i30 Owners Club

Oil Filter change - first time, help!

CHB · 22 · 16586

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Hi guys,

Need help! I'm trying to change my oil for the first time ever on any car and am having issues!

I'm pretty sure I've found the oil filter which is located at the front just behind the radiator. The issue i'm having is that I can't bloody remove the plastic cap! I'll attach the photo, let me know if that isn't the oil filter location. Basically there are two clip things, what am I meant to do? press and turn? press and lift up?? One side has broken as well! argh.. I've tried both methods but won't seem to do anything! If i know the definite motion I'll try harder on that

frustrating  :wacko:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/oilfilter.jpg

help?? anyone?  :'(

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi CHB,
Yes, that is the oil filter housing. There is an element inside that needs to be replaced. The clips serve no purpose on the Australian model but perhaps allow a module to be mounted to it in other models. You can break the other one off if you like.

You need to place the appropriately-sized socket (from memory it is a 27mm) over the bolt-like protrusion on the top of this cover and undo it as you would with a bolt. It looks like it is made of a delicate material but is obviously up to the task to be able to be undone and done up for oil filter change after oil filter change.

You are on the right track!!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:00:40 by Paolo5 »

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Paulo5!

Bought the tool today and managed to get it open! I couldn't find where the rings/seals go that comes with the new filter though. When I pulled out the old one there was no rings that I could see so currently have gone without!

Hopefully no issue with it

Cheers

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Paulo5!

Bought the tool today and managed to get it open! I couldn't find where the rings/seals go that comes with the new filter though. When I pulled out the old one there was no rings that I could see so currently have gone without!

Hopefully no issue with it

Cheers

Not sure about that. Any element type oil filter I've had any experience with (not diesel), had a seal.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Pip
I expect the original seals remained inside the canister and these are now reused. If so unlikely to be any problem so long as the seal was not damaged. You would not want the filter to be breached by a faulty seal.

Just a guess though.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi CHB.
I have just found this thread again.

When you said that:-
"You couldn't find where the rings/seals go that comes with the new filter though. When I pulled out the old one there was no rings that I could see so currently have gone without!

Hopefully no issue with it"

The lid and attached shaft (The part that you removed with the large socket) both have a location for an o-ring.

The large o-ring in the oil filter kit replaces the one that is situated above the thread (just under the cap/lid itself). Its purpose is to seal between the oil filter cover and the part of the engine that it screws into.

The small o-ring is located on the shaft that the oil filter cartridge slips onto.

If the top/large o-ring is not sealing properly then your engine will have an oil leak and it will be obvious to you by looking on the garage floor.

If the bottom/small o-ring isn't sealing properly, then the oil filter will not be filtering properly...but you won't have an external oil leak.

If in doubt about having re-used the old ones, it would be a simple matter to remove the oil filter cap again and install the new o-rings.
Just make sure that you remove the old ones with an object that isn't too sharp (watch fingers)...a matchstick that is tapered at the end is a good tool for this job.
Also place a drop of oil onto each o-ring just before replacing the cap/shaft. This is to help the o-ring slip into its resting place.

All the best,
Paolo
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:56:46 by Paolo5 »

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hope the previous entry made sense. Like in many situations, a picture would be very handy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:31:34 by Paolo5 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It was an excellent post thanks Paolo :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Steve Roe
Here's a link to what I did yesterday, photo's comments etc.
Hope you can access it. Copy and paste it into your web address bar

https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/i30-filter-and-oil-change

Regards
Steve

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow ... that was a great post too Steve   :judges: (no need to copy and paste to web address bar..)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
great instructions.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Needs to go in the "How to" section :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you look closely at Steve's photo 5 and photo 6 here, you can see the 2 o-rings...the small one on the pointy end and the large one just at the top of the threaded end.

Great pictures that make it all obvious. Well done!

After 5 litres of oil have been put in,  run the engine for a few minutes and then switch off...let the oil return to the sump and check after 10 minutes or so.

I have always found that 5 litres is all you will need for the refill. If you put in the 5.3 litres that is recommended, you will have 300mls of overfill.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:39:00 by Paolo5 »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have always found that 5 litres is all you will need for the refill. If you put in the 5.3 litres that is recommended, you will have 300mls of overfill.

Yep, when I had my 15,000k service, they only used 5 litres....even though I supplied 6, just in case.

I suspect Alanho may have got charged for .3 of a litre of oil that they probably didn't actually use on his i30's first service.
See: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11099.msg123618#msg123618

Steve Roe
I've modified the procedure a bit, more photos, more explanation, added filter comparison between old and new, added my thoughts on the volume of oil required for a refill and included pricing for filter and oil in Australia.

Shambles, I believe the oil volume would be worth opening as a new subject. "Oil change volume" who uses 5 litres, who uses 5.3 litres, what did the service centre charge them for. Anyone going in for a service - pull the dipstick out and see where the oil level is and see what colour the oil is. What did they charge you for? What oil did they use, get them to show you the empty bottle.

Anyone going for a service - Tell them when you drop it off you want to see the old filters when you come to pick the car up, tell them you'll be checking the dipstick too. Don't trust them. If there honest then this shouldn't be a problem, if there not, then they will be making sure that your car is the one car that gets serviced correctly today. My dad picked his car (diesel Peugeot 308) up from a Peugeot Service Center in the UK, drove 3 miles back home and checked the dip stick, it was black oil. The oil hadn't been changed - They said it would go black in the 3 kms it took him to get home! (You can see on my photo of my dipstick after 2 kms the oil is a nice honey colour) Never again, he does his own service on his new car and has voided his warranty by doing this.

More in-depth service work to come.

Service - Give it a go yourselves guy's, it's not hard.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Really appreciate all your efforts Steve... We have some great new Members... :happydance:

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
you guys are bloody brilliant!! :)

so far I haven't had/seen any issues with my botched attempt.. but now I know what to do next time around  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's the brilliance of this forum.  :mrgreen: :goodjob2: :goodjob: :judges:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline BrightonSA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I've modified the procedure a bit, more photos, more explanation, added filter comparison between old and new, added my thoughts on the volume of oil required for a refill and included pricing for filter and oil in Australia.

Shambles, I believe the oil volume would be worth opening as a new subject. "Oil change volume" who uses 5 litres, who uses 5.3 litres, what did the service centre charge them for. Anyone going in for a service - pull the dipstick out and see where the oil level is and see what colour the oil is. What did they charge you for? What oil did they use, get them to show you the empty bottle.

Anyone going for a service - Tell them when you drop it off you want to see the old filters when you come to pick the car up, tell them you'll be checking the dipstick too. Don't trust them. If there honest then this shouldn't be a problem, if there not, then they will be making sure that your car is the one car that gets serviced correctly today. My dad picked his car (diesel Peugeot 308) up from a Peugeot Service Center in the UK, drove 3 miles back home and checked the dip stick, it was black oil. The oil hadn't been changed - They said it would go black in the 3 kms it took him to get home! (You can see on my photo of my dipstick after 2 kms the oil is a nice honey colour) Never again, he does his own service on his new car and has voided his warranty by doing this.

More in-depth service work to come.

Service - Give it a go yourselves guy's, it's not hard.

Hi

Is it not true even new oil is black for diesel engine?

Your site is very informative.  I still have one more year warranty to go.  After that, I will change my own oil & you website will be very useful.

BrightonSA
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes it is quite true. Black oil is caused by the design of the diesel engine. It is forced to swallow some of it's own exhaust gas, which contains black carbon soot. This is an anti pollution measure as diesel's produce nitrous oxide gas if the combustion temperature is too high in the engine. Swallowing exhaust gas stops the production of the gas, but does dirty your oil unfortunately.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal