i30 Owners Club

Word of warning about Spider tuning box

eyecon · 7 · 7090

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Been off the grid for a while now, but I felt compelled to post this up because potential Spider tuning box buyers should be aware. I've had the misfortune to experience a terminal problem with my spider tuning box and then the added mis-pleasure of dealing with the knob-head MD of the company. So what better way of illustrating this than to simply attach my email correspondence with him and the company. My correspondence begins at the bottom of the page.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Unfortunately the unit has lasted a fairly long time. what was the warranty period offered at purchase.

Very frustrating for you.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Warranty issues can be very frustrating,but from how I am Reading the letters,not wishing to support Spider,but as I said the way I read the letters they have bent over backwards to help.

When in fact you should have taken the unit back to who you purchased it from,when you read most warranty information,it does state to take the items back to who you purchased them from,to go through what is usually a very long and drawn out event.

I am in a similar situation with a Shuroo I bought,not from Strayban themselves,but was bought and installed by the dealer I got the car from,technically I should take the unit back to the dealer,but I have chosen to contact Strayban direct and awaiting their responce,to see if they have a repairer in our state. before posting it straight back to them,with a covering letter.

The unit has been preforming flawlessly for two years and just failed the other day,I hold no grudge against either the manufacturer nor the dealer,electronic items fail,some may work for years upon years were others will last but a few days past their warranty expiry date,this is the risk you take with any electronic item you add to your vehicle which is not a standard item.

I know this is going to take time to sort out,but in my case I have their phone number and if I don't get a responce in days,I will be ringing them personally,plus in my case my item is out of warranty and I know it is my cost to have it fixed,if I wish to put it back on the car. I am only trying to find out if I can get it repaired here in WA or have to send it too Queensland.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:40:49 by Rick-without the P »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Unfortunately the unit has lasted a fairly long time. what was the warranty period offered at purchase.

Very frustrating for you.  :fum:

warranty should be 5 years as per their website. But it really didn't matter to me because I just wanted it fixed and I was prepared to pay for it if I had to. 

Hi there Rick.  I thought about what you were saying too but he shouldn't have led me up the garden path like that.  But what ticked me off was the constant lack of communication and his arrogance. I just couldn't lay down and take whatever he wanted and whenever he wanted.  As soon as he effectively said he couldn't fix it I let him have it because I knew I didn't want the unit back anyway. Maybe I should have given it back to the re seller, but I thought I'd do the right thing and give him first crack at it seeing as though the unit would inevitably end up at his facility anyway via the re seller.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I hope no permanent damage were done to your i30   :undecided: some crappy customer service they've got. If you getting a replacement, you could try racechip, I have one for about a year and half now on my i30 GD, running perfectly fine. It's abit early to say whether they good or not but they're Germany company and research tells me they're more reliable than other companies.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi rickai
I posted a comparison between these two ages ago:

2 Diesel tuning boxes - dyno comparison results

But I see the dyno chart that I posted up no longer works. I'll see if I can dig it up if anyone is still interested.  I originally had the racechip pro and I never had any problems with that either during the time I had it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal