i30 Owners Club

6 month / 7,500km service

rickai · 42 · 12534

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Maybe the Shell is overpriced. I paid a lot more for my Penrite, if I remember correctly.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Maybe the Shell is overpriced. I paid a lot more for my Penrite, if I remember correctly.

Maybe it is.  :undecided:
I would pay up to $100 for 5 or 6 litres for an oil if I knew that it was far superior to other oils.
I don't believe in skimping on oils, never have.
I'm at the stage in life now where I intend to keep this car at least until the end of its warranty, but possibly beyond and I want to put the best quality oil in it from the beginning of its life that I can afford and continue to use the same oil throughout its life.
I'd rather pay a bit extra knowing that it is benefitting the engine and increasing its longevity.
I do find the whole topic quite confusing though, being a non-technical type person.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I just had a look at Malz and they have this:

Product:   OIL ENGINE HPR DIESEL 5L
Part Number:   HPRD005
Brand:   PENRITE
Item Code:   PEND0005
Price (inc gst):    $37.88 EA
Stock Level:   In Stock

Yeah not the stuff db08
one I got was
simply HPR 5 Fully Synthetic

Part #:HPR05005 and yes it does come in 6 ltr,I am sitting here now looking at one of the empty bottles I got last weekend,personally myself I won't use shell helix,mobil or Valoline products over the past forty years I've tried many,always been happy in the end with Penrite, Red line and Fucsh's, so many oils now everyone has their favorites.
 any how, no wukin forries using Penrite,have to get on shank's pony walk to the car, hit the frog and toad and go and see the skin and blister at her Mickey Mouse and put on the feed bag
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Rick, but when I googled Penrite and checked out the oil you mentioned, Penrite actually say that they would recommend the diesel specific oil over and above that one (on their website).
That is the one I was referring to.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
db08 yeah realised what you were saying, most of the Mech's I've spoken to about the oils,(as I did see Penrites recommendations on the deisel 5)couldn't fathom why and oil company would recommend a semi syn oil over a fully syn oil which has the exactly same write up on most oil research pages,even their own,maybe just to target the tighwads out their,sorry these days I'll always pick Full Syn over mineral base or semi mineral base semi syn.

Again it is all down to personal preference
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I don't have the knowledge, Rick, to make that determination.
I would have thought too that a fully synthetic oil would be better than a semi.
But that's what threw me when I researched their website because they are definitely saying for light diesel engines such as ours that their oil of choice would be the semi for the diesel.
I ran fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra in my last diesel i30 and I was very happy with it, so I am sceptical about an oil that is half the price and semi-synthetic.  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why not ask them directly  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

On the Penrite website you can type in your car's make/model etc and it comes up with the recommended product.
It appears that the preferred for i30 diesels is the HPR Diesel 5, with second choice HPR 5.
As per below, the HPR 5 can be had in 5 or 6 litre containers as you said, Rick, whereas HPR Diesel 5 is 5 litre.
I still don't know why a semi-synthetic oil would be recommended over a fully synthetic oil by the oil company, but it is and I guess they have their reasons.
I do like the price of it.
I called into SuperCheap today to have a look and I think they had every different type except HPR Diesel 5.  :rolleyes:
I wonder what difference, if any, it would make to replace the manual gearbox oil with Penrite too?
I'm reading things on the 'net indicating it might be a big improvement in shift quality.
While the U2/6 speed is a big improvement over U1/5speed, it's still not perfect and can be caught out.

HPR DIESEL 5
Pack Sizes: 1 Litre, 5 Litre, 10 Litre, 20 Litre, 60 Litre, 205 Litre, 1000 Litre

or HPR 5
Pack Sizes: 1 Litre, 5 Litre, 6 Litre, 10 Litre, 20 Litre, 60 Litre, 205 Litre
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Replacing the gearbox oil is on my "to do" list...  :whistler:

I'm thinking it might help improve things a little on the 5 speeder....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I looked at the site for Penrite,it is similar to most oil provider sites, I then rang them up and posed the question , I was informed this is just the way the page is set out, they are only offering you the information they ARE NOT recommending one over the other as this could lead to legal action

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Dave, I think the Diesels are stacked on a different shelf at Supercheap

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-HPR-Diesel-5-Engine-Oil-5W-40-10-Litre.aspx?pid=123724&menuFrom=60104#Description

No, they had all the other diesel oils there Dazz, heaps of them, just not that one.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal