K & N Air Filter

Guest · 69 · 19089

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Memories, some things you just never forget.  :D
I have many vivid memories from my rallying days. I think it's true that when things are happening quickly in a car your mind goes into slow motion and everything seems to be imprinted clearly - for evermore.
Of course, most of the REALLY clear ones are from "moments". :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

• MY2011 Elantra Touring, Automatic. Ottawa, Ont. CA
Man I LOVE watching rallys! I wish I could learn to drive like that.

In my link to "bobistheoilguy" he actually shows how much dirt gets past a K&N filter after 500 miles, slightly more than even a paper filter. Although the dirt was VERY fine, i was surprised at how much ALL of the filters let through. Either way, from that article it doesn't seem like there is much difference between either a performance or paper drop in filter. You can get a *little* more power, but let a *little* bit more dirt in. No matter what you use, they seem pretty close.

CAIs on the other hand seem to be a different story.

...I'm off to find reviews on AEM dryflow drop in filters..
  • Elantra Touring GL, Automatic

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

In my link to "bobistheoilguy" he actually shows how much dirt gets past a K&N filter after 500 miles, slightly more than even a paper filter. Although the dirt was VERY fine, i was surprised at how much ALL of the filters let through.

I think that's the key. Whatever comes through should be small enough to NOT have an abrasive effect on the bore or rings.
In any case, with mine even wiping a white cloth over the intakes after a rally produced no noticeable markings so I'm confident they were extremely efficient.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Re-inforced by the fact that your engines remained reliable and competitive  :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Re-inforced by the fact that your engines remained reliable and competitive  :goodjob:
True I guess.
But they weren't overly stressed. Some work on the ports and the combustion chambers, thanks to a good mate.
However, I DID work them hard. :-[

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
True I guess.
But they weren't overly stressed. Some work on the ports and the combustion chambers, thanks to a good mate.

How do you work an engine hard but not "overly stress it" is there such a thing as "relaxed fast"in a rally environment :question:  :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
True I guess.

How do you work an engine hard but not "overly stress it" is there such a thing as "relaxed fast"in a rally environment :question:  :mrgreen:
Sorry. I worked them hard. But in the "modifications" department they weren't overly stressed. Some guys used to spend thousands on engine development. Even if I could have afforded it I wouldn't have spent that sort of money (too much Scottish in my blood  :whistler:).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Understand now  :goodjob2: : :-[

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

Has anybody used the existing tubing and airbox and clamped cone filter in there, instead of a drop in? I saw in one picture somewhere where somebody was able to do that. That would be pretty cool.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I still don't see why grown thinking people would bother wasting time with a performance filter in a naturally asiprated road car?

especially if it is new and still udner warranty.  I have been told a few times by Ford and a Hyundai dealer they might not void the warranty but they will give you trouble should you encounter an engine problem (they will try their best to prove your modification was the cause unless it can be proven otherwise).

You won't notice a difference.  If you do it will be your arse dyno telling you your car is faster, but it won't be.  You just pile on extra risks for your engine for no apparent gain?

Paper filters are cheap and do a better job filtering.  Just replace them every now and again and keep them clean in between.  How hard is that?

unlike some other cars the i30 has a pretty damn good intake/airbox design, I'd be hesitant to modify it in any way

my old peugeot I will always remember, had the intake tube run around and behind the engine, and the airbox/filter was fitted into the rocker cover.  Economy ftw!!!!!!!! the air filter was hot to touch sometimes...

Like I said before paper filters clog and don't let water in either which is a plus

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Lucky my i30 isn't naturally aspirated then.... :D

I fitted my K & N not for any performance gain, but to save money on buying disposable paper filters....

I guess time will tell if it was a bad move or not, but so far I'm quite happy..... :goodjob:

BTW, I can't see why grown thinking people would bother wasting time with a Peugeot..... :snigger:

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

I think realistically it should be more about saving money on buying replacement paper filters, and as a side benefit having those end up in the landfill sites. Power gains would be minimal if any for me as I rarely even go past 4000 or 5000 RPM.

Only thing I'm wondering about is how much damage the cleaning solutions do (both to the wallet and to the environment when they get poured down the drains).

It is always easy to remember to take replace with stock paper filter before going into the dealer for repair if they are going to complain about modifications.

However, for rustynutz if forced induction is being used, you kinda have to use these "performance" filters.

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
BTW, I can't see why grown thinking people would bother wasting time with a Peugeot..... :snigger:

*high 5* :snigger: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
However, for rustynutz if forced induction is being used, you kinda have to use these "performance" filters.

Really, why  :question:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I'm glad I did nine months research before buying my I30 Turbo and was thinking enough to throw the Puegeot out of the race early in the piece,I've run a K&N filter in my commodore V6 stroker for years, never had any sort of oil residue in the air intake manifold,not even any sign of dust,dirt or grit on the engine side of the filter, serviced regularly,all solvents for cleaning  and washing collected and taken to an approved ERS site for disposal, yes I bought mine  one to save money on paper filters,the plus for me was that the increased air flow in a modified cold air ram fed engine it did in fact increase HP by 15HP on the first Dyno test.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

Really, why  :question:

Well I'm thinking, if a turbo or surpercharger is being used, then the engine needs to suck up A LOT of extra air. Paper filters are more restrictive than those performance filters. It just seems like, why go through the trouble of installing a turbo/supercharger if you are just going to choose a more restrictive inlet to the whole thing? You are not forced to use performance filters, but why would you stick with the papers?

I might add, that the name "paper" filter seems to be a little misleading as it brings up images of lined paper, or printer paper being used for filters.

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
It just seems like, why go through the trouble of installing a turbo/supercharger if you are just going to choose a more restrictive inlet to the whole thing?

No ones gone to any trouble of installing a turbo, it's a turbo diesel FROM THE FACTORY!

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

ah..a turbo diesel from the factory! I didnt take the time the read his signature. I was thinking N.A. gasoline vs. Turbo gasoline engines.

Have u guys done tests for performance filters vs paper filters and if it give any big change in the boost pressures?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's why I asked, coz its turbo from the factory and they think it's ok to use paper  :mrgreen:

I will make the point that Rustynutz does achieve exceptional fuel consumption figures. Could this be a factor :question: :Dunno:

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Lucky my i30 isn't naturally aspirated then.... :D

turbodiesel? if you have a petrol engine and it's blown you're going to have to tell me all your secrets...

I wasn't grown nor thinking

truth be told I inherited it.  First car.  Most fun I have ever had in any car I've ever driven or owned or had a ride in, no joke.  It was a deathtrap though and I'd only ever own an old peugeot again for shits and giggles

drove like a big gokart!

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
ah there you go

I made the distinction between n/a and forced cars because on the latter, the filters can actually make a difference.

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

wish i could drive my car like a gokart. I wanted to get a used car for that reason. But the paranoid parents were getting all up about safety issues, and then I had to get an automatic in case I left the country next year and I needed to leave them the car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
wish i could drive my car like a gokart. I wanted to get a used car for that reason. But the paranoid parents were getting all up about safety issues, and then I had to get an automatic in case I left the country next year and I needed to leave them the car.

Sounds like you are fairly young (half your luck)  :mrgreen:

I am quite a bit older than I look  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

Old enough to be living on my own on and off for the past 6-7 years. but young enough that a bunch of my stuff is still at the parents and I can go back when the economy gets even worse than it is now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Old enough to be living on my own on and off for the past 6-7 years. but young enough that a bunch of my stuff is still at the parents and I can go back when the economy gets even worse than it is now.

:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

haha

your folks were right about safety.  I did NOT feel safe in that pug.  It was like driving a coke can with an engine, good fun but if I had an accident that was any more than a fender bender I'd be in serious trouble.  Only one airbag too.

It had several fuel leaks and some computer/sensor troubles too, sometimes it revved by itself even when i was braking

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
By far the worst for that "vulnerable" feeling has to be all the Citroen Saxo derivitives. My daughter had a 1.4 Furio and it was a nippy little thing and handled really well.

BUT... it felt really poorly made, rattled a lot and gave me no confidence at all that my young 'un would be protected in a shunt.

It had to go... and we helped her get into her first Suzuki Swift... which was so good she has another now after finding out Dad was right about Peugeot cabriolet poor rain protection and dodgy electrics...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
ROFLMAO, you blokes going on about nil safety, rattles and Bangs come for a ride in the Ol girl(our old wagon)we've had it from new,over the years I done or had done some mods,she still goes like a cut cat,handles like a go cart as you say,but if I hit something at the top end of the go range,it would be my coffin I think, I still get a kick out of driving her every now and then.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
But you guys dont have an annual MoT (safety) Test to get through, your cars only get them if you change State dont they? We cant let our cars turn into sheds and drive them 'til they fall to bits.  :eek:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Not sure about the other states, but in the west there's cars on the road here that wouldn't even get you two bob at the scrappers,our Ol wagon might not be pretty, but it is roadworthy, I have to transport my missus and my dog's in the Ol girl, so I'm not risking their lives.
I think NSW has a more stringent inspetion system,I went back to SA for a time when my mother got sick a couple of years ago,they have a great system,I borrowed a car off one of my old army mates,he had a car that had been unlicensed for over four years,just rang up an registered it, some weird ruleif the car was still in the name of the original owner they could just relicense them,but others from the other states could answer those things better,if I was a vehicle inspector here, a good 40 - 60 percent of the vehicles in WA would be off the road, not only cars either, Trucks, buses, bikes the lot, some of the sights you see on our roads just make you shake your head

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal