i30 Owners Club

45,000KM 2009 CRDi - Purge necessary?

kimmie · 3 · 2016

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi,

I am new here... just recently purchased a 2009 CRDi SLX. Almost 10 years ago, I used to own a Turbo Diesel car overseas, and I used to 'purge' the engine fuel system using 'LIQUI MOLY DIESEL PURGE'.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my i30, however, someone told me that for newer Diesel car like my i30, purging is not recommended/necessary.

Anyone can shed a light on this? Would be great to provide some guidance too - if any.

Thanks.
  • MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm no expert in this area, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :mrgreen: What is it you expect to "purge" exactly. The i30 has of course a diesel filter that if replaced at the correct intervals, will protect your car adequately.

Water in diesel is not a common problem, but still possible. The fuel filter has a water float built in and if water collects, the float will light a warning on your dash. If this happens do not ignore it as water will eventually enter the motor and can destroy it.

The modern Common Rail Diesel, which ours are, operate at significantly higher pressures than older diesel motors and generally, any additives to fuel, tend to reduce lubrication at the diesel pump and injectors which could have bad consequences over time. :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I did not do it for fuel system, but did purge the engine oil system at 40K service per dealer's recommendation. It's not mandatory, and I did not feel any obvious improvement for the car.  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal