i30 Owners Club

Cant go 60km/h in 5th Gear! (5 Speed)

Nathan · 36 · 16958

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well I would think that's quite acceptable. 1300 rpm is not much more than a fast idle and it IS only 4 cylinders. There aren't enough power strokes happening for the engine to be smooth. Now in the Jaguar V12, I've heard that it is possible to drive the car from 0 in top gear :exclaim:

Mind you, you won't have a clutch for long.  :twisted:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I had the same problem with shaking car below 1500 revs in 5th gear. At my local HY dealer they recieved an update for the ecu just before summer. The update don´t remove the problem, but it allows you to drive in 5th gear from 1300 revs without that shaky feeling  :P

That is interesting.. hadn't heard of that ECU update before. You say it doesn't fix the problem but it allows you to drive at 1300 RPM ..so I guess what you are saying is it does shake under 1300 instead of under 1500 now?

Yep  :)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
There aren't enough power strokes happening for the engine to be smooth.  :twisted:

Hi

I dont agree with you about that.
I used to work at a VW dealer, their TDI engines have no problems whatsoever accellerating from idle/1000 revs. I believe it is lack of torque in the crdi that is the problem, but that´s just IMO.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
asterix

This is our 1st diesel so I was probably thinking in petrol engine mode again. I can't test what you say as ours are both auto, so I will take what you say on board.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ninja Turtle

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys
I donno if its a i30 thing or just my car but if i try to go 60km/h in 5th gear the car will shake. The revs are well above idle so its not stalling. Its a CRDI 1.6.
I had a talk to one of the guys at Hyundai and he said you need to be going at lest 80km/h (about 2000rpm) before you go into 5th.
Do you have any idea whats going on? I'm just trying to save fuel  :lol: 
Thanks

The speedometer on the i30 CDRi 1.6 is on the high side, so indicated 60kph is an actual GPS 54kph, this is too slow for the CDRi 1.6 in 5th gear, on flat road at GPS 60kph it will run, the shudder is more related to the engine not running smoothly at 60kph speed in 5th gear. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys
I donno if its a i30 thing or just my car but if i try to go 60km/h in 5th gear the car will shake. The revs are well above idle so its not stalling. Its a CRDI 1.6.
I had a talk to one of the guys at Hyundai and he said you need to be going at lest 80km/h (about 2000rpm) before you go into 5th.
Do you have any idea whats going on? I'm just trying to save fuel  :lol: 
Thanks

The speedometer on the i30 CDRi 1.6 is on the high side, so indicated 60kph is an actual GPS 54kph, this is too slow for the CDRi 1.6 in 5th gear, on flat road at GPS 60kph it will run, the shudder is more related to the engine not running smoothly at 60kph speed in 5th gear.

Spot on Ninja (great first post) Welcome to the club  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal