i30 Owners Club

Australian examples of service cost

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got the 45k service done today,

$100 plus oil which I supplied ($60) also got one of those tyres I picked up fitted to the spare rim. 

Oh and they washed the car too. When has your dealer ever done that for free?

They washed my car as part of the free 1000k service...... :D

My car's going in for it's 30,000k service on Thursday. I'm supplying oil and filters (oil, cabin & fuel) and they've quoted me a rough price of around $230....

You did well, my car was still out the front in the exact spot I left it, which seemed extremely lucky given how busy the place is.

$230 when your supplying everything? While there doing it, perhaps you can call into your local police station to report a robbery...... :whistler: :happydance: :lol:

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
$230 when your supplying everything? While there doing it, perhaps you can call into your local police station to report a robbery...... :whistler: :happydance: :lol:

Didn't think it was that bad considering what others have been quoted...... :undecided:
By the way, I'm not supplying the brake fluid which is due to be changed at this service.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, it's just a rough price at this stage, you never know, it may be less....or more.... :neutral:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, it ended up costing a bit less....$223.75 to be exact....... :)

$25.94 of it was for brake fluid, windscreen washer solution and injector cleaner. There was also a $5.00 environmental charge and $2.50 for unspecified workshop supplies. Labour cost $169.99. The remainder was the gst.

Wheels were also balanced and rotated.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's pretty good Rusty for a dealer service  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I wonder how much more it would have been if he hadn't provided any fluids?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wonder how much more it would have been if he hadn't provided any fluids?

When I had the 15,000k service they knocked $70 off the service cost when I supplied my own oil......

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I wasn't aware dealers would be willing for you to supply your own oil and parts.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wasn't aware dealers would be willing for you to supply your own oil and parts.

Must admit I wasn't sure what the reaction would be when I supplied the aftermarket fuel and cabin filters but they never said a thing...... :D  :goodjob:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Must admit I wasn't sure what the reaction would be when I supplied the aftermarket fuel and cabin filters but they never said a thing...... :D  :goodjob:

In my experience, they never do. And why should they?

It's your car and they are only a service provider you engage to fit the parts. They need the work and if they started telling potential customers that they wouldn't fit customer supplied parts, they would go broke in a big hurry.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Just got back from having my i30 diesel's first service (1,000 km).

I asked how much the 15k one was. He said $350 but wasn't sure if it included the "special and exclusive" Hyundai supplied oil for the diesel. It's a fully synthetic 10w50 oil. He wrote down the service costs for the intervals up to 60,000 km. So, it'll be interesting to see how much they actually cost. But given that it'll take me years to get to even the 40,000 kay service, chances are pretty good that the prices will have increased by then.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You can bet on that  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I asked how much the 15k one was. He said $350 but wasn't sure if it included the "special and exclusive" Hyundai supplied oil for the diesel. It's a fully synthetic 10w50 oil. He wrote down the service costs for the intervals up to 60,000 km. So, it'll be interesting to see how much they actually cost. But given that it'll take me years to get to even the 40,000 kay service, chances are pretty good that the prices will have increased by then.

That price would surely have to include the oil as I only paid $142 (I supplied my own oil and filter)
Even then, what you're been quoted seems quite high. I'd shop around a bit if possible.
And I wonder what the go is with the type of oil they quoted...normal oil for the diesel is 5w 30 or 0w40..... :undecided:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
That price would surely have to include the oil as I only paid $142 (I supplied my own oil and filter)
Even then, what you're been quoted seems quite high. I'd shop around a bit if possible.
And I wonder what the go is with the type of oil they quoted...normal oil for the diesel is 5w 30 or 0w40..... :undecided:

I think it's pretty standard Dealer price if you compare to what my dealer quoted me in the first post of this thread.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think it's pretty standard Dealer price if you compare to what my dealer quoted me in the first post of this thread.

Well, with 2 dealers....there seems to be a fair variation otherwise..... :undecided:

Going by what I paid, and with the cost of oil and filter added, I reckon they are charging minimum one hundred bucks too much....  :confused:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Just to ressurect an ancient thread, my diesel i30 had its 15,000km service on Friday at (www.wights.com.au). Total cost, $260...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
A bit more realistic sum than the original $350 you were quoted...... :goodjob:

By the way, did they use the "special and exclusive" Hyundai supplied oil?  :whistler:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
A bit more realistic sum than the original $350 you were quoted...... :goodjob:

By the way, did they use the "special and exclusive" Hyundai supplied oil?  :whistler:
Dunno what oil was used. I haven't scrutinised the invoice, yet. I think that it's in the glovebox as I type. I'll dig it out and see what they listed.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Finally gotten around to fishing out the bill for the 15,000km service.

The oil used was C3 fully synth 5W30 which cost $90.

A "service kit-oil" cost $27, whatever that is. One for "windscreen" cost $5. Presumably that was washer fluid. I only just noticed that one.
The labor component was $67.50.

Total for the invoice was $229.10.

And there you have it.

I was listening to the radio and motoring journo Paul Gover (Herald-Sun newspaper) was on. He mentioned that Hyundai and other manufacturers were spruiking fixed price servicing. However, he said that it was only for the first few services. The later ones, the more expensive ones where more is done, weren't fixed price ones. Not surprising, really.

Anyway, just got back from the dealer. It had replaced a failed electric door lock actuator (right rear). Under warranty, had the car in there for a couple of hours after calling them this morning and asking if OK to drop it off then. So, from that perspective they did OK. The car was to get a wash (complimentary). But when I got there to pick it up it was in a queue and would be half an hour, so I declined. Pity, as it would have saved the missus from doing it...

Offline officialphotographer

• 2nd Gear
  • Real Estate Photographer - Mike

• au Australia
      Cairns, QLD

• 2012 2nd Gen Hyundai i30 1.8L Petrol, 6 Spd Manual
My servicing is capped at $219 til 45.000k. Only up to 600k so haven't seen what they try to add on yet 8-)
  • 2012 2nd Gen Hyundai i30 1.8L Petrol, 6 Spd Manual

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
My servicing is capped at $219 til 45.000k. Only up to 600k so haven't seen what they try to add on yet 8-)

Mine is capped at $289 for the diesel, 15000km service getting done on Friday
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The new i30 comes with fixed priced servicing but from memory only for the first few services.
I'll have to check.
But the pricing was $280 + (two hundred & eighty something) per service.
Still not as cheap as it should be. I can still get the same servicing done at my local trusted mechanical workshop for 50-70% of those costs.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
Here's a link to capped price servicing for all current Aussie models.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/owners/icare/capped-price-servicing

A close look at this section of the Hyundai Australia website reveals other information about icare such as mapcare.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Being the cheap so and sos that they are, they cover two minor and one major service for one slightly less inflated price.

Given that I'm getting the 15000 service for free on the wife's car, I thought I might do the 30000 with Hyundai, but $289 is still dear for the major service, compared with what I can get it for outside the evil clutches of the dealer servicing network. This could change closer to the date, dependant on pricing of the bits and pieces.

$289 for a minor service is robbery plain and simple.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If they held the spanner a different way they would be off to jail  :twisted:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Listen to the current Hy ads on TV, "The best after sales warranty in Australia" or words to that effect. Sounds really enticing.  :whistler:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just got some oil for the next service at Hyundai to try and make the service cheaper.

Apparently the car needs 5.3L for oil change. I bought 5L x 2. When people have been supplying oil to their mechanics have you guys been providing 5L or more than that to cover the amount.

I looked at the invoice for the previous 15000km service and I think they charged me about $85 including GST for the oil, but on phoning them last week they said the service would probably be around $60 cheaper.

Do you think it is reasonable to insist on a deduction equivalent to what they charged you at the last service for oil, ie they shouldn't rack up the price of other stuff just because you bring your own oil.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
They're making a killing on the filters too, try to supply them as well, that's what I do and the price drops significantly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Con,

Often they can't fit more than 5.0 litres in the CRDi .. when we had ours and I supplied the oil the 1 litre bottle always came back untouched.

I only got one Service done by the local stealer dealer when we had our CRDi and I supplied Castrol Edge sport which cost me about $40 at the time and you guessed it they only too $40 off for the oil  :fum:

... One of the reasons I didn't use them again. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal