i30 Owners Club

Ikea trip sucessful

ikev85 · 20 · 7408

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
my i30's first Ikea trip was a success. and yes, I changed how I strapped the box down before I took off lol.

also added in a few pics of very frosty tail lamps from a few days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
 :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Like those rear LED's.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Kev (Did you see what I did there)  :D

Thanks for the photos.. You may be aware, but just letting you know that you can post photos much larger than 50kb by hosting them via Photobucket or similar...  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
Yeah I know, I'm just lazy. I try to use my iPad for alot of my computing and tapatalk only lets 1024x768 max resolution.
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, now we car admire your car properly (very nice)  :goodjob:

P.S. I wasn't having a shot at you, more concerned with you struggling to get your photos under 50kb...

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nice photos!!  I like the tail lights too.

I don't mind Ikea, although the wife hates it.  We did go to the cafe there for lunch one day, we ordered a sandwich which came out in plastic bags "unassembled" with instructions and an allen key.  We followed the instructions and put together the sandwich, but we ended up with two bits of tomato left over.  I went over the instructions to make sure that we had followed them correctly, and we had.  I decided to keep the tomatoes, just incase we needed them later on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very wise Jamie :lol:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Let's try this:

The box seems more horizontal in the second photo but the roof bars seem to be in the same place so how did you level up the box?

I don't know what the box weighs but Ikea gear tends to be heavy  :)  so perhaps a restraining strap to stop the box moving forward under heavy braking would seem advisable? If an emergency stop is needed that box could slide out and become a projectile. :faint:

Bit like people who strap down hardboard sheets or a mattress across the roof bars without realising that the front edge WILL lift  when the car moves but drop back when stopped............ if the load isn't ripped off beforehand.  :eek:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know what the box weighs but Ikea gear tends to be heavy  :)  so perhaps a restraining strap to stop the box moving forward under heavy braking would seem advisable? If an emergency stop is needed that box could slide out and become a projectile. :faint:
Read ikev85's first post, the way the load was strapped down was changed before leaving Ikea.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Read ikev85's first post, the way the load was strapped down was changed before leaving Ikea.

I did...and?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I did...and?
Well your former post mentioning advice on how the load should be restrained meant that you didn't notice that ikev85 had "noted" and changed the way in which he had strapped the load as to the earlier pictures that were taken.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Nice photos!!  I like the tail lights too.

I don't mind Ikea, although the wife hates it.  We did go to the cafe there for lunch one day, we ordered a sandwich which came out in plastic bags "unassembled" with instructions and an allen key.  We followed the instructions and put together the sandwich, but we ended up with two bits of tomato left over.  I went over the instructions to make sure that we had followed them correctly, and we had.  I decided to keep the tomatoes, just incase we needed them later on.

Yes, I prefer to buy my women in packs from Ikea.
It does take a while to screw them together but well worth the effort in the end as the ending is usually a happy one.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
Ugh yeah I have a plastic bag full of misc IKEA parts and pieces.

@baraduer: yeah I re-tied the box down so it wouldn't move forward or backward with wind resistance or heavy braking. As for the box it must just be the angle of the photos. I didn't move it.
I was sort of worried it would run into the shark fin antenna but it had 3-4cm of clearance.

Also I must say the car wasn't very happy having to push that brick through the air on the freeway. It was raining a bit but the car felt like it was being blown around a lot and I had to actually downshift going up a grade. Just something to keep in mind I guess when loading cargo.
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I did...and?
Well your former post mentioning advice on how the load should be restrained meant that you didn't notice that ikev85 had "noted" and changed the way in which he had strapped the load as to the earlier pictures that were taken.

But there was no detail of what had changed so was it restrained from sliding forward?

However, I was more interested in how the levelling up  (if any) had been arranged.  It may be that it just appears the load  level has altered between the two photos rather than it was re-arranged to level it up.

drew peacock
swedes love ikea as much as u brits...used to hate going there when i lived in london..here it's a dodle

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
But there was no detail of what had changed so was it restrained from sliding forward?

However, I was more interested in how the levelling up  (if any) had been arranged.  It may be that it just appears the load  level has altered between the two photos rather than it was re-arranged to level it up.
All your answers are in the post prior to your last "reply 14" :wink:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: drew peacock
swedes love ikea as much as u brits...

Don't tar all us brits with that brush :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
i'll take ikea any day over the Americana crap that gets sold in most furniture stores here in the US. overstuffed grossness for giant houses: :link: UGLY FURNITURE - YouTube

@baradeur: i kept one of the tie downs going crossways and one front to back so it wouldn't move either way. And it must be the angle of the picture as the cross bars are equal height front to back
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal