i30 Owners Club

Gearbox/clutch

Npmr · 12 · 3472

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Another query from a slightly nervous new owner! I have searched for this problem but not really found anything relevant so would appreciate the views of knowledgeable forum members.

I have only driven 400 miles from new in my i30 (1.4l petrol manual) I have struggled to shift the gear stick into 1st gear when stationary a couple of times at junctions, meeting strong resistance despite engaging the clutch. I have then had to put the car into neutral to successfully engage 1st gear.

The car’s handbook refers to this procedure if there is difficulty with engaging reverse gear  or first gear so I am assuming that it is already a known issue.

Have any other forum members encountered this issue and if so have you had anything repaired or changed on the car to sort it out?  Could it improve over time as the car is run in?

Thanks again for your advice.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I had the same problem with mine in first and second gear but eased with use.  I personally would give it a bit more time to bed in, as long as it aint crunching.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It will improve over time, try maintaining a little forward pressure on the stick and lifting the clutch pedal a bit, there will be a point when the synchro will meet up and she will slide in easily (be ready to dip the clutch again though :faint: )
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

If you can persevere until 1000 miles as the dealers seem to suggest this is a mileage to allow the bits and bobs to bed in but if you are still not happy take it back to the dealer to have a look at it.

The cables may need slight adjustment or even a change of gearbox oil to a lighter oil as the cooler weather will compound the issue until the engine/oil warms up.

You would have thought that by now this would be an issue of the past
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As above - the way the gears are linked to the gearknob by cable probably means they are issued tightly strung from the factory. I know my 1st/2nd selection was tough to start with, but it does ease up.

Funnily enough, at my latest service the dealership must have decided my gear selection was too easy, so they tightened it all up, despite denying it :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It'll improve as it gets better......  :rofl: :happydance:

The Lancashire Lad

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It'll improve as it gets better....

.. and as it gets older too :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is interesting as the latest batch of I30's over here (Korean Made) have absolutely brilliant gear changes in every gear .. (Trish's 5 speed CW -MY11 model) is amazing... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I had the same problem when i had 2nd gear and I needed to engage 1st.

The gears behaved better after some time. After 6000km problem dissapeared.

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks to all for your comments and advice which generally suggests the problem I am having is not unusual and should ease over time.

I have driven 200 miles since my initial post and generally the gearbox has felt ok. I have had one incident when I have not been able to get into first without reengaging neutral and 3 or 4 stiff changes where I have had to push the gear stick firmly into first.

I will see how it goes for the next few hundred miles to see if the gearbox 'smooths out' any more.  I don't think it would be acceptable for a new car to have this problem over the longer term.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
You never mentioned what types of roads you mainly drive on, so if you are driving on roads that do not require a lot of gear changes, the gearbox will probably take a lot longer to bed in  ;)

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
I drive a fairly mixed route about 50 miles town and country, hill and dale each day. The car is good fun to drive on this route barring the worry about not being able to get into first gear every now and again! A fair amount of stop/starts and gear changing.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal