i30 Owners Club

Nelson Mandela has died, aged 95

Guest · 6 · 1618

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
DECEMBER 06, 2013

NELSON Mandela, South Africa's first black president, has died at the age of 95.

He passed away in the company of his family at around 8:50pm on December 5, South African President Jacob Zuma said in a statement to the nation's people.

"He is now rested, he is now at peace," Mr Zuma said, as huge crowds grew outside the former leader's home. "Our nation has lost its greatest son, our people have lost a father.

"But though we knew that this day would come, nothing can diminish our sense of the profound and enduring loss.

"Although we knew that this day would come, nothing can diminish the profound and enduring loss."
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mandela family."

The man credited with dismantling South Africa's system of apartheid which institutionalised racism, Mandela was an international symbol of reconciliation and human rights.

Read more: Nelson Mandela has died, aged 95 | News.com.au

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Bbc broke into tv programme at 21.48 to bring the news
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Vale Nelson Mandela. One of this planet's greatest fighters for freedom of the opressed black Africans. He will be sadly missed.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't profess to know a lot about the history of apartheid in South Africa.
I do remember visiting Cape Town in 1968 and before we disembarked from the ship we were told about it and were told that we were not allowed to associate with blacks.
I remember walking along a street in Cape Town with my parents and a group of blacks saw us and immediately crossed to the other side of the road so as not to breach the apartheid laws.
I also remember as a child, my father telling me that Mandela was a terrorist who associated with international terrorists and killed thousands of innocent white men, women and children.
From the (part) article I have posted below, it seems that Mandela may have acknowledged some wrong-doings himself by stating that he shouldn't be placed on a pedestal and he was as flawed as the next man.
I'm sure he did a lot of good, but I do wonder whether historical facts have been "cleansed" by modern media and he is being portrayed as something that he was not always.

Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists. Here are some highlights

-Church Street West, Pretoria, on the 20 May 1983

-Amanzimtoti Shopping complex KZN, 23 December 1985

-Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court, 17 March 1988

-Durban Pick ‘n Pay shopping complex, 1 September 1986

-Pretoria Sterland movie complex 16 April 1988 – limpet mine killed ANC terrorist M O Maponya instead

-Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court, 20 May 1987

-Roodepoort Standard Bank 3 June, 1988

Tellingly, not only did Mandela refuse to renounce violence, Amnesty refused to take his case stating “[the] movement recorded that it could not give the name of ‘Prisoner of Conscience’ to anyone associated with violence, even though as in ‘conventional warfare’ a degree of restraint may be exercised.”

Two of the ANC’s biggest donors, in the 1990s, were Colonel Muammar Gaddafi of Libya and President Suharto of Indonesia . Not only did Mandela refrain from criticising their lamentable human rights records but he interceded diplomatically on their behalf, and awarded them South Africa ‘s highest honour. Suharto was awarded a state visit, a 21-gun salute, and The Order of Good Hope (gold class).

In April 1999 Mandela acknowledged to an audience in Johannesburg that Suharto had given the ANC a total of 60 million dollars. An initial donation of 50 million dollars had been followed up by a further 10 million. The Telegraph ( London ) reported that Gaddafi was known to have given the ANC well over ten million dollars.

The apartheid regime was a crime against humanity; as illogical as it was cruel.  It is tempting, therefore, to simplify the subject by declaring that all who opposed it were wholly and unswervingly good. It's important to remember, however, that Mandela has been the first to hold his hands up to his shortcomings and mistakes. In books and speeches, he goes to great length to admit his errors. The real tragedy is that too many in the West can’t bring themselves to see what the great man himself has said all along; that he’s just as flawed as the rest of us, and should not be put on a pedestal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
As they say, "One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist."
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal