Agreed value or market is something to watch for. 

Reasons I've had for premiums up  on other vehicles as they age.  Vehicle becomes affordable an popular with younger drivers. Vehicle model then has a higher risk profile due to  inexperienced drivers.  It appears your own record has less influence. Locality also seems important  how many ks how it's secured at night.

When we gad the magna insurance was getting high with age and that's what I was told.  It was cheaper to insure something new andcthe i30 was and still is substantially cheaper but I better keep an eye on it. 
They are getting very cheap and plentiful in the used market
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 20:32:20 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My car insurance excess is $450 I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything over $500. If the person who recently damaged my car hadn't left a note I would have been upset coming up with  $450. I would have been ropeable if I'd had to find the first $800.

I see where YOUe coming from Hornet..  :winker:

Can't say I'm a fan even though a fairly close relly has just started working there..  :eek:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My car insurance excess is $450 I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything over $500. If the person who recently damaged my car hadn't left a note I would have been upset coming up with  $450. I would have been ropeable if I'd had to find the first $800.
Being over 55 enables you for lower excess Dazz, $800 does seem extreme in Hornets case and not usually that high unless had previous claims with unprotected no claim bonus or poor driving history or even if under 25's are allowed to use the vehicle :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re excess

Normally if you lower the excess premium  will increase.

Have you ever weighted up the addition premium compared to the saving in excess.

May be worth it financially for a few $$/££ extra premium.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Does an ECU malfunction cause loss of brakes ?.

Surprised the car is legally able to be sold with such a potential fault if true.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks every for the comments. Well Shannons will be contacting me on Monday hope I can sought something out with them. I have read their PDS and they have acceptable cover. I am being hammered but @ 81 Insurers must consider me High Risk. I have informed all the many companies of my professional driving experience (heavy transport military and security vehicles, owned taxis in Brisbane, no accidents, traffic offenses, or claims since getting my license @ 17 . Dont mind saying I am not a bad bloke (wife might not agree) and good driver. A mate today told me his premium was $230, $400 excess and market value cover on his Toyota Corolla 12 month older than my i30. He travels under 5,000 k pa whereas I travel near 10,000 k pa, his car is petrol mine is CRDI, a difference that one insurer said meant higher insurance cost. I am confused and will not be bullied into a policy that does not suit me, I believe this industry purposely sets out to confuse people as part of their marketing strategy. 
I was wondering if the insurance industry inform each other when one starts gathering quotes for comparison.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland

Surprised the car is legally able to be sold with such a potential fault if true.
I recall reading somewhere where an ECU caused the brakes to perform badly, I believe it was to do with the anti skid protection in the computer. I dont know if that is correct but I can say, between me and Youe, such an event is clearly not covered by one insurer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was wondering if the insurance industry inform each other when one starts gathering quotes for comparison.

They may share between sister companies (as mentioned earlier, some big companies trade under several banners)  :cool:

As a 61 y/o with no recent significant claims or traffic infringements I pay around $500 for my 2017 PD SR with agreed value of $27,600 and a $450 excess.  Think we pay similar for Trish's 2014 Petrol Tourer with an agreed value (from memory) of $16,700 again with a $450 excess. We have excess free windscreen cover but no loan car. I reckon that is realistic.

I think my car is new for old for the first 2 years..

I recall reading somewhere where an ECU caused the brakes to perform badly, I believe it was to do with the anti skid protection in the computer. I dont know if that is correct but I can say, between me and Youe, such an event is clearly not covered by one insurer.

Between Youe and me I believe a certain company uses weird exclusions at times to offer a lower premium. "That" Company initially got me to switch from RACT by having a clause with an excess of $2000 if a falling tree damaged our house even though I told them no trees that large near our house and they could even see this from google earth.  :crazy1:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Being over 55 enables you for lower excess Dazz, $800 does seem extreme in Hornets case and not usually that high unless had previous claims with unprotected no claim bonus or poor driving history or even if under 25's are allowed to use the vehicle :undecided:
As I have said I have no driving or claims history that should make me a target for high excess and premium. I like the numbers Dazz mentioned he paid for his RACV policies. No offers I have to date are anywhere near his stated premiums. My wife just suggested we take out "Third Party, Theft and Fire Cover" and provide $10,000 for a used car should we have a writeoff or bad accident. This might be worth consideration.   

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Between Youe and me I believe a certain company uses weird exclusions at times to offer a lower premium. "That" Company initially got me to switch from RACT by having a clause with an excess of $2000 if a falling tree damaged our house even though I told them no trees that large near our house and they could even see this from google earth.
I recall reading in one of the policy documents that the Insurer would not cover any damage caused by falling trees. They are tricky people and I hope our conversation prompts our members to be extremely careful with the terms of their insurance cover, it's a minefield.

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
I have cgu through a broker. I am 24 and I pay $1210 for market value. My basic excess is 400 but because I am under 25 I have to pay an extra 500

When I went through cgu's calculator i got 1400$
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As I have said I have no driving or claims history that should make me a target for high excess and premium. I like the numbers Dazz mentioned he paid for his RACV policies. No offers I have to date are anywhere near his stated premiums. My wife just suggested we take out "Third Party, Theft and Fire Cover" and provide $10,000 for a used car should we have a writeoff or bad accident. This might be worth consideration.   

That sounds like a plan if you can get a big saving on premiums with a reliable insurer.  :cool:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Sorry for the lack of recent comment about progress with my insurance. Well after many many phone calls and email with numerous insurers, I informed my existing insurer I would purchase cover, with another company, for 3rd party property damage, fire and theft on my i30, put $10,000 in a bank account to cover my vehicle damage unless I had a satisfactory deal by today. The original renewal premium was then reduced by close to 50% (what I had requested) with an excess of $600. This was acceptable to me so I have paid the renewal on a policy that I have read and think I understand. I firmly believe an inquiry is necessary into the sales tactics (creating confusion in customers minds) and activities (price gouging) within the motor vehicle insurance industry in Australia. I could imagine many of us would accept what the insurers initially quote or throw in the towel after being confused by well trained sales staff. In future I will never pay any insurance policy unless I do my homework, get comparable quotes from many companies and check the terms of each policy offered. I suggest all our Members in Australia do likewise. So I can now forget about insurance for the next 12 months  :happydance: Thanks for the help Members have given to me.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Should have mentioned the acceptable terms for the renewal were. Premium $280. Excess $600. Agreed Value $10500. One additional driver my daughter. Drivers have no claims history, traffic infringements or license suspensions after driving for 65 and 39 years respectively.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sound's like a reasonable deal :goodjob: after all that research you can now rest for another year :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Use the actions next year, always haggle,  never just pay up .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Should have mentioned the acceptable terms for the renewal were. Premium $280. Excess $600. Agreed Value $10500. One additional driver my daughter. Drivers have no claims history, traffic infringements or license suspensions after driving for 65 and 39 years respectively.

Driving for 65 years! Far out! You must be nearly our oldest member!  :eek:

Well done by the way! Your daughter must be nearly as old as me! I've only been driving for 42 and a bit years...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal