i30 Owners Club

Steering wheel "clunk" when turning slightly

pneill · 12 · 17788

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
I know this is a super old post, but rather than start a new thread, though I'd tag onto this one.

I've just bought a 2nd hand I30 crdi, nothing wrong with it... well except one concern, when sitting idle (running or turned off) if you move the steering wheel a quarter turn left or right there is this real obvious clunk sound, turn the wheel further and its a normal feeling from the steering wheel again.

Anyone know what could possibly cause this only in the first quarter or less turn of the steering ?

Still has 2 yrs of the hyundai warranty and only done 54000km (seems like it used to be owned by the gosford RTA)....  :question:

thanks Paul

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Paul..  :D

Can't say I am aware of that issue.. didn't have any noise in the steering of my previous CRDi after 68,000 kms or in the wife's new CW..If no-one comes up with an explanation might be best to go to the dealer for a once over... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Paul. Unless I'm mistaken that's a new one on this forum.

And as we can't be sure it's the same steering rack issue this topic* is about, you're better off with your own thread :D (we do appreciate that you've searched for the problem :goodjob:)

:welcome:

*split from another topic
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Welcome Paul :)
Is it just a sound or a relatively strong vibration from the steering wheel? It's happening only when the car is still? Are brakes /handbrake on?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
In Poland, I heard about problem with "clunk" in steering column. Hyundaii service says that is factory defect described in TBS http://hyundaiserviceman.com/docs/tsb/i30/HFE08-61-P020-FDHD.zip. However after repair it happens that the problem returns (but doesn't threaten safety).

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

In my case was a "crack-crack-crack..." rather than a "clunk".
But you're right, the noise returned after replacing the steering column, only this time is different :confused:

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Hi All

--> Babis_xo - it seems to just be the sound, very odd, the most obvious time I hear it is when Im manovuring the call into the garage so a slight turn left and right, so I dont hit the side mirrors.
(can be just creeping forward with no brakes or handbrake, or standing on the brakes and moving the steering wheel side to side...

Yeah Im not sure its a safety concern just an oddity, I've booked it in and we shall see what they say)

thanks all.

Paul

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
But you're right, the noise returned after replacing the steering column, only this time is different :confused:

Maybe that sounds like the problem with the little black plastic cog that is the subject of a TSB.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Maybe that sounds like the problem with the little black plastic cog that is the subject of a TSB.

They weren't aware of any TSB so they replaced the whole steering column with a new one (i was supervising) and i didn't argue on this. Unfortunately, after a couple of months the noise returns little by little; is it possible, the new steering columns not to have the improved part? :confused:

BTW, there is a Kia Ceed TSB for replacing the steering column & EPS unit
assembly. Symptoms are several subjects (e.g. knocking noise, poor performance, warning light on). This could explain a variety of symptoms that has been reported here. Maybe Hyundai and Kia should find a way to co-operate on after-sales too 'cause i'm kinda confused...

-->Paul: if it is a similar problem, you can hear it clearly coming from inside the cabin (on the first place, i thought that the noise was coming from the steering wheel itself).

Pip
There is a universal joint connecting the uppper and lower sections of the steering column. This UJ is a suspect. Someone reported here that replacement fixes the clicking noise.

I have this noise but have had no luck convincing two separate dealers that it is a defect.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
I was advised it's the steering nuckles on 2009 and prior models, can be replaced with updated part under warranty as mine is now, haven't even got the car yet lol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal