i30 Owners Club

Japanese Tsunami

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Anyone seen the helicopter footage(s) on our BBC website (can you guys overseas play it?)

Shocking devastation :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709850

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709847

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Anyone seen the helicopter footage(s) on our BBC website (can you guys overseas play it?)

Shocking devastation :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709850

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709847

It is on our news.' what is going on in the world 'It is not good, like you say great devastation.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was watching it this morning, sheer destruction on a scale you can't even begin to imagine.  Seeing the cars and buildings just being tossed aside and those poor sods trying to drive away from the oncoming wave but the road running parallel to the wave rather than away from it :scared:

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR
 JAPAN / RUSSIA / MARCUS IS. / N. MARIANAS / GUAM / WAKE IS. /
 TAIWAN / YAP / PHILIPPINES / MARSHALL IS. / BELAU / MIDWAY IS. /
 POHNPEI / CHUUK / KOSRAE / INDONESIA / PAPUA NEW GUINEA /
 NAURU / JOHNSTON IS. / SOLOMON IS. / KIRIBATI / HOWLAND-BAKER /
 HAWAII / TUVALU / PALMYRA IS. / VANUATU / TOKELAU / JARVIS IS. /
 WALLIS-FUTUNA / SAMOA / AMERICAN SAMOA / COOK ISLANDS / NIUE /
 AUSTRALIA / FIJI / NEW CALEDONIA / TONGA / MEXICO /
 KERMADEC IS / FR. POLYNESIA / NEW ZEALAND / PITCAIRN /
 GUATEMALA / EL SALVADOR / COSTA RICA / NICARAGUA / ANTARCTICA /
 PANAMA / HONDURAS / CHILE / ECUADOR / COLOMBIA / PERU

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Our news didn't mention all that many countries I have now changed channels, we just getting updates, things are not good It looks like Aus will be ok.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it may get as close as papua new guinea to Australia.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline marijan765

• 3rd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Trebisov

• Hyundai i30 1.4 T-GDi 103 kW
    • This is Slovakia.
We are also watching on TV this terrible tragedy here in Slovakia.It is something unbelievable what happens nowadays everywhere around the world.Take care of you guys in affected countries.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
For crying out loud Mother nature! It's not 2012 yet! Or is this just foreplay before the big one!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Regards

Daniel

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Just Mother Nature's way of reminding us who is really in charge of the planet!  :sweating: I just wish she was a little less enthusiastic.   :scared:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
More vid

Huge whirlpool created after Japan quake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709856
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
The Earth seems to be going through some form of realignment of it's crust. So it could be many years, perhaps 10-20 before it settles down again to some acceptable level. And it all seems to be taking place on the so called ring of fire.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The Earth seems to be going through some form of realignment of it's crust. So it could be many years, perhaps 10-20 before it settles down again to some acceptable level. And it all seems to be taking place on the so called ring of fire.

Lets hope San fancisco / Los angeles isn't any time soon.. :confused: (it's probably overdue)  :scared:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I found the link below on the Australian ABC News site. It really shows the total devastation of this tragic natural disaster.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks UM that really does bring it home..More total devastation than either Fire or Flood by the look of it  :confused: :'(

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have this information from a member of a surfing site I'm on. He's in Japan and keepin his spirits up with some "forum  time". This is a long post written in reply to a query from one of the other members and I found it eye opening stuff from someone right in the thick of things.
Hope you don't mind but it's heartrending and heartwarming stuff.

As I've mentioned, we've been pretty lucky. I can only really speak of our area (Hitachi). We are in northern Kanto pretty much on the border of Tohoku where the really big stuff happened. Our apartment is quite new and was unscathed except for all the pictures falling off, stuff falling out of cupboards etc. Places around me have mostly superficial damage, windows, roof tiles, retaining walls etc. The road in front of my place has been diverted because a huge slab of a 10 m high retaining wall has separated and could collapse. Around town, it's pretty much the same. some places are a mess, some havn't got a scratch. We had to Karate kick a mates front door down so he could get in and get his stuff. his building has split in half and I dare say it will be condemned.

No water at all from the taps, day 6 now I think and we have to walk a few k's to different points to get water, but you can only get as much as you can carry. So havn't had a shower since last Thursday morning. But we stay clean with about half a litre and some soap and a handtowel. Also we wipe ourselves down with 'oshi bori' which are little wet-wipes ubiquitous in Japanese eating places (got a whole bag of those from the museum).

Petrol is a problem, there comes rumours of a place opening and rationing 10 litres per car and the lines stretch for blocks, my orange light is on so I can't risk being stranded and my wifey's got about a third of a tank and we are trying to save that.

The Japanese people are amazing, there's very little pushing or shoving, the lines for food in convenience stores and supermarkets are out the door and down the street. There are no queue jumpers but I think if there were they would be set upon, so everyone is cool in that regard. But the lines are getting smaller anyway, because there is no food left. I don't really know what people are doing but we're kind of sharing around stuff. I gave the lady downstairs a tub of museum icecream for her 2 kids and she cried. It was hard for me not to cry. But don't worry, we're doing our best to hold on to what we have. We have rice, noodles, cabbage, some tinned fish, condiments, milk, cheese, some bread, some snacks so we're in pretty good shape.

Back to the people, when outside, people say g'day but as you could imagine it's pretty quiet now with this nuclear thing, but people are nice. You can see the strain on peoples faces but I think there is an optimism in a way because things are much worse 100 k's north. Speak to Tokyo friends and apart from train delays, life is quite normal there. Kind of sucks in a way though with the hysteria on tv about radiation levels rising in Tokyo, there's no mention of the people who live in between. And it's kind of annoying when all these foreign experts tell you that if you go ouutside, come in have a shower, wash your clothes. With what? Coke?

Sorry, off tangent. Trying to stay happy, but must admit, mood is up and down. Wifey has been a trooper. We are just staying indoors for now and reading, playing cards, she plays piano (love that, she's a classically trained F-level pianist, loves Chopin), meal time is a highlight and so is bed-time, a snuggle, nice and warm. After-shocks are a constant and you hear them coming. They just don't even rate now- and one is happening just as I type again. We've had about 3 this morning. It's a pain though when the mobile phone earthquake alarm goes off when sound asleep as the stupid thing usually fires away after the shock. Ironic in a way- it's like 'Yes, we know!!'.

As for the coast, I havn't been able to get close enough to see it. I'm only 500 metres from the ocean and I have a view from my apartment, but I can't see the beach. My closest surfing spot is about a 10 minute drive. Will be interested to see what that looks like. On the actual night after the quake, we did manage to look at a small beachfront road as I was driving to pick up the MIL from hospital where my wifes dad is convalescing. Drove down the coast road to beat the traffic and thought this is cool, empty. For good reason, the Tsunami had washed through and all the road was buckled and broken and there was debri everywhere. We managed to weave our way through it and grabbed O'kasan (mama). Of course wifey wouldn't let me drive home the same way. So, not sure how the coast is looking even though it's a stones throw away. Hanging for a surf though and can see some nice offshore lines from the window.

And, this is a kicker and maybe selfish to mention, I was scheduled to open my own business this Friday. Spent a small fortune on it and had it pretty much set up and ready to go. I'm going to try to open as I've got nothing else, but I'm not crying, I still think I'm pretty lucky, just really f*cking rotten timing.

Fielded calls from around the world yesterday, Hawaii, Indo, Hong Kong, Singapore, US and am stoked with the level of concern for us and offers of help. Also had a great drunken talk with my brother, he's a dude. He was telling me of some small warm water beachie tubes he was getting the other day at Narrowneck (we hail from the Main Beach area of the Goldy) told me he got his arse handed to him on a small back-hand drainer. Man I was so jealous but it was great to get my mind off things for awhile.

So, in closing, things are ok here. Not great but we're doing our best. The Japanese are amazing people and most have a sense that things will be ok.

Sorry it was long, but time is all I've got right now.

And with that, I'm off to find some water.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that Trevor...Again a real insight into how lucky we are over here....  Their plight is really harrowing and I feel will got a lot worse for many before it gets better.. Where do you start in situation like this?  :-\

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Kinda makes our gripes pretty insignificant..... :-[

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Narrated animation of March 11, 2011 Honshu tsunami propagation

Propagation of the March 11, 2011 Honshu tsunami and maximum amplitude plot were computed with the NOAA forecast method using MOST model with the tsunami source inferred from DART® data. From the NOAA Center for Tsunami Research, located at NOAA PMEL in Seattle, WA

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :scared: :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Try a say "Honshu tsunami propagation" 10 times real fast  :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal