i30 Owners Club

Weird start

Offline gabrielezamboni

• 2nd Gear

• VIC
Hey everybody’s noticed that my Nline every time that is cold and you starting it make a few vacuum noise and the idle moving a bit
This is just for the first 30 seconds that the idle are higher and after is all good
Just happen when leave the car overnight
Car has 7k and always had this
I’ll try to post a video as soon as I can
Cheers
  • 2020 hyundai I30 N Line manual polar white

Offline sub11z

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I also had similar rough idel problem on start up. I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and had a system update on start up, it seems fine today when starting up. I would check with your dealership to see if there is an update available.     
  • PD2 I30 SR Premium, MK6 Golf R, MY18 SQ5

Offline Big Jim

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland N.S.W
Me to at 12000 klm, you could hear it sucking in the air through the airbox and the revs rising and dropping for 1 minute on startup. Took it to the dealer to check it out but they couldn't fault it. After a month of it getting worse with backfiring through the airbox and popping out the exhaust I went back and left it over night to replicate a cold start. Turned up next morning for them to start it up and the car done its coughing and farting for the 1 minute start. Service manager asked to leave it for the day to make phone calls. Picked it up in the afternoon and was told they had done a software upgrade, I asked how he went making his calls to Hyundai and his reply was that the national service manager said it was unique to my car. Alas problem not solved, then went back to the dealership, who have been great in regards to it, left with them for a week hooking up to the flight data recorder which was showing it to running rich on the start. Long story short they changed coil packs with a car on the lot, didn't work, then took out the injectors with 3 of them nearly blocked up with carbon buildup. Injectors replaced. Organised to pickup the car at 8.30 in the morning to inspect cold start up with the service manager, who had a new nline as a comparison. Before we started the he went on to tell me that it is the fuel quality that we use here blah blah blah. Anyhow started mine and it did start a lot better, no fluctuating revs and popping through the exhaust. Then he started the new one with a sold sign on the windscreen for comparison and lo and behold it ran like a dog, I said to the service manager so much for his fuel theory and that the new owner of the car isn't going to be happy. Now at 24000 on the car now and starting to do it again, my theory is that with direct injection it is getting carbon build up and maybe Hyundai should start fitting oil catch cans to maybe rectify this problem
  • I30 n-line premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! That's interesting, I started to post a reply to Gabriele earlier saying if the software update didn't work I suspected it might be something to do with the injectors because there have been some issues with starting in the previous version of the same model ( the 1.6 T SR ) . I've been in and out of hospital over the last 2 weeks so never got as far as the post button.

Anyway, when the issue 1st reared its ugly head it was initially ignored by most service departments and Hyundai. it was worse than just a random rough cold start. It was often a very difficult semi-cold start or no start at all.

After a slow response by dealers and Hyundai to sort the problem they initially claimed a software update would fix it. This helped some a bit. Eventually most were fixed by replacing the injectors.

I think most of the more experienced long term members like myself suspect a bad batch of injectors with maybe slightly different tolerances. The reason being that it only affected maybe 10% at a very rough guess of i30 SR owners. I could never see if it was a software ( engine management ) issue, how it only affected some cars.

Don't think the "bad batch of injectors" was ever officially acknowledged by Hyundai.

If the SR/ N-line GDi engine requires a catch can to reduce carbon build up how come I did 66,000 kilometres over 28 months in my 2017 SR without a single cold/warm start or rough idle issue.  LOts of other SR and N-line owners have had similar experiences to me.

See threads like these for more details.

:link: 2017 i30sr starting problem

:link: 2018 PD 1.6T starting problem & injector issue

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the brand new N-Line also ran rough then it cant be carbon build up either, sounds more software related to me :undecided:

Offline gabrielezamboni

• 2nd Gear

• VIC
I don’t think is related to carbon build up on the valves as the car is just 7000 km and was doing that since new
I’m trying to get a good video to show the dealer and you guys what sounds like
Thanks
  • 2020 hyundai I30 N Line manual polar white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal