i30 Owners Club

TPMS valve failure.

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Ho hum, had four new tyres fitted 10 days ago and all was well. Yesterday whilst driving the ole Low pressure warning light came on with the indicator for the NSF tyre. Pumped it up and headed back to tyre bay today, thinking had a puncture. Nope, the rubbers on the TPMS valve had perished! Got a standard valve as a temporary until I pick up the new one.  :evil:

New valve on order, but will see what dealer says about the old one.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Just had mine replaced, dealer checked with hyundai uk and they are covered by 5yr warranty, mine snapped on the thred, dealer said it must have been 'corrosion' :wink: took about 40mins to replace and program.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well I hope my valves last longer than you guys, and longer than 5 years too :eek:

Would be nice to know what an out-of-warranty replacement set would cost, and whether it's possible to disable the TPMS radio reception (in cases where the cost of replacing outweighs the benefit of the system itself).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Well I hope my valves last longer than you guys, and longer than 5 years too :eek:

Would be nice to know what an out-of-warranty replacement set would cost, and whether it's possible to disable the TPMS radio reception (in cases where the cost of replacing outweighs the benefit of the system itself).

http://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/acatalog/Hyundai.html

Obvioulsy dealer will likely be more, looks like about half that to import (google schrader airaware)

Cheap(er!) import

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Schrader-AirAware-TPMS-Replacement-Sensor-28983-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c492f40bfQQitemZ190206394559QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Lorian, you beat me to it with your link.

Have also found this,

http://www.dmtyresupplies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=230

These sensors are used for various cars does not specify i30 but I bet if you had the details they could get it at this price.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Lorian, you beat me to it with your link.

http://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/acatalog/Hyundai.html

£69.33 for one valve :eek:

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Shambles you were quick with that reply. I was modding my post.

I bet Hyundai price is about £120.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I added an ebay auction to my post above - much better value, about £30 delivered to the UK from the USA.

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Well I had good news and bad news re my replacement valve today, bad news the sealing rubber for the locking nut hadn't turned up, but should be in tomorrow. Good news, Hyundai are paying for it under warranty, so saved me £55 odd plus VAT.

Mark

Offline jp

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall, UK
just had two new tyres on the front and during the process the tyre fitter snapped off one of the valve stems

I discussed this with him and agreed that the threaded portion of the alloy stem seemed corroded. The  point where it snapped was where the valve cap ends, presumably a good area for corrosion. Having a chat with the manager and the fitter they suggested that this was a common problem with these sensor valves, not just hyundai. I'm going to ask my local dealer that this should be replaced under warranty as it is a manufacturing defect, ie the part was not designed correctly and was likely to fail. I'll let you know how I get on.

It does occur to me that these weakened by corroded components could fail at an inconvenient time, eg whilst travelling at speed.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Useful info JP. Thanks.

Still, better than a Fiesta with no TPMS eh? (just trying to make you feel better)

For sure, I'd pursue this under warranty; keep us informed please

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Presumably it had a metal valve cap? Best to keep the plastic ones with TPMS.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's a standard procedure for removal and refitting of tyres on wheels with pressure sensor valves.
Doesn't matter how corroded the valve stem may be, if it's done properly there'll be no contact between the tyre bead and the valve, so it won't break off.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline jp

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall, UK
Presumably it had a metal valve cap? Best to keep the plastic ones with TPMS.
nope,  silver plastic one. I was thinking crevice corrosion as opposed to galvanic

Offline jp

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall, UK
There's a standard procedure for removal and refitting of tyres on wheels with pressure sensor valves.
Doesn't matter how corroded the valve stem may be, if it's done properly there'll be no contact between the tyre bead and the valve, so it won't break off.
I imagine my generally competent tyre fitter has come across these before. I'm told that the stem snapped whilst the valve insert was being removed, a fairly benign operation. I don't see why these valves are made with corrodible, ie aluminium alloy threaded stems and so therefore more susceptible to damage. Standard stems are made of sturdier stuff, presumably because failure and subsequent deflation could be catastrophic. This valve is 2 years old, and doesn't inspire me with any confidence in the longevity of the remaining three valves.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I  know it doesn't help you, but it's a good warning to the rest of us to keep these threads clean and sealed from the elements, thanks.

It will be interesting to see what Hy say.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the stock valve stems are made from brass with a rubber outside wall that pulls through the rim when fitted.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline jp

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall, UK
All OK now.

took the car to local Hyundai dealer for a service  3 weeks ago, showed them the valve and asked that it be replaced under warranty. They took the valve and said they would 'send it to Hyundai'. This  morning I took the car in and the valve was replaced. The new one looks like the old one.
 I don't know if it's a general problem or that they decided to do it under warranty as the easiest course. I think I'll be especially careful on the next tyre change.

I would have liked to have discussed the problem with someone, say a mechanic, but garages being what they are nowadays one can't get past the 'reception' staff.  I have in the past asked the reception staff if I could speak to the mechanics but as the reception are mostly young ladies and I have passed the age (I think it was 45) when young ladies take any notice of what I say  or are inclined to do me any favours  it was fruitless.Thank goodness my local bike mechanic is not like that, I can just wonder down there and talk to a bloke in overalls amid the oily chaos.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Nice one jp. The threads are very fragile so I am very careful when checking pressures.

Offline MikeSkel

• 1st Gear
I had one of these break on me, exactly the same as in the pictures above. Got mine booked in, was told it would cost £120 odd. I reluctantly agreed as it needed doing, when it came to paying, a guy walked past just as I was about to pay and told me to turn around and walk away. In the time from me breaking it, Hyundai had apparently decided that the tyre valves were covered by the warranty  :D

Walked out of that dealership with the biggest grin on my face. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I had one of these break on me, exactly the same as in the pictures above. Got mine booked in, was told it would cost £120 odd. I reluctantly agreed as it needed doing, when it came to paying, a guy walked past just as I was about to pay and told me to turn around and walk away. In the time from me breaking it, Hyundai had apparently decided that the tyre valves were covered by the warranty  :D

Walked out of that dealership with the biggest grin on my face. 

Nice result - congrats..  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
A TPMS warning light came on this time on one of the rear tyres - (see my other post).
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6351.0.html

I  initially tried to add air using a mini tyre inflator but it made no headway. I checked to see if it was connected to the tyre correctly and could feel air  from around the valve.  This suggested that the connector on the mini inflator was not connecting properly as no air was entering the tyre.  I therefore took the car to an air line at the garage and bingo - the valve broke off when I attached the air line meaning I had to replace the wheel.

The car has only done 10K miles and is due its first service at the end of September.  I'll take it into a dealer tomorrow (not the one I bought it from which is in another town).  Will be interesting to see if I get the valve replaced under warranty as they seem to very costly. 

I've tried to post up a couple of pictures.  Members might be able to advise if this looks like corrosion.  I'd read about valves snapping on the thread and was really careful when I attached the air line at the garage.

Cheers
Twempie

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks a bit corroded to me :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Did you have the original plastic valve cap on it?

This is an cautionary article on these aluminium stems with gas station air supplies:

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B090700.PDF

Of course, its still not fit for the purpose, so you'll be expecting them to replace it under warranty....

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Yes - just the plastic cap that came with the tyre.   I looked at the link and the air hose was the preferred type described in the article (went to the air pump at Tesco).
cheers
Twempie

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting a warranty replacement then.

I just took the silver plastic caps off mine to clean the threads. Actually the caps are black plastic sprayed sliver.

Anyway, and this will of course seem obvious, but the threads on mine are dirty but not really corroded yet but the thread under the cap is like new. So what they need to do is spend an extra penny in manufacture and specify longer caps.

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Lorian.  I might try and buy a set of longer caps. I was thinking about how I could protect the exposed thread and had thought about adding a smearing of grease.  Longer caps are a better idea! 

When the car goes for its first service in September I'll ask the garage to check the condition of the other valves as this valve failure doesn't inspire me with confidence.
Cheers
Twempie

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Another thought - What do you clean you wheels with - anything acidic?

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Autoglym Clean Wheels which is left on for a minute, worked in and sprayed off.  

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_196195_langId_-1_categoryId_165682#dtab

Checked the ingredients and it says it contains phosphoric acid. A chemical reaction perhaps?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal