45,000KM Service

kimmie · 18 · 9282

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all,

I am a n00b so please be gentle :-)

Just bought a second-hand i30 CRDi. It has done 44,000KM, so the next service 45,000KM is due soon. The previous owner serviced his first 1,500KM in an authorised Hyundai dealer, and the following two services, 15,000KM and 30,000KM was done in a non-Hyundai service centres. I understand that Hyundai doesn't require an 'authorised service centre' service to maintain their five-year unlimited KM warranty, so I am planning to take my car to a non-authorised service centre too, mainly to save some money. An authorised Hyundai dealer quoted me $380.00 for a 45,000KM service, which I found a bit dear.

Anyone can suggest a good/honest/reliable non-authorised service centre for my i30? I live in Melbourne's Eastern Suburb, so would prefer somewhere close.

Thanks all.
  • MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hello,

I am desperately need help on this matter. I rang three different authorised Hyundai Service Centre (HSC) and asked a quote for servicing my CRDi 45,000KM. These are their quotations:

HSC A : $380.00
HSC B : $429.00
HSC C : $380.00

I understand that I can buy the parts needed from internet and have the HSC installed them for me. So I found out that I will need Oil and Oil Filter and Cabin Filter. The oil I can get from SCA or AutoBan for around $75.00, while the oil filter I can get from Hyspares ($29.00 shipped) and the cabin filter from eBay UK for around $30.00. So total parts cost is approximately $140ish.

So I rang HSC C again (because they are the closest) and ask the bloke how much it will cost me if I bringnmy own parts and have them install them for me. The guy said, "we can install your parts for $300.00". I felt cheated and fooled.

I don't really want to bring my i30 to my usual mechanic and he wouldn't have an idea how to install the cabin air filter (it looks complicated - found the link of someone providing a step by step guidance of it).

I am not flush with cash so I can not really afford paying $380.00 just for servicing. So please, if any kind sould willing to share their HSC whom honest enough to quote a pure labour fee to install the parts, I would be extremely grateful. Even a non HSC mechanic that has experience with servicing i30 - please feel free to recommmend them for me.

I live in Melbourne's Eastern Suburb, close to Lilydale.

thanks you

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Kimmie

Unfortunately I can't help with a recommended dealer as we are in Tassie and have a friend who look after us with labour costs (we supply our own parts)

It is annoying though when dealers try to discourage you from supplying your own parts by jacking up the labour costs (they don't like losing their margin on the oil and filters etc...) :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Kimmie

Unfortunately I can't help with a recommended dealer as we are in Tassie and have a friend who look after us with labour costs (we supply our own parts)

It is annoying though when dealers try to discourage you from supplying your own parts by jacking up the labour costs (they don't like losing their margin on the oil and filters etc...) :fum:

Hi Dazzler,

Thanks for your reply and even more, for acknowledging and sharing the same feeling I felt from HSC C - clearly they tried to discourage me for bringing my own parts.

I hope someone in Metro Melbourne area would help me. Thanks again., appreciate your time spent in replying.

Pip
I didn't reply to your first request (sorry!) because I assumed you were much further out.

Makin & Luby in West Heidelberg are not too far a stretch from you and do a decent job at a fair price. You would have to contact them for a quote but I've had my last two services done by them and all I've supplied has been oil. I've been happy with the price and the service and I'm car savvy and (very) critical.  :goodjob2:

Forget the cabin filter, not needed (unless you are getting foul smells), just tell them and they will leave it out. I'm still running the original after four years and the air is perfectly sweet. That should save a few bob. Take your own oil and filter(s) if you wish but I don't think it saves that much unless you buy at a good price ahead of time; maybe next time.

If you do go there (or anywhere else), arrange when you book to be there early and make sure they know you are going to wait (assuming you will). Should only take an hour or so.

If you don't want the tyres rotated, say so, they seem to do it without asking (probably my only complaint). If you do get/want a rotation I suggest you have the spare (or best) put on the passenger-side front. It gets extra wear from roundabouts.

Good luck!

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Pip,

Please do not say sorry. I am extremely grateful with your reply and explanation. Really useful for a n00b like me. Thanks again.

I will definitely give them a ring tomorrow. Would you mind if I quote you as a referee?

I also love you being a car savvy and critical - as this will add more strength to your recommendation. If you are happy with them, then they must be very good then!  :happydance:

Cheers

Ben

I didn't reply to your first request (sorry!) because I assumed you were much further out.

Makin & Luby in West Heidelberg are not too far a stretch from you and do a decent job at a fair price. You would have to contact them for a quote but I've had my last two services done by them and all I've supplied has been oil. I've been happy with the price and the service and I'm car savvy and (very) critical.  :goodjob2:

Forget the cabin filter, not needed (unless you are getting foul smells), just tell them and they will leave it out. I'm still running the original after four years and the air is perfectly sweet. That should save a few bob. Take your own oil and filter(s) if you wish but I don't think it saves that much unless you buy at a good price ahead of time; maybe next time.

If you do go there (or anywhere else), arrange when you book to be there early and make sure they know you are going to wait (assuming you will). Should only take an hour or so.

If you don't want the tyres rotated, say so, they seem to do it without asking (probably my only complaint). If you do get/want a rotation I suggest you have the spare (or best) put on the passenger-side front. It gets extra wear from roundabouts.

Good luck!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ben, the radiator should be getting drained and fresh fluid whacked in at the 45,000k service so be sure that is included when you have your car serviced. I supplied my own coolant which I got on special at Supercheap....

My dealer charged me around $190 for the 45,000k service with me supplying oil, oil filter and coolant. Admittedly I didn't have the air filter changed as I run a K&N filter so that would've saved a whisker on labour.....

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hey Rusty,

Thanks for that... yep I got a quotation of $192 from Hyundai Makin and Luby Heidelberg - which I have agreed. The guy mentioned about the coolant thing too.

I will be getting the parts from the link you've given me last week, and oil from Super Cheap Auto. Any idea how much oil needed? is 5litre enough? Please also suggest a coolant (brand/type) to get... thanks Rusty

Ben

Ben, the radiator should be getting drained and fresh fluid whacked in at the 45,000k service so be sure that is included when you have your car serviced. I supplied my own coolant which I got on special at Supercheap....

My dealer charged me around $190 for the 45,000k service with me supplying oil, oil filter and coolant. Admittedly I didn't have the air filter changed as I run a K&N filter so that would've saved a whisker on labour.....

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Rusty,

Just rang the garage again, asking about the type of coolant - he said I should only be using a genuine Hyundai radiator coolant as another brand will turn into jelly inside the radiator - and that will void the warranty.

hmmm...? what do you think?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi Rusty,

Just rang the garage again, asking about the type of coolant - he said I should only be using a genuine Hyundai radiator coolant as another brand will turn into jelly inside the radiator - and that will void the warranty.

I think he's talking through his backside.... :lol:

As long as you use the correct coolant you won't have a problem.
I used this one but there are plenty of other brands out there...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Any idea how much oil needed? is 5litre enough?

You'd probably get away with 5 litres but if you can stretch your budget a little bit more, I'd grab an extra litre bottle just in case as technically the sump holds 5.3 litres.
When I had my 15,000k service done they only used 5 litres even though I supplied the extra, but with the following services they've added the extra 300ml........

Pip
Kimmie, if you are going to supply oil make sure you supply the correct oil or they won't use it (or at least I would hope so).

There is lots of discussion about oil suitable for a diesel in the FLUIDS topic. Don't get anything thicker than w40 and make sure it conforms to ACEA B4. You don't want ACEA Cx nor B5.

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
LOL... I thought so too... am not a mechanic in any way - but at least I have been driving and using a car for over 25 years... the second guy who answer my phone this arvo was not as friendly as the first guy who took my call this morning.

Hi Rusty,

I think he's talking through his backside.... :lol:

As long as you use the correct coolant you won't have a problem.
I used this one but there are plenty of other brands out there...

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Kimmie, if you are going to supply oil make sure you supply the correct oil or they won't use it (or at least I would hope so).

There is lots of discussion about oil suitable for a diesel in the FLUIDS topic. Don't get anything thicker than w40 and make sure it conforms to ACEA B4. You don't want ACEA Cx nor B5.

Hi Pip,

Thanks.. I am planning to use the oil that Rusty suggested me, Penrite HPR-5....  they are around $70.00 at SCA...

BTW, now that I calculate the total parts + oil + coolant that I need to purchase separately, PLUS their labour cost - total saving is not significant at all, only around $40.00 saving.. It's not worth it compare to the hassles and troubles of getting the parts separately...

My wife is certainly not happy with the amount of money I will spend on this 'first' service... our old Corolla normally only cost us $100 from our trustworthy mechanic... now suddenly I will spend over $300 for this car.. :-( As I said, we are not flush with money so really we need to carefully spend our money.

I will probably just buy the parts and have my old mechanic to install them for me and stamp my book... the only thing that I like about the HSC is because they have a computer to 'read' my ECU and make some adjustments - if needed.

Geez... who would have thought buying a 'modern' car can be this complicated... :-(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My local mechanical workshop has the equipment that is required for modern cars and have invested heavily to ensure they are properly equipped to service modern motor vehicles and anyone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was of the opinion that Hyundai had to supply any information requested by non-franchised mechanics.

I guess the difference is, I totally trust my family-run mechanical workshop who have always acted with honesty and integrity whereas I do not trust dealership-run service departments.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't need to update the ECU if all is working ok. Remember the saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it." It has been known that updates can cause problems rather than fix them. To preserve your warranty, make sure whomever ends up servicing your car is qualified to do so.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks.. I am planning to use the oil that Rusty suggested me, Penrite HPR-5....  they are around $70.00 at SCA...

Hey Ben, that wasn't me.... :whistler:  :D

If I was gonna suggest some, and, knowing you're on limited funds, I'd would say go with Castrol's 5W30 Edge Titanium....but,do try to buy it when it's on special.....

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Castrol-Edge-Engine-Oil-5W-30-5-Litre.aspx?pid=299206&menuFrom=60103#Description

BTW, now that I calculate the total parts + oil + coolant that I need to purchase separately, PLUS their labour cost - total saving is not significant at all, only around $40.00 saving.. It's not worth it compare to the hassles and troubles of getting the parts separately...

There will be a much bigger saving on your next service as they replace the fuel filter at 60,000k which costs around $130 if bought from the dealer. Buy it on ebay and you'll get it for around $50.....

Pip
I supply oil only and have the rest supplied by dealer. As you say, much easier and not really that much difference. I just pulled out my 45k service receipt: significant costs were coolant $33, oil filter $30 and labour $140.  Al l plus GST for a total of $246 plus own oil.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal