i30 Owners Club

Radio is R/S on AM.

Gwandad · 13 · 3350

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
While I realise most people use their own canned music (???) or use FM, my wife's favourite station is 1377 on AM in Melbourne. Our 5 day old i30 cw slx has dreadful reception only on AM. It's mostly static. FM is fine. I have reported it to the dealer, who will get back to me tomorrow. I'm just curious as to whether it's a universal problem or not. Has anyone else had this problem, please?

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I listen to Radio National or ABC local on AM every day and have no problems with reception up to 100km away from transmitter.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interesting issue.

Here in the UK there's not much to interest me on AM, apart from Test Cricket commentary. However, on the odd occasion when there's a match on while I'm driving home from work, I switch to AM just to see if my problem persists. Similarly to yours, I mostly get static-cum-voice until I slam the palm of my hand on the dash above the radio; that cures it for a second or two, then it's back to the unlistenable noise.

My plan is to remove the fascia [again] and ensure everything's fastened in tightly.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I listen to 612 ABC on occasions on the commute between Brisbane and the Gold Coast without incident.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Gwandad, There was a complaint on here a while back along these lines and some suggestion that the AM stations were winding down the strength of their signal as digital radio is introduced.
My enquiries at the time indicated there was no such action as digital radio is not only still in its infancy in this country but there are no firm dates when AM  will be switched off.
I listen to 4KQ and 4BH out of Brisbane even up here on the Sunny Coast. There is some static at times but not enough to be an issue and they are fine whenever I'm in Brisbane.
I think your dealer needs to fix it. (new unit).
Please keep us posted.

Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i can remember another member reporting the same  problem with am on their radio,but i cant remember who it was ,or the country the member was in.  :disapp: hopefully someone else will remember who it was.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i can remember another member reporting the same  problem with am on their radio,but i cant remember who it was ,or the country the member was in.  :disapp: hopefully someone else will remember who it was.  :idea:

It was an Aussie Steve, which is why I did some research. He may even have been in Brisbane.

Edit. Here 'tis........  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7389.msg88083#msg88083
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

It was an Aussie Steve, which is why I did some research. He may even have been in Brisbane.

Edit. Here 'tis........  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7389.msg88083#msg88083
Trev,you've made my day with that find.  :mrgreen: :goodjob: i knew i was rite. [this time around]  :whistler: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
In reply to Gwandad's post. I had the same problem with AM reception and it is covered in the link surferdude found. The problem was solved by removing the front fascia panel, pulling the radio out and re seating all the connectors in the rear of the radio. None were obviously loose when this was done, but since it was done, I've had no more problems with AM reception.

Hope that helps Gwandad
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
In reply to Gwandad's post. I had the same problem with AM reception and it is covered in the link surferdude found. The problem was solved by removing the front fascia panel, pulling the radio out and re seating all the connectors in the rear of the radio. None were obviously loose when this was done, but since it was done, I've had no more problems with AM reception.

Hope that helps Gwandad

That's what I aim to achieve, using a very similar - nay the exact same - scientific method :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry for the delay. The dealer said they replaced it. The radio is now fine, but the clock doesn't work. It is due for it's 1000 km service at the end of next week, so I'll give them another try then. From what you blokes are saying, it's probably a connector problem. I'm a bit concerned about getting my regular services done there even though they extend the warranty & roadside assist if I do. I spent my working life in a service industry & we had to be bloody near perfect (read walk on water sometimes). There people aren't a serviceman's bootlace. Firstly they hand over a brand new car without checking that everything worked. Secondlythey handed it back without a proper check & left dirty hand prints all around on the dash, and still didn't check everything worked. While I was in the waiting room the service  (I use the term loosely) manager came in to tell the bloke next to me that he couldn't get his vehicle, a Kia Carnival, back until tomorrow because it needed both front disks replaced as well as the totally worn out pads. He was a very unhappy citizen as he had only recently had a major service done & felt, as I do, that they should certainly have picked it up then, before a major failure. How does everyone else find dealer service?

Pip
.. How does everyone else find dealer service?

They all appear to be as different as those of us here. I find no surprise there, just keep looking until you find one you like. I'm on my third... so far so good with the latest one. :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Being in the second half of the century (age-wise) and not the first, I also listen to AM radio and it is very average at best.
It's ok sometimes but drops out easily.
I've wondered whether replacing the stubby antenna on the roof with a good quality aerial  might help but have never followed up on it.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal