i30 Owners Club

I got 3.9l/100km

Guest · 23 · 9361

Pip
I did a return trip from Melbourne to Wye River over the weekend. Wye River for those that don't know is on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria and is one of the most interesting drives apart from the tourist buses.

I drove at the speed limit as traffic allowed and the windy road does not particularly lend itself to economical driving with much gear changing required. Even so 3.9 was the final figure.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Good stuff Pip!

My only regret about my recent trip to Avalon/Geelong is that I again didn't get a chance to go along the Great Ocean road............

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's excellent pip.  :goodjob:  and on a very winding road a tail wind definitely didn't give you that figure.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Amazing result Pip  :o :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it
well done but you can do even better !
I have been using a poverchip from Germany now for the past 2 years

http://www.racechip.de/impressum.php?language=en

and normaly on the highway the 1,6 diesel uses 3,5 to 3,8 ltr. pr. 100 km.
If I drive like an oldie...maximum 100 km.h   the konsumption gets as high as 3,3 ltr. pr. 100 km.
 :)

Pip
I've nearly pressed the button several times on one of these or other but just cannot bring myself to do it. Honestly it sounds too good to be true. In my experience and applied logic it takes more fuel to produce more power. These things promise more power for less fuel.

I know, I know, everyone who has one says it's true.. but still I hesitate. :scared:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
3.9 is excellent. 3.5 is even better!

Makes my average of 6.2 look bad (though that is at 120 km/h and in a CW)

My CW only has 25k on it and I'm hoping that I will receive better economy at 30k like some are reporting.

I too have nearly pulled the trigger on those boxes a number of times.....but something keeps stopping me.

Mind you with Diesel approaching $1.50 if those results ring true even a drop to 4.2 with the box would result in the money being recouped in 5k even 1l/100 would recoup in 10k which is less than 6 months for me......

I think I will wait until 30k and see what the motor does.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
3.9L/100 is awesome! :goodjob:

I've yet to take my car on a run - I'm dying to though. At the moment, the light is coming on at around 870km with pure city driving. That is with a Racechip on it, using Caltex/Woolies Premium, and filling it right to the brim (only took just over 57L after 909km though! :D). That's still only around the 6L/100 mark, but it's only got 8k k's on it.

How many k's do you have on your car Pip? I'm hoping mine continues to improve with age.

Cheers,

GM

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Seems your crdi with great fuel economy. Mine crdi 4AT usually got 8.5L/100km pure city driving :faint:. Recently got Racechip on, will see if there's any difference.

Pip
3.9L/100 is awesome! :goodjob:

How many k's do you have on your car Pip? I'm hoping mine continues to improve with age.
38,000Km.  I might say, not only the car must improve with age but also the driver. You will not achieve a figure like this by just waiting and hoping...  :rolleyes: I used all my experience to get to this number and even so, with little change in conditions, the current economy (the trip computer has not been reset since I posted the 3.9 figure) now shows a steady 4.6 and has done for weeks.

Without reseting it it's very unlikely to change much if at all but the point I'm making is that to obtain very low numbers requires more than luck.

Good luck and be sure to skite about how well you do. :goodjob:

I suspect few cars lend themselves to such rewarding results when trying an ecomomy run. All of them probably (manual) diesel.

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it
Mine has 48.500 km.
I drove to Copehagen and home again last week. Some 580 km. Flat freeway on a sunny day with no wind at all very little traffic and constant speed of 100 km.h .........hold your breath ! 
The computer reads 2,9 Ltr !    2,9 Ltr !     2,9 Ltr !
For fun I sometimes try to outscore my last records but this one I believe Will stand for ever.
Now I am trying to find a economy driving concurrence here in Denmark, it will be fun  :goodjob:

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it
I forgot to mention that I just have had new tires Michelin energy saver, but calm driving, my chiptuning and perfect weathercondition does the work. That is not a normal reading on the computer. But what a car  :razz:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
3.9 L/100 km is equal to 72 mpg. This is 16% better than the best combined figure shown in the Hyundai brochure - a goverment figure based on ideal running conditions - not real life. I may be an old cynic - but I honestly doubt that this was other than a fluke or malfunction of your computer.

I struggle to get better than 5.4 L/100km or 54 mpg on motorway driving in hot weather with no A/C averaging 60 mph no matter how carefully I drive my 1.6 crdi.

What is your actual consumption on an accurate brim to brim calculation?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
3.9 L/100 km is equal to 72 mpg. This is 16% better than the best combined figure shown in the Hyundai brochure - a goverment figure based on ideal running conditions - not real life. I may be an old cynic - but I honestly doubt that this was other than a fluke or malfunction of your computer.

I struggle to get better than 5.4 L/100km or 54 mpg on motorway driving in hot weather with no A/C averaging 60 mph no matter how carefully I drive my 1.6 crdi.

What is your actual consumption on an accurate brim to brim calculation?

I've also managed to get similar figures as pip so I don't believe it's a malfunction....more a case of ideal conditions and also perhaps of having just reset the trip computer.
Once i've got on to more real world roads with corners and hills, my average edges upward. Even with less than idea conditions where I live, I'm still getting an average of 4.6l/100k.

BTW, here in OZ, the government figures of 4.7l/100k are a combination of urban & extra, whatever that may mean..lol. I assume it's city and highway/freeway/country driving.....

As can be seen below, 3.9 isn't so far away from the "extra" figure quoted. Point 2 of a litre could very well be just the inaccuracy of the trip computer..... :wink:

Fuel Consumption
      L/100km
Comb Urban Extra

4.7     5.7     4.1

Pip
3.9 L/100 km is equal to 72 mpg... 
72 mpg? I didn't bother with the conversion but that is a lot! I had a 1.6 litre petrol engined car back in the '60s and I remember getting around 25 mpg.
.. I may be an old cynic - but I honestly doubt that this was other than a fluke or malfunction of your computer.
I don't think it's an error... others here are also getting excellent economy. A fluke?  Maybe but remember though, this was a one-off where I really did try to get it to a low figure and the prevailing conditions and the stars may have aligned. Oh and yes I'm sure you are an old cynic.  :whistler:
.. What is your actual consumption on an accurate brim to brim calculation?
Dunno really but I get about 1200Km between fills and can fit about 55 litres when real empty. My calculation for this comes to 4.58l/100Km which correlates closely with my long term computer averages which stabilise on 4.6.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well know way of me knowing trip average as i do not have a trip computer, but have managed 1,300k from a full tank once when i tried. & also did a trip syd to melb down the coast road covered 1,040k got 44L to full drove around melb then returned to syd up the hwy on same tank.
the thing i like is if you really need to cover a long distance on one tank you can if you try. but if you drive fast like 120kph you won't see these low fuel figures still 5L/100k is easy. my friend has a ford Focus 2.0L TURBO DIESEL 6 SPEED MANUAL best they see is 5.5L/100k and has same size fuel tank but furthest they go on the one tank is 900k  they have a trip computer too.
i think Bob & Thumper both did 1,400k on the one tank of fuel a few years back. i don't think i could do that but who knows, guess if you had a 5L tank in the boot you could try, just i would never purposely run out of diesel. when light comes on i fill soon after.

well done Pip

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
well FYI, we did the Easter run up to Ballina and back and had an average of 50.4 MPG for the crdi CW auto, which included some 150Km running around at the end of the trip.

Have the Dash Command set up now, but it was not operational for the trip, more is the pity, just ran out of time. 

Still need to play a bit with the PID's etc and feel my way around its features.  More as it comes to hand.

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Pip well done, but to settle this in a proper scientific way, you are going to have to repeat the result you achieved, but not necessarily exactly 3.9l, I would say within 5% would suffice, so between 3.7 and 4.1

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
well FYI, we did the Easter run up to Ballina and back and had an average of 50.4 MPG for the crdi CW auto, which

According to this converter

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

That equates to 5.6 LPH (Great result for a CW Auto) considering the CW is a bit heavier too.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
well FYI, we did the Easter run up to Ballina and back and had an average of 50.4 MPG for the crdi CW auto, which included some 150Km running around at the end of the trip.

Have the Dash Command set up now, but it was not operational for the trip, more is the pity, just ran out of time. 

Still need to play a bit with the PID's etc and feel my way around its features.  More as it comes to hand.

Elle B

How did you calculate the fuel consumption? - this is a phenominal result for the i30 auto version. There are people with your model that will find it incredible because they struggle to get 40 mpg even on long runs.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
HI Alan, Thanks for the query..Here are the figures.

i30 CW auto.. original Kumho tyres ....inflation 34/32 cold    .... 36667 Km on the clock....

Tank filled to brimming each fill. Using BP fuel

Trip to Ballina 871.5Km (541.26 miles)  fuel 46.08L (10.1 gal) = Avg of 53.59MPG

Return trip plus run around 1003Km (622.86 miles) Fuel 56.7L = Avg 48.97MPG

Total trip average =51.28 MPG

I found that I have a 0.15 Km /5 KM odometer variation, using a 5Km freeway check. Mine is reading high, so I am doing 30 Km /1000 over the actual distances.

So the actual total distance covered was 1874.5 Km x 0.15 =1818 KM / 22.57L = 50.02MPG

BTW, I still think the Auto is a pain!! Oh for a 5 speed manual from Europe !!  :rofl:

I have a Spider Tune box which was fitted the day before leaving, so is at factory settings only.

But on those figures I am happy.

Cheers

Elle B

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal